Welding rear of foxbody to stiffen unibody. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Just wondering. Im going to be installing a stifflers fit system in my foxbody. Along with tq box reinforcents. Also installing a tq arm pan hard bar and ajustable lcas with a drag spring. Is there any guides to what i should be welding together in the rear of the foxbody to stiffen the unibody, basically box it in and set the rear up for maxium tq. Im new to drag racing so if anybody could point me to a guide or build thread. I dont even know what im talking about. Since ill have the interior of the car out and the underside stripped i fiqued its a good time to weld all the seams and box everything in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 06:13 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
If you are going drag racing I would not do a torque arm/panhard bar set up. You would be better off with using the stock type suspension. If you must change it, go full 4 link coil over. Leave the torque arm/panhard bar set up for road racing.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #3 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 06:20 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
There's a guy on here who really helped me when I did my battle box installation. He knows what to weld, and what to plate up and stiffen. It's a TON of work to do but its an absolute must for a fox that will see strip action. Wild rides battle boxes for upper and lowers is a good place to start, don't get the cheap ebay crap.

For everything that is worthwhile, there is a counterfeit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
If you are going drag racing I would not do a torque arm/panhard bar set up. You would be better off with using the stock type suspension. If you must change it, go full 4 link coil over. Leave the torque arm/panhard bar set up for road racing.
Really? I thought the tq arm panhard bar combo was the best setup for great 60 foots. I guess my research was wrong. Where can i learn more about drag racing suspension? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostup89 View Post
There's a guy on here who really helped me when I did my battle box installation. He knows what to weld, and what to plate up and stiffen. It's a TON of work to do but its an absolute must for a fox that will see strip action. Wild rides battle boxes for upper and lowers is a good place to start, don't get the cheap ebay crap.
Awesome ill look into battle boxes. and when i start the install ill post up my progress. Everybody seems friendly and willing to help. Thank you.
post #5 of 6 Old 09-22-2017, 05:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Saleen414 is right. Look at team z or baseline suspensions for help. Personally, Kevin from baseline helped me tremendously.

Stiffening the chassis and reinforcing the torque boxes is a great start. You need some adjustable shocks and struts, springs up front, stock v8 springs will work in the rear, upper and lower control arms with adjustability in the rear, and some way to adjust ride height. An anti roll bar is a good addition as well.

Joe

93 GT w/ 331
Bottom of the Barrel Budget
Working on the 60ft, thanks Kevin Slaby!
1.57 60ft and 7.45 @ 92.19, Previous best 60ft was 1.83.
post #6 of 6 Old 09-22-2017, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. Such great info from you guys. While I have a thread active and open currently. Im wondering if the stifflers fit system is better than a normal subframe connector setup. It seems like the debate is hot when the question is asked. Is the fot system worth 500$? Is it more efficient than a normal set of subframe connectors? Are the team z through the floor subframe connectors the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement