Rear drag springs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By KEVIN$

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 12-21-2018, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (16)
Rear drag springs

I looked into Team Z springs but they don't lower the car and I understand why. SN cars look horrible at stock ride height with a 26" tire. I currently have stiff H&R Race springs on the car. What stock replacement springs are you guys using at the track if you want a lower stance? I'm considering stock Fox V8 rear coils and they can be bought new. There are so many different stock replacement springs available at places like Rockauto. Some are progressive and others are linear. Any suggestions would be helpful.

CHP/CPR (Coast High Performance) / (Custom Performance Racing Engines)347 lasted a whopping 500 miles due to poor machining, metal debris in main bearings, damaged cam bearing and a balance job that was off 64ozs!
Buyer Beware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-21-2018, 07:31 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
I use these from Wolf Racecraft:

Wolfe Race Craft - Detail

To go along with these UHT springs. (UHT= Ultra High Travel)

https://www.hypercoils.com/wp-conten...co_catalog.pdf

With this combo, you can set rear ride height without compromising desired performance.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!

Last edited by Saleen414; 12-21-2018 at 07:33 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-21-2018, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
I use these from Wolf Racecraft:

Wolfe Race Craft - Detail

To go along with these UHT springs. (UHT= Ultra High Travel)

https://www.hypercoils.com/wp-conten...co_catalog.pdf

With this combo, you can set rear ride height without compromising desired performance.
Thanks Saleen, but that's too permanent for me. I know it's a great setup but I'd like to be able to switch back to a stock style spring. The car is more of a street car unless I really get bitten by the racing bug.

CHP/CPR (Coast High Performance) / (Custom Performance Racing Engines)347 lasted a whopping 500 miles due to poor machining, metal debris in main bearings, damaged cam bearing and a balance job that was off 64ozs!
Buyer Beware.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 11:27 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (4)
I run Team Z drag springs. Great spring IMO. But I run MM LCA w/ adjustable spring perch.

Stock block 306, V1 T-trim, AFM B-451 cam, TFS Twisted Wedge, Holley Systemax, A1000, Snow Meth, TKO 600, Team Z, Strange, MM, Lakewood and Moser helps me go forward fast.
post #5 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Corral Elite Member

Some people wouldn’t like this idea, but I wouldn’t mind. Buy the Team Z springs and cut them down a coil. Ya, having to cut a new spring sound horrible, but you’ll get a great drag spring, that is not bad on street, and you’ll get your desired ride height. Just a thought.

Stock block 306, V1 T-trim, AFM B-451 cam, TFS Twisted Wedge, Holley Systemax, A1000, Snow Meth, TKO 600, Team Z, Strange, MM, Lakewood and Moser helps me go forward fast.
post #6 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 12:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
If you've got good DBL adj shocks just use 4/6 cyl springs and use the shock settings to control the suspension.

Stiff springs make it harder for the shocks to control so the shock settings/valving need to be set stiffer to control them.

ks
Saleen414 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #7 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicCoupe View Post
Some people wouldn’t like this idea, but I wouldn’t mind. Buy the Team Z springs and cut them down a coil. Ya, having to cut a new spring sound horrible, but you’ll get a great drag spring, that is not bad on street, and you’ll get your desired ride height. Just a thought.
I have thought about this.

Buyer Beware.
post #8 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN$ View Post
If you've got good DBL adj shocks just use 4/6 cyl springs and use the shock settings to control the suspension.

Stiff springs make it harder for the shocks to control so the shock settings/valving need to be set stiffer to control them.

ks
I plan on using Strange 10 way rear shocks. I don't want too soft of a rear spring as the car sees mostly street duty for now. I know Team Z use to recommend the Fox V8 rear springs with one coil cut off.

Buyer Beware.
post #9 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasterthangas View Post
Quote:
I have thought about this.
I’d go this route if I were you, but just my opinion. My car is set up for track mostly, but I drive it on the street a fair amount. I can say I like the way the Team Z springs ride. Much better than the eibach drag springs I had. I also run Strange 10-way.

post #10 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I’d go this route if I were you, but just my opinion. My car is set up for track mostly, but I drive it on the street a fair amount. I can say I like the way the Team Z springs ride. Much better than the eibach drag springs I had. I also run Strange 10-way.
My son runs the Team Z springs and Strange 10 ways. His car does ride nice and seems to handle well. I guess I'll do the same. I'm kind of curious if the Team Z Fox springs are a different height than the SN springs. It might be worth throwing the Fox set on my '95.

Buyer Beware.
post #11 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 01:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
I plan on using Strange 10 way rear shocks. I don't want too soft of a rear spring as the car sees mostly street duty for now.
Why don't you want "too soft of a rear spring"?

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #12 of 24 Old 12-22-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN$ View Post
Why don't you want "too soft of a rear spring"?

ks
Body roll in tight turns and quick freeway maneuvers. I know it's a compromise trying to balance racing with street driving. I'll settle for a happy medium. I'm hitting the track again on Jan. 5th and do not want a repeat of my last performance. Spinning through three gears was not fun nor productive. Lol. I plan on running M/T ET Street 26x10.50 15 tires instead of radials also.

Buyer Beware.
post #13 of 24 Old 01-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (84)
Garage
ive used a few sets of team z springs and they lowered all my cars. the team z springs are rely on vehicle weight to work correctly. i believe the sn95 springs are for cars between 3300-3500lbs ...as for being worried about taking turns and the freeway just stiffen up your shocks/struts for street use

D&D powder coating and media blasting
In Gear Transmission and differentials
Manasquan, NJ 08736
732-722-7387
post #14 of 24 Old 01-03-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt99cobra View Post
ive used a few sets of team z springs and they lowered all my cars. the team z springs are rely on vehicle weight to work correctly. i believe the sn95 springs are for cars between 3300-3500lbs ...as for being worried about taking turns and the freeway just stiffen up your shocks/struts for street use
Read the description. Team Z states that these springs won't lower the car. Who knows....

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9404SLRS/Mu...-Springs-94-04

Buyer Beware.
post #15 of 24 Old 01-03-2019, 07:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (84)
Garage
Quote:
Read the description. Team Z states that these springs won't lower the car. Who knows....

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-9404SLRS/Mu...-Springs-94-04
yea thats weird lol ..i now with a 26in tire ground to quater was 27in and when i used a 28 the quater was right near the top of the tire. right now not at full weight with a 26 tire my car is sitting at just about 28in from ground to quater

D&D powder coating and media blasting
In Gear Transmission and differentials
Manasquan, NJ 08736
732-722-7387
post #16 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 04:33 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Quote:
I run Team Z drag springs. Great spring IMO. But I run MM LCA w/ adjustable spring perch.
how do you like this setup what shocks and uppers do you use
post #17 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 05:09 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey1 View Post
Quote:
UPR adjustable uppers and Strange 10-ways. I like how it rides on the street for sure. I can’t comment on track yet, still sorting things out with my car. But I definitely recommend this setup so far

post #18 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
UPR adjustable uppers and Strange 10-ways. I like how it rides on the street for sure. I can’t comment on track yet, still sorting things out with my car. But I definitely recommend this setup so far
Are you using the MM drag racing version lowers
post #19 of 24 Old 04-25-2019, 09:43 PM
Corral Elite Member

Yes I am. Impressive piece

post #20 of 24 Old 05-06-2019, 08:42 AM
Corral Elite Member

I am presently using stock length 4cyl springs with a 28" tire. They are linear rate and have been working great for me. I have accumulated 3x sets over the years as I have changed different tire sizes and lower control arm angles on the megabite jrs I am using. The different springs help me play with ride height which changes instant center. (1coil cut, 1/2 coil cut, stock length).

Stock Block 408", TFS 11R 205, TFS EFI Carb R Intake, XFI 236HR, Tweecer, Faceplated TKO 500
10.49 @ 130mph

post #21 of 24 Old 05-06-2019, 08:44 AM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Yes I am. Impressive piece
I had a set of these. They are one tough piece. Heavy as chit! Very well made. Would be perfect when paired with a relocated upper control arm setup like your Team Z. Help you tweak ride height without changing springs.

Stock Block 408", TFS 11R 205, TFS EFI Carb R Intake, XFI 236HR, Tweecer, Faceplated TKO 500
10.49 @ 130mph

post #22 of 24 Old 06-13-2019, 09:37 PM

When I called TeamZ they don’t me not to cut there spring. You will compromise them
post #23 of 24 Old 06-14-2019, 12:19 PM
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
When I called TeamZ they don’t me not to cut there spring. You will compromise them
I just emailed them the same question. I wonder why they say not to cut their springs, but always recommended cutting the factory spring. Why would cutting a coil compromise the spring? Anyone have any input? I’m in a position that I HAVE TO cut a coil off. Ride height is way too high and I can’t lower my spring perches any lower.

post #24 of 24 Old 06-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I just emailed them the same question. I wonder why they say not to cut their springs, but always recommended cutting the factory spring. Why would cutting a coil compromise the spring? Anyone have any input? I’m in a position that I HAVE TO cut a coil off. Ride height is way too high and I can’t lower my spring perches any lower.
I think there rear drag spring is designed to work with their relocated uppers arms. And puts the instant center where it needs to be. That’s what I got out of that I am no suspension expert. But sounds like they want you to run there whole kit not mix match parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement