UMI vs. conventional upper control arms - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-05-2019, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
USAF retired

Trader Feedback: (41)
UMI vs. conventional upper control arms

Besides the price, it looks like there's a difference in the rear mounting hole in the UMI uppers. Seems the hole is drilled lower on the rear mount, so that the control arm will be angled downward. Is this supposed to affect I/C and help keep the front end down?

UMI upper
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upi-1017-r/overview/

conventional upper where centerline of holes are parallel with centerline of the control arm
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmr-utca041r

1985 LTD LX, small truck motor, painted axle tubes, various mustang stuff.
1990 LX, junkyard explorer motor, ported explorer heads and intakes, weenie cam, 1.7s, 4.30s, stock T5 living on borrowed time. [email protected] so far
1984 LTD station wagon (Former Dugan Racing wagon) in work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
I'd have to think about this a while and do some calculations and plots to be sure, but it looks like that would cause the upper arms to pull upwards on the floor. That would make the rear separate and also make the front lift decrease.

I'd be a little careful with upper arms that are not adjustable yet alter the arm angles.

That "hit" only increases pressure until the axle settles in final position, and it would tend to seek level upper arm holes. The rear axle housing reaction to counter the tire force on the track tries to roll the housing top backwards.

My car comes out about 10,000 pounds pulling back at the holes, or 5K per hole. If you get that force line high it will put the car right on the bumper, so raising the arm rear should reduce front end lift.

My car likes the upper arms angled slightly down to the front before the hit. If I get my upper arms high in the front it goes on the bumper. If I get the arms angled down too much to the front it gets no weight transfer at all.

I have a Wild Rides S box.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #3 of 6 Old 02-05-2019, 02:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
Location of the hole on the control arm does not alter the actual angle of the arm, the mounting locations on the axle and chassis itself does. An offset hole on the arm may compromise strength of the arm though.

80 coupe, N/A 347, tko500 1.34, 6.30 @ 109.01, 9.87 @ 137.06

16 GT, daily driver on pump 93, Procharger 1.42, 6.31 @ 109.59, 9.80 @ 141.57
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2019, 08:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995gtCPE View Post
Location of the hole on the control arm does not alter the actual angle of the arm, the mounting locations on the axle and chassis itself does. An offset hole on the arm may compromise strength of the arm though.
Exactly.
When plotting the geometry you only measure the mounting holes/positions.. The shape the steel between the holes doesn't affect anything. Only draw a line from one bolt to the other bolt, this is the important angle for figuring geometry.

The rear mounting hole is offset from the centerline of the turnbuckle and this is actually a bad idea since this could bend the U channel under high loads/stress.

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter
USAF retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN$ View Post
Exactly.
When plotting the geometry you only measure the mounting holes/positions.. The shape the steel between the holes doesn't affect anything. ks
OK, that makes sense. I was wondering if the mounting point on the arm was them trying to manipulate something in the geometry.

1990 LX, junkyard explorer motor, ported explorer heads and intakes, weenie cam, 1.7s, 4.30s, stock T5 living on borrowed time. [email protected] so far
post #6 of 6 Old 02-10-2019, 07:57 AM Thread Starter
USAF retired

I had cross-posted this on YB, a UMI rep responded that they offset the holes as to avoid interference on some rearends.
https://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/s...9#post70402349

Sponsored Links
Advertisement