Help with 2.5" spring in rear stock location - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Saleen414
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member
 
Cantbuyitright's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (56)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 861
Garage
Help with 2.5" spring in rear stock location

Just talked to a tech about my needs but I just would like a Mustang opinion as he didn't sound confident in his suggestion. I have a Fox coupe 351W setup. I am running a coilovered 150# double adjustable front and have removed my coil-over rears, moved back to the stock location (spring on lower control arm). I want to run a 2.5" coil-over spring and he suggested I start with 150# in the rear. Does that seem correct with 150# front? Rear shocks are also double adjustable.

Looking for help to see if that sounds correct?

I have height adjusting rear lowers and was wonder if the 12" 150# 2.5" spring are what I need.

I have mocked up the ride height with team z stock location springs but have a clearance issue with my anti roll bar so I think to easiest solution is the smaller spring. That being said will the 12" be long enough to give me a similar stance or do I need to consider a longer/shorter spring? And does 150# spring sound like the best starting point?

Thanks
Scott

Cantbuyitright is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 02:36 PM
Corral Elite Member
 
Saleen414's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Levant, Maine
Posts: 2,260
I run a 175 lb/in rear spring in mine. Each vehicle is different and could want something else. My car is drag only on a small tire.

TomR likes this.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
Saleen414 is online now  
post #3 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member
 
Cantbuyitright's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (56)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 861
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
I run a 175 lb/in rear spring in mine. Each vehicle is different and could want something else. My car is drag only on a small tire.
I was hoping you might chime in, was reading some of your post. So maybe the advise was good for me. I am more street than drag but by street I mean less than 100 miles per year just out for ####s and then maybe a drag weekend or two with friends.

What length?

Last edited by Cantbuyitright; 12-05-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Cantbuyitright is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 05:22 PM
Corral Elite Member
 
Saleen414's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Levant, Maine
Posts: 2,260
I would have to go home and measure or find the receipt. If I remember by the time I get home tonight, I will look.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
Saleen414 is online now  
post #5 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member
 
Cantbuyitright's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (56)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 861
Garage
No worries. I would like to know to compare. I measured my ride height with weight and came up with a 12" should be what I need and still have use of the adjustable lower.

Thanks for the quick help.
Cantbuyitright is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Corral Elite Member
 
Saleen414's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Levant, Maine
Posts: 2,260
So it looks to be a 12" spring. Compressed length is 9" as installed on the car. Using an upper perch adjustable mount.


1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
Saleen414 is online now  
post #7 of 13 Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Corral Elite Member
 
Cantbuyitright's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (56)
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 861
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
So it looks to be a 12" spring. Compressed length is 9" as installed on the car. Using an upper perch adjustable mount.

Perfect. And thank you for taking the time to help. Many thanks.
Cantbuyitright is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 08:02 AM
Registered User
 
1995gtCPE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (34)
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
I run a 175 lb/in rear spring in mine. Each vehicle is different and could want something else. My car is drag only on a small tire.
Whats the weight on the rear tires? Ever try a stiffer spring?

80 coupe, N/A 347, tko500 1.34, 6.30 @ 109.01, 9.87 @ 137.06

16 GT, daily driver on pump 93, Procharger 1.42, 6.31 @ 109.59, 9.80 @ 141.57
1995gtCPE is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 10:12 AM
Corral Elite Member
 
Saleen414's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Levant, Maine
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995gtCPE View Post
Whats the weight on the rear tires? Ever try a stiffer spring?
Well at 3150 lbs, if 53% is on the front, that means 47% is on the rear. 47% of 3150 is 1480 lbs. Figure in transferring the other 53% to the rear on the launch and that is about as good as it gets.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
Saleen414 is online now  
post #10 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Registered User
 
1995gtCPE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (34)
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
Well at 3150 lbs, if 53% is on the front, that means 47% is on the rear. 47% of 3150 is 1480 lbs. Figure in transferring the other 53% to the rear on the launch and that is about as good as it gets.
Ever try a stiffer spring?


80 coupe, N/A 347, tko500 1.34, 6.30 @ 109.01, 9.87 @ 137.06

16 GT, daily driver on pump 93, Procharger 1.42, 6.31 @ 109.59, 9.80 @ 141.57
1995gtCPE is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Corral Elite Member
 
Saleen414's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Levant, Maine
Posts: 2,260
I have no reason to try a stiffer rear spring. What I have works.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
Saleen414 is online now  
post #12 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
1995gtCPE's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (34)
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,920
Sure thing.

80 coupe, N/A 347, tko500 1.34, 6.30 @ 109.01, 9.87 @ 137.06

16 GT, daily driver on pump 93, Procharger 1.42, 6.31 @ 109.59, 9.80 @ 141.57
1995gtCPE is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 12-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 892
If I remember right my setup uses a 10" 300lb spring. Recommended by wolferacecraft.
bender4601 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stock location rear coilover setup Yanking Gears Suspension 3 03-01-2016 06:25 PM
For Sale QA1 Double Adjustable Stock Location Rear Shocks & Team Z Rear Drag Springs SCHUCKZ Suspension 7 02-27-2016 08:03 PM
For Sale MMR rear coil over conversion stock location No Cents Racing Suspension 1 12-23-2014 10:03 AM
Double adjustable rear shocks in stock location TRmustangTR Drag Racing 7 03-27-2012 10:50 PM
Proposed Modular Shootout Renegade rules (very long!) Modular Performance GT & SOHC 30 12-19-2001 07:30 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome