New best in the GTBIRD! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 07-10-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Formerly known as 89 steeda

Trader Feedback: (1)
New best in the GTBIRD!

Spent the weekend down at Norwalk and ran the Bird in True Street class on sat and did brackets on Sunday. Had a great weekend and the car was awesome! I had to rebuild the posi,put in a Stifflers safety loop,3" studs in rotors and fixed a leaky drain line off the blower the days leading up to the race.

My previous best on slicks was a 12.40 @ 110 so I had to switch to a MT ET Street R tire to keep legal for True Street class and boy do I like these tires. I launched the car at only 3500 and she ate it up even with a hint of clutch slip. I had my new Snow meth kit on but something still isnt right with it cuz it went pig rich and only ran a 12.75 @ 105 in the morning time trials.

I turned the Snow kit off and let it rip anyway. Car responded by dipping right into the 12.teens at 114mph on mid 1.60 60ft times. I added a touch more fuel and 1* of timing up top and was rewarded with my best pass so far.

Next pass the clutch slipped bad on the 3-4 shift and it slowed to a 12.15 @ 113 and I got beat so my race was done. Left with a huge smile anyway!

I cant believe how this car is coming around. Never would have thought a 98% stock Explorer motor with only 3.55 gears and a single exhaust would be trapping 115mph at 3600lbs!

If I can get this meth kit to work right I see no problem running in the 11s solid with a car I can jump in and drive over 400 miles a week to work in. My goal is so close I can smell it!

Waiting to get vids off my GF phone to post up too.

83 TBird 5.0
88 Ranger 2.3t
Brian in MI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Formerly known as 89 steeda

83 TBird 5.0
88 Ranger 2.3t
Brian in MI.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-12-2017, 07:53 PM
Corral Elite Member

Be careful if you upgrade the clutch. My guess is a combination of wear and engine/tuneup upgrades slowly brought the clutch point of slightly slipping. Just before it started slipping excessively in higher gears, it was a near perfectly matched to the engine's power. Rpm didn't get pulled down as far as it would with a grabby clutch so you made more power.
Upgrading to a clutch with a lot more capacity can really upset that delicate balance of power/clutch capacity.

Grant

Grant

ClutchTamer.com
We make your non-adjustable clutch...ADJUSTABLE!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement