Disappointed in Track Times - Should I be? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-13-2017, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Disappointed in Track Times - Should I be?

Finally got to take our car to the track for the 1st time Saturday night. I'm a little disappointed in the times and was wondering if my expectations were too high or if something is off?

The car: 95 GT coupe, Champion cowl hood, all a/c equipment gone but nothing else done to lighten it up.

The engine: Std bore 302 ci Explorer engine,gt40p heads with exhaust side port work by me,shaved .030,1.6 stud mount roller rockers,gear timing set,gt40p intake - no port work, Comp XE270HR-14 cam,75mm throttle body,75mm C&L MAF housing,30lb injectors,EGR delete/Smog delete.

The trans: AODE,performance clutches,kevlar bands,hardened shafts,Fairbanks shift kit,3k converter, TCI street/strip fluid.

Rear gear: stock 3.27

My best run was a 14.29 @ 96.5mph with a 2.13 60ft.

My son is 150lb lighter than me and managed a best of 14.08 @ 98.97mph still with a 2.13 60ft.

BTW,traction was not a problem,barely got a chirp off the line. We were not trying to stall it up on the foot brake but was at 1100-1200 rpm due to an idling issue.

So what do you experts think? Really interested in some thoughts form those with experience.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-14-2017, 06:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Rear gear isn't helping you. If it were my car 4:10s would be in. Mph seems a little low,but how much does car weight? Where's timing at on engine? How was the air when you raced? Tons of variables effects the performance of car.. I don't see a reason why your combo couldn't be in the 104-109 mph range. I'm basing that off similar car with similar mods I've seen.

post #3 of 11 Old 06-14-2017, 08:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (38)
I don't own a sn95 but had a friend back a few years drive the balls off his 95 to a [email protected] with pulleys, short throw shifter, exhaust and 3.73's. From that and the fact that factory stock these cars ran in the 14/8-15.1 range I would say your on par except for your launch. Not sure about what tires your using but I would work on launching with some rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue93hatch View Post
I spec'd my whole build to fit a cold air intake I had
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Hey
The gears have to go! Being an auto go 4.10s get that 60' around 1.90 and enjoy the car.

Thanks
post #5 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
That's about what I would expect. As mentioned, the gears have to go. Who's converter is it? A decent converter alone will make a night and day difference - it'll turn the car into a hard-launching animal. With a converter, gears and some tuning, you should be able to get that setup into the low/mid 13's without too much drama.

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-16-2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Shift View Post
Rear gear isn't helping you. If it were my car 4:10s would be in. Mph seems a little low,but how much does car weight? Where's timing at on engine? How was the air when you raced? Tons of variables effects the performance of car.. I don't see a reason why your combo couldn't be in the 104-109 mph range. I'm basing that off similar car with similar mods I've seen.
I have the gears but have been hesitant to install them due to my son(16) daily driving the car.
Not sure on the weight but a lot more with me vs my son driving.
The timing is at 10* which is what the tuner said to set it at with his chip.
Air quality,well I'm not much of a weather person. Temp in the upper 80's but low humidity. The best run was after dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Not sure about what tires your using but I would work on launching with some rpm.
The tires are Sumitomo 275/40/17 worn almost to the wear bars. I wish I would have tried some rpm since traction was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLTDLX View Post
That's about what I would expect. As mentioned, the gears have to go. Who's converter is it? A decent converter alone will make a night and day difference - it'll turn the car into a hard-launching animal. With a converter, gears and some tuning, you should be able to get that setup into the low/mid 13's without too much drama.
The converter is from Roadrunner Converters on eBay,10" stated to stall 2800-3200rpm. I guess I need to just do the gears if I want to be faster. I am going to see what the dyno says July 8th, a shop near me is having a dyno day so I am definitely going to be there.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 04:17 AM

A decent converter will make a bigger difference than gears. Numerically higher gears will just make a crappy converter worse. From your description of your track experience, your current converter doesn't flash high enough and lacks torque multiplication; putting in numerically higher gears will make the converter act tighter because it will have less load on it - which is the last thing you want.

Converters are more than just fluid couplings - they really do multiply torque below stall speed. If you harness that trick, you can get a great hit out of the hole. A 1.80 60' should be easy to get (with traction) - that right there would drop you over half a second with no other changes.

Though there are several key differences, this is a good example of how much more effective a decent converter is over gearing on the launch - my car has a glide with a 1.80 first gear and a 3.08 rear gear, giving a starting line ratio of 5.544 (1.80 x 3.08). It 60's a full tenth better than it did with the AOD and 3.73 gears did (and that setup also had an excellent converter); the AOD/3.73 setup had an SLR of 8.952.

Here's how the 1.8 glide/3.08 gears leaves (26 seconds in):

A decent converter and some sticky tires will put you in the low to mid 13's right away, and make the car a helluva a lot more fun to drive.

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Formerly known as 89 steeda

Trader Feedback: (1)
My 83 tbird last year had a stock GT40P motor with only mods being tfs #1 cam, valve springs and long tube BBK headers. It is 3600lbs with me in it and has 3.55 gears and a stock t5. I ran it on 17" Sumitomo tires and got a 1.99 60ft and best pass on those tires was a [email protected] 102, with slicks I got a [email protected] 102 with a better 1.77 60ft. This motor has stock throttlebody,intakes and nothing ported. I do run Microsquirt though.

I hope you changed the stock springs on those heads cuz those are not up to handling that cam. I agree your MPH seems low for what your working with. Id throw a timing light on it and see what the all in timing advance is and not worry about the base timing at idle.

83 TBird 5.0
88 Ranger 2.3t
Brian in MI.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Remember, an auto won't MPH like a stick. Especially with a less than great converter.

AlexLTDLX

post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2017, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I can't afford to do a top level converter at this time. I can't see the 4.10s causing issues except maybe traction in my mind,but I'm not the expert which is why I'm asking questions here. Anyhow,it's on hold for while now as we met up with the perils of street driving. A stupid witch on her phone failed to stop while my son was stopped waiting to make a left turn. Plowed into the car behind my son,which had also stopped, and pushed it into him.

post #11 of 11 Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 AM

get all you can out of the faulted driver who was illegally using the phone while driving. Then you can work on your car. Seriously, I hate lawyers and I hate the fact that people are so lawsuit happy, but this whole texting and driving thing is going to have to come to a head sooner or later. Nail them for what you can get out of them, because the law isn't doing enough, IMO. Same for DWI and DUI.

'92GT, 427" and '93 "LXVO" coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement