Coilover problems - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Coilover problems

I put a set of upr coilovers on the back of my 04 mustang a couple weeks back. Picked them up used on corral for a good price. The kit was basically an outer machined sleeve put over a shock with a spherical hat to hold the top of the spring.

The install was pretty straightforward and uneventful. Went ahead and adjusted the ride height in the rear to make my lower control arm the same height at the front and rear bolt, to make it parallel with the ground. It was all good up to this point, until I stepped back and checked my handiwork. The spring itself was compressed from a 10” spring down to around 5 3/4” length. Also, I had about 2” clearance from the bottom sleeve to the top spring hat. Basically I had 2” travel before it bottoms out.

After talking to the tech guys at upr, they keep insisting the spring rate I chose is too soft. If I put another spring rate on there, and lower it back down, essentially I’ll have the same 2” travel, just takes more weight to compress that distance.

Question is, what do I do? Trash these coilover sleeve deals and go with a “real” coilover?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-14-2018, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Some eye candy to explain the situation betterE42C02A8-37CC-4503-A172-743CA52F0D8D_1534303020209.jpg

post #3 of 8 Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
Some eye candy to explain the situation betterAttachment 959409
Can you cut off about 1" from the top aluminum piece to gain more bump travel? Or Maybe 1/2" on the top and bottom piece?

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-14-2018, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, I’ll have to pull the cone and see if I can cut off a section on top. 2” travel just won’t cut it. This time when I take the whole thing apart, I’m going to have to measure everything disassembled. Seems I have a fox body strange shock on it based on the part number.
post #5 of 8 Old 09-02-2018, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Another rained out weekend at the track, but I did get to see 2 other rear coilover setups on new edge mustangs. There doesn’t seem to be a much static distance between the top of the spring and bottom of the shock body. With all this rain, I’m just racking my brain to see what will happen!

I guess I’m worried about the squat, sure, if the car hits a pothole with a light spring, it will bottom out, but also with the valving of the shock dialed in, it may not. The launch, as I’ve done some research, is not about squatting to transfer the weight, but body/wheel separation, so the 2” shouldn’t be an issue as I’m pushing the weight of the vehicle down on the tires. Time will tell!
post #6 of 8 Old 09-22-2018, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Finally got around to looking at these coilovers again. Drop brackets and shortening the top hat are out unless I go to a 12” 110lb spring instead of 10” 110lb. Basically, by shortening the hat or dropping the bracket I’ll have to spin the collar upwards to accommodate the new found clearance, and I only have about 3/4” of thread left to raise the spring. By getting the longer spring, I should be able to drop the spring downwards with the drop bracket or shorter hat. Thoughts?
post #7 of 8 Old 09-23-2018, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Was able to drop the bracket and gained another 1/2” without changing springs. I now have 2 1/2” gap between the top hat and bottom sleeve. I also got to measure 2 other cars in my local area today with similar setups, they didn’t seem to have much travel either, but made comments on how stiff their coilover shocks are setup. I’m not looking for rock bouncer travel, just thought there would be more than what I have.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-24-2018, 03:52 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialProspect View Post
Was able to drop the bracket and gained another 1/2Ē without changing springs. I now have 2 1/2Ē gap between the top hat and bottom sleeve. I also got to measure 2 other cars in my local area today with similar setups, they didnít seem to have much travel either, but made comments on how stiff their coilover shocks are setup. Iím not looking for rock bouncer travel, just thought there would be more than what I have.
Check the recommended ride height for your shock with manufacturer. They should give you the preferred shock height measurement. Start there. For my Vikings it is 14.5" from eye to eye. We put my top mount high enough up to all the most range of adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dart 348ci, Ed Curtis cam/valvetrain, Precision 76mm, Holley Dominator EFI, CNP ignition, tons of Holler EFI small parts, 4"dp, 4R70W w/T-brake, new suspension coming soon.

Little 750rwhp at 6,000rpms and only 10lbs of boost before we just got tired of playing with clutches. New 4R70W and we are turning it up. Expecting 1,000rwhp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement