Hurst ramrod on a toploader - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By boostup89

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (21)
Hurst ramrod on a toploader

Looking for some tips on setting up a Hurst ramrod on a toploader. I've made a bracket to keep the shifter closer to center of the tailhousing, and forward to make the handle come through the stock shifter hole on my 92lx. Just looking for some advice on making shift rods. I'm thinking about going with 3/8" heims ends and some chromoly tubing, then bend accordingly for the rods. 90% strip car.

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-13-2017, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
I ran T&C top loaders for years and just used Hurst rods, but that was 1990 and earlier. The rods were never under all that much stress if the shifter stops were set right, and the weight didn't really matter to me. Of course I used synchros and the clutch but I shifted hard and fast at full power and a short travel clutch.

I have no idea how chrome moly would work for bending or cracking. In 30 years I never bent or broke a Hurst rod and they looked like regular carbon steel. I broke lots of steel bushings but never a rod issue. The transmissions are damn good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #3 of 10 Old 11-13-2017, 06:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I think you might have a very fond dislike for 4130 after you try running a regular hand tap thru it. I would tig weld threaded 4130 bungs on the ends, I think. But I could be wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-13-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, I'm not dead set on using chromoly, it's just readily available, but so is regular steel. I am dead set on using the toploader, not %100 sure about this shifter. I love the idea, but getting it to fit and not be a hack job is looking to be tough.

post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

After some lengthy and humerous conversations with Dan Williams, I think I am going to ditch the inline shifter idea. It would require a lot of transmission tunnel modifications and or shifter mods to make it fit right. I think I'll just keep it simple, and use the competition plus.
TomR likes this.

post #6 of 10 Old 11-15-2017, 01:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I have considered top loader for my '93 GT. I would like a TKO600, but man it's like $1500 more for just the transmission.
post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

I hear you on that! All said and done I should have about $500 in my swap. Sold my T5 and bellhousing for $525. I think it was a good move.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-15-2017, 07:56 PM

Trader Feedback: (14)
Garage
Wow,that is cheap. You wanna buy a t-5 and a bellhousing

Tony
New project : Dads 91 LX 351W rebuild
post #9 of 10 Old 11-19-2017, 07:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
My go to transmission was always a T&C toploader and competition plus with steel bushings. I never had a problem and they were easy to rebuild. I would always freshen them with new brass and bearings. I never had an issue shifting at any RPM just using unmodified OEM rebuild parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #10 of 10 Old 11-20-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Well I made my own bracket, the Ramrod fits through the factory shifter hole without cutting! But 1quick95 hooked me up with a nice super shifter that would give it a much cleaner look, you know, one handle instead of three.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement