Initial set up advice and advice - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 05-13-2019, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Initial set up advice and advice

I’ve got a 347 with stock suspension and Nitto 555R drag radials on 17 inch combat replica wheels.

Car has TKO600 with Ram HD clutch, 31 spline axles, etc so driveline is built to handle the power.

What is recommended initial air pressure I should start with.

What would recommended launch RPM

My peak Hp on the dyno is 404 Hp at 5750 rpm. Planning to shift around 6200 to 6300 rpm

I’ve got Lakewood 70/30 front struts and Strange adjustable rear shocks to go on car but wanted to get initial numbers to compare the gains.

I’d like to lower the car a bit for looks. What springs would be best trade off?

1989 GT - 347 build in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
I would start at 2500rpm and slip the clutch. Raise rpm every pass to find the limit of the drag radials. Beware of axle hop - drag radials break sh*t when they shake.Tire pressure I would start around 20psi. No burnout, just clean them. Single or double adjustable shocks? You will have much better results with a set of slicks if you can get a hold of a pair. They are much more forgiving to a stick car. Good luck, have fun.

Stock Block 408", TFS 11R 205, Vic Jr, XFI 236HR, Tweecer, Faceplated TKO 500
10.60 @ 128.5mph

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Thanks for the tips. Got rained out last week.

The rears are single adjustable.

I have Maximum Motorsports LCA plus I still have the quad shocks in.

What normal breaks? I’ve got a fully built driveline.

31 spline, TKO600, reinforced torque boxes, new rear diff with carbon fiber friction plates, etc.

According to calculator it estimated high 11s with a 1.8 60 ft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Reef Blue View Post
I would start at 2500rpm and slip the clutch. Raise rpm every pass to find the limit of the drag radials. Beware of axle hop - drag radials break sh*t when they shake.Tire pressure I would start around 20psi. No burnout, just clean them. Single or double adjustable shocks? You will have much better results with a set of slicks if you can get a hold of a pair. They are much more forgiving to a stick car. Good luck, have fun.

1989 GT - 347 build in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old Today, 01:53 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
What breaks is whatever is behind the clutch if it has excessive base pressure and / or counterweight pressure. Not knowing the details of your Ram, just saying this in a generic context. Clutches as described, while good for a street car with power under the hood, will wreck havoc from the flywheel back when launched without any slippage ("dead hook) on slicks at higher RPMs. Transmissions and rear ends can and do fail as a result. But Id still rather race a clutch car any day over an automatic! Good luck and have fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement