Will disconnecting battery between rounds hurt 1/4 mile performance (A9L) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By indy2000

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 12-25-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Garage
Will disconnecting battery between rounds hurt 1/4 mile performance (A9L)

What do you guys think, I keep kill switch routinely off between rounds and started to think if that does something for adaptive learning or EEC memory part. It's drag race use only so WOT most of the time, does the A9L even use any sensor input info at wot? My times were far from consistent so I wonder if the tune changes each round due to computer being on a learning mode every pass

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-25-2017, 03:28 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
No, adaptive is for driving and idling. Your inconsistence runs may be from heat soak. If your IAT is hot your eec will pull timing and add fuel. Same for your ECT. I suggest you move the IAT to the intake air duct and launch at the same engine temp. I have both of mine shut off.

post #3 of 17 Old 12-26-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks wywindsor, I agree on the temp issue. It was said here that A9L needs 170F for closed loop and I just found out that previous owner put restrictor plate in so no thermostat, and it took ages for the engine to even warm up. I put 180F thermo back to help keeping the temp steady and take one variable out of the picture. Maybe I need to start moving sensors around too but how do you shut them off?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-26-2017, 01:43 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
if you disconnect the battery, you will lose KAM memory

in that memory is LONG TERM fuel trims

long term fuel trims ARE used at WOT, or for any OL fueling for that matter

long term fuel trims are derived from short term fuel trims

it is very possible to change a/f ratio at WOT, this might affect your times

Yes coolant temp has an affect on trims/adaptive

But its a timer that counts down NOT an off switch at a certain temp

Do NOT move the ACT anywhere it was not designed to be

If you move it, you must change the transfer function to reflect that move, or the ADDER that is used at WOT

ideally the ACT should be measuring the air temp, as it enters the cylinder, therefore as close as possible

If you want to ignore the input of a sensor, you must disable it in the binary code.

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-26-2017, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmmm, two answers and we are back in the home base. Keep the opinions coming guys, should I ensure constant power into EEC for the whole racing season? This is interesting.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-26-2017, 11:56 PM

do what you like, its your car

I just gave you what happens

post #7 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
and I appreciate that you did. But I'm still wondering is it worthy to change the wiring. You see the other opinion is quite the opposite. Does someone here have some real life track experience to share on this matter? Please howl in if you do. I'm certain most racers use the main kill switch, do they have a bypass there for EEC power that's the question.
post #8 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 06:27 AM

Well, The two posts are opposite, but one is inaccurate and the other is fact.

The EEC uses LTFT for open loop. Disconnecting the battery will erase them.

The real question has not been answered. Does clearing KAMS effect a drag car? And I cant say for certain, but I think it would be more consistent with an AFR of around 12.5:1. I have heard that if you are running rich the baro and DA have a bigger effect on performance
post #9 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 AM

What is your reason for disconnecting the battery??
post #10 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnish Fireball View Post
and I appreciate that you did. But I'm still wondering is it worthy to change the wiring. You see the other opinion is quite the opposite. Does someone here have some real life track experience to share on this matter? Please howl in if you do. I'm certain most racers use the main kill switch, do they have a bypass there for EEC power that's the question.
you are the racer

why not datalog, and see for yourself?

i can tell you, when open tracking, our drivers said they could feel the difference

we then supplied fused power to the eec kam after that

90trunk likes this.

post #11 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 09:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Do you need to turn the battery off?
post #12 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 09:39 AM

How stock is your engine?? Best thing I ever did drag racing with an A9L was to realize I could not rely on closed loop or adaptive learning working correctly. I treated it like a carb. If I made an adjustment I wanted it to stick. If I commanded a 10.0 AFR that is what I wanted it to do and keep doing unless I changed it. I ran a locked distributor also to ensure my total timing was what I wanted.

The further you get away from a stock engine the more tuning required. The basic parameters are easy to tune. Its all the little things that require tuning to have closed loop and adaptive learning to work correctly. I'm sure all that tuning could be done and run super fine but I put more miles on my car at the drag strip than I did on the street.

A good wideband that can data log a few things. A chip and burner. A little tuning could make your car run the same every pass exactly how you want it to run.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender4601 View Post
How stock is your engine?? Best thing I ever did drag racing with an A9L was to realize I could not rely on closed loop or adaptive learning working correctly. I treated it like a carb. If I made an adjustment I wanted it to stick. If I commanded a 10.0 AFR that is what I wanted it to do and keep doing unless I changed it. I ran a locked distributor also to ensure my total timing was what I wanted.

The further you get away from a stock engine the more tuning required. The basic parameters are easy to tune. Its all the little things that require tuning to have closed loop and adaptive learning to work correctly. I'm sure all that tuning could be done and run super fine but I put more miles on my car at the drag strip than I did on the street.

A good wideband that can data log a few things. A chip and burner. A little tuning could make your car run the same every pass exactly how you want it to run.

THIS happens when the fueling is not dialled in

When properly done

Open loop lambse=w/b readings

post #14 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy2000 View Post
THIS happens when the fueling is not dialled in

When properly done

Open loop lambse=w/b readings
Dialed in to what? To me that is the problem. Unless your dialed in to what the computer wants to see things can get goofy. Not that they will get goofy but they can. My idle was 13.5 AFR. That is what I wanted. That produced the best idle and low rpm mannors for my engine. What is closed loop and adaptive learning going to do with that?

I don't mean to argue that is not my intent but some applications just are not worth the potential hassle and extra tuning. Especially when all I want is good manners in the pits and consistent predictable tuning down the track. Doesn't matter the method used to get what you want. But when you do get what you want the last thing you need is the computer changing things. OP wanted drag race A9L use opinions.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender4601 View Post
Dialed in to what? To me that is the problem. Unless your dialed in to what the computer wants to see things can get goofy. Not that they will get goofy but they can. My idle was 13.5 AFR. That is what I wanted. That produced the best idle and low rpm mannors for my engine. What is closed loop and adaptive learning going to do with that?

I don't mean to argue that is not my intent but some applications just are not worth the potential hassle and extra tuning. Especially when all I want is good manners in the pits and consistent predictable tuning down the track. Doesn't matter the method used to get what you want. But when you do get what you want the last thing you need is the computer changing things. OP wanted drag race A9L use opinions.

you quoted me, but did not read

SO LET ME SAY IT again

it is dialed in WHEN

LAMBSE=WB READINGS

is that clearer?

not worth it????

really, okay

why bother adjusting tire pressure

The computer doesn't just change things UNLESS you tell it to

If it changes things, its just a lack of understanding of the system

You need not worry, there is whole industry out there that understand it, and will fix it for $$$$

post #16 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 04:51 PM

Regarding the OP

Poster asked if erasing KAM will effect times

The answer

Maybe, maybe not

Only the poster will know

post #17 of 17 Old 12-27-2017, 06:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
To each his own. Buy a moates Quarter Horse. Go to efidynotuning and download a9l2. Yhe owner of the site has dummied down fords band aided a9l. Read on how to setup your car for tuning first. There are several reads that will help you out on the site. You will be able to make your own decision on what effects what and how to tune your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement