Anyone ever hit a deer at the track ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 10-05-2017, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (38)
Anyone ever hit a deer at the track ?

Hit one 2 weekends ago at the top of the track, car only traps 108 but still sounded like a gunshot went off and I was lucky it wasn't head on and I kept it straight not swerving into the guy next to me or the wall. It actually jumped the wall and ran into my drivers side, dented the fender, took out the mirror, big quarter dent and ripped the quarter extension off. Makes me sick-right when it started getting dark and I never drive at night because of that reason. Track obviously says they're not liable. Anyone have a similar experience ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 12:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Damn! If that deer had jumped less than half second earlier, that could have been really bad! Glad to know minor damage is all that occurred.

Never seen a deer accident at the track, but the pollen was really bad one weekend during the spring a few years ago. So bad in fact that it was like acting like a light covering of baby powder, and the top end of the tracks were getting slick where there was little to no VHT for the pollen to stick. Several tracks around the state reported excessive crashes that weekend.

post #3 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceallday2 View Post
Damn! If that deer had jumped less than half second earlier, that could have been really bad! Glad to know minor damage is all that occurred.

Never seen a deer accident at the track, but the pollen was really bad one weekend during the spring a few years ago. So bad in fact that it was like acting like a light covering of baby powder, and the top end of the tracks were getting slick where there was little to no VHT for the pollen to stick. Several tracks around the state reported excessive crashes that weekend.
I was thinking after it happened how much worse it could have been if i had plowed it head on-probably totaled and me possibly dead at that speed-Btw crazy about the pollen!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 09:11 PM
rob

Trader Feedback: (23)
Nuts. Glad you are ok.

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged [email protected]
post #5 of 17 Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Nuts. Glad you are ok.
Thanks

+
post #6 of 17 Old 10-08-2017, 08:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
One Of my buddies got thumped by a bird on a bike at Trails a few years ago. He kept it up, but he was sore for awhile. Trails has have critters get out there before, but they were caught in time by the tower, before cars went down. Edgewater? Came out of the woods? Glad you are OK. Sucks for the car.
post #7 of 17 Old 10-08-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 step View Post
One Of my buddies got thumped by a bird on a bike at Trails a few years ago. He kept it up, but he was sore for awhile. Trails has have critters get out there before, but they were caught in time by the tower, before cars went down. Edgewater? Came out of the woods? Glad you are OK. Sucks for the car.
Ouch! Yeah Edgewater- I was running the left lane about 8:30 right when it got dark out-came from the woods on the left, probably going to the river to get a drink ? Also glad it didn't happen to my other car though-this car has needed paint bad for years-the fender was already tweaked, body moldings are ragged, mirror easy fix, door is untouched-the quarter is what i'm worried about-healthy dent below the quarter window on and above the molding-it still sucks bigtime. Track felt really good-I think they've redone it, much better than years past
post #8 of 17 Old 10-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the scenario. I'll pay more attention from now on, if I find myself there at that time of the day. Never thought about that before at that track.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Hit a rabbit at a buck 25 but never a deer-at least not at the track. Have seen them run across, and have seen some of the racers get excited when a buck crossed (and didn't make it through the evening because gun deer season was in) but haven't seen anyone hit one-yet.

'92GT, 427" and '93 "LXVO" coupe
post #10 of 17 Old 10-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Damn. Glad to hear you're ok.

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #11 of 17 Old 10-13-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLTDLX View Post
Damn. Glad to hear you're ok.
Thanks me too
post #12 of 17 Old 10-21-2017, 11:23 AM

Trader Feedback: (26)
glad your ok, quite a few years ago at byron a guy hit one with a rail. killed him.
post #13 of 17 Old 10-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Has happened several times at Edgewater. Happened to Kennybellcobra a few years ago in his coupe. Took out a headlight, fender, and corner of a hood. Had a few deer cross right after I went threw the shut down, told the ticket booth guy about them. They did nothing...sent Gary Rohe down the track making a 170ish mph pass anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Xtreme 8.5" -Heads up 1/8th mile limited 8.5 class at Kilkare Dragway
Dedpedal Racing;Sponsered by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;Tuned by

Boss block Big bore 347/225 TFS HP's/SR/BW S476R/A2W/PG/FAST xfi on E85
5.33 at 134.9 on 26x8.5 in 1/8th @3380#
post #14 of 17 Old 10-22-2017, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff88coupe View Post
Has happened several times at Edgewater. Happened to Kennybellcobra a few years ago in his coupe. Took out a headlight, fender, and corner of a hood. Had a few deer cross right after I went threw the shut down, told the ticket booth guy about them. They did nothing...sent Gary Rohe down the track making a 170ish mph pass anyway.
Really how ironic-same thing happened, ticket booth guy said- ''Oh really'' in a normal tone like it was no big deal, they kept running like nothing had happened
post #15 of 17 Old 11-06-2017, 12:59 PM

Is the deer OK?

Seriously, glad you were a little late on your reaction time because it could have been a lot worst. I was coming home late at night from racing my í94 T/A. Got off the freeway in to our community. Jumped on it and from behind a Safeway grocery store sign a mule deer jumped out (this is Phoenix, Arizona. Donít see deer here in the desert!) and I hit it at the knees. I was about 95 MPH when I saw it leap, and I did hit the brakes. It bounced off the hood and over the roof. It was about the size of a large Great Dane.
A month later I was on freeway stopped in traffic due to an RV on fire up ahead. Kid in his mini-truck was going through his glove box looking for a CD. He hit the brakes at last second and his left ftront tire drove over my right rear tire. I look to my right and I see the entire underside of that Toyota. Had the car to my right been next to me instead of a car length ahead, I bet he would have been decapitated. Toyota landed upright in the retention basin with no injuries at all.
I finally collected on both accidents and the car was totaled. Thatís the only way I financially got out of that POS T/A and I faired pretty good as it was a 25th Anniversary Edition. Worst car Iíve ever owned for warranty issues.
post #16 of 17 Old 11-06-2017, 03:17 PM
JPX

Trader Feedback: (2)
Hit one on the way back from the track in my mustang a couple weeks ago. That sucked bad enough, and I was going slow! Good luck, hope you get back on the track soon.

408w, tko600, NX and a little bit of everything else.
post #17 of 17 Old 11-11-2017, 08:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
This morning there are about 400,000 deer hunters in "the woods" in this state...so after this weekend, there'll be about 150,000 less deer to worry about.

'92GT, 427" and '93 "LXVO" coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement