Transbrake and building boost - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-08-2018, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Transbrake and building boost

First time user of a transbrake, trying to figure out some of the features...with a turbo car, can I start building boost as I footbrake the car into the pre-stage lights and bump into the staging lights using footbrake, then engage the transbrake? I don’t seem to have enough time once I’m in the stage beams to build boost off just the transbrake, and not really wanting to get a 2step. I just didn’t know if you can transition from a footbrake to transbrake while building boost around 3k, without tearing anything up. It’s a built 4r70 with circle d 3400 stall, mvb, and pa performance transbrake. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-09-2018, 12:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
U need a bump box.

The "Bump Box" has totally transformed the way many drag racers stage their cars. By controlling the trans brake with a high speed micro processor, the car can be bumped into the second bulb with extreme precision and control! Allowing the driver to focus on the tree, and not worry about rolling the beams.

Google bump box drag racing.

Also turbo car with trans brake gotta be careful of overheating the trans while staging. Try to stage late so the guy on the other lane does does not take to long and u burn out the trans.
Also cool the trans between rounds get a leaf blower or fan or something blow air on it. U can also build or get a cooler that u hook up lines to it and cool the trans fluid

post #3 of 9 Old 10-09-2018, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Ive seen the Davis Technology bump boxes before and know how they work. While I won’t disagree with the quote direct from proline racings website, I’m wondering if it can be done with any success without one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-09-2018, 07:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (15)
you dont need a bump box to boost. we footbraked it for years
start building boost on the footbrake on the prestage or even before the prestage if its that tight of a converter or the tune is that far off

let off the brake enough to roll into the stage beam and hit the transbrake and let off the footbrake

DT Racing and Fabrication

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew Chief
Roche Racing engines Billet headed windsor! BMF on 275s!
my car-88lx- 408" stock block gangster!!!
post #5 of 9 Old 10-09-2018, 09:14 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown and strocked View Post

Also turbo car with trans brake gotta be careful of overheating the trans while staging. Try to stage late so the guy on the other lane does does not take to long and u burn out the trans.
Also cool the trans between rounds get a leaf blower or fan or something blow air on it. U can also build or get a cooler that u hook up lines to it and cool the trans fluid
That does not work all the time. If I race a turbo car I wait for them to get done with all of the screwing around before I get into the beams. Besides, once both cars are pre-staged, once one car rolls into the second bulb, turbo guy has 7 seconds to get in or he is done.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #6 of 9 Old 10-09-2018, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasn’t going to tear anything up. I guess the biggest question is how much rpm I can hold with the footbrake!
post #7 of 9 Old 10-09-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure I wasnít going to tear anything up. I guess the biggest question is how much rpm I can hold with the footbrake!
look into if anyone makes an internal dump valve for your trans.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew Chief
post #8 of 9 Old 10-10-2018, 03:24 AM Thread Starter

Never heard of it, what does it do?
post #9 of 9 Old 10-10-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
Never heard of it, what does it do?
the easiest way to put it... it makes the converter stupidly loose while you are on the foot brake. allows you to just drop all the timing out of the tune on the foot brake limiter and make it spool.

we made 14lbs in 1.1 seconds with a 85mm promod gen2 with a stupidly tight converter and a 363" motor. was roughly 10 seconds before the dump valve. but it needs to be an internal. you cant dump enough charge pressure with an external. and they are used for something else anyway

Crew Chief
Sponsored Links
Advertisement