T5 5th gear delete - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 2 step

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2017, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
T5 5th gear delete

Looking to prep a t5 with a Astro a5 kit for a NA 4.6 4v foxbody build. Car will be strictly a drag car may drive around town from time to time, anyone have any info on removing 5th gear? Looking to delete 5th for less rotational weight, also will be R.E.M. Polishing the internals and sending 2nd, 3rd, and 4th out to be faceplated. Car will weigh around 2400-2500 lbs when all said and done so a trans like this should handle it fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 12:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Garage
I was just about to start a new post on a very similar topic, so your timing is perfect. Details of my drag only car are in my sig. Everyone keeps telling me (and I don't doubt that it's good advise) that I could pick up a couple tenths if I got rid of my T56 and replaced it with a Gforce or Astro T5. As it so happens, I still have the T5 that was in the V6 99 coupe that I used for the basis of my car, which also has a 03 4V Mach 1 crate motor, essentially stock except for some intake work and Kooks long tubes. So I have toyed with the idea of doing exactly what you have in mind, but never did any legitimate research, as it appears maybe you have. So a couple questions from someone who knows little about transmissions. Never had one apart.

1. What will you be using for a bellhousing to mate up the T5 to the 4V ? And will it be SFI?

2. What year and model T5 are you using for the build. I know that there are different length tail shafts etc.

3. How many spline is the input shaft on the kit?

4. How does the price the kit, sending gears out to be faceplates etc compare to just buying an A5 or GForce T5 ?

I guess all of these issues have been what have prevented me from giving this the research time it deserves, along with the very important issue of $$$ per ET. So when I start thinking about putting 2500-3500 into a new tranny for a couple tenths, then the little accountant on my shoulder says for double that, say 6000 or so, I go Procharger to pick up a full second, minimum, and the T56 might be a better choice for that kind of power. Can kinda drive you crazy after a while.

99 coupe. C4/8Ē 5000 stall w/2003 Mach crate motor FRPP stock N/A, Kooks LT's and X,dumps no muffs. 4.56's
Best ET 11.42 Best MPH 116.33Best 60" 1.49
Coincidence. A convenient and overused word for the mentally lazy.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
You leave off the small OD gear and square snap ring off of the mainshaft, and you leave off the big OD gear and slider with snap ring off the countershaft gear. You leave off the 5th gear slider fork with roll pin off of the 5th/ reverse shift rail. And you remove one of the rollers off of the 5th/ Reverse shift rail. And I can provide a pic of that modification via text. You might also want to mechanically block your shifter in the 5th gear spot so you don't accidently hit it going down the track since its now an empty hole on the tranny and could result in an overspeed if the rev limiter don't do its job. BTW I have 3 off those tranny sitting in the garage and every one of them has paid for itself in round money and wins over the years if you want to look at the economic side. Syncro and Pro Shifted. Along with a few very special NHRA trophy's. Plus it helps with the tax man at the end of the year. But I would like to point it out that it is more due to the car than it is the driver. The Liberty treatment will come to about 450 plus or minus with what you do to the gears.
L86X likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2017, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabox View Post
I was just about to start a new post on a very similar topic, so your timing is perfect. Details of my drag only car are in my sig. Everyone keeps telling me (and I don't doubt that it's good advise) that I could pick up a couple tenths if I got rid of my T56 and replaced it with a Gforce or Astro T5. As it so happens, I still have the T5 that was in the V6 99 coupe that I used for the basis of my car, which also has a 03 4V Mach 1 crate motor, essentially stock except for some intake work and Kooks long tubes. So I have toyed with the idea of doing exactly what you have in mind, but never did any legitimate research, as it appears maybe you have. So a couple questions from someone who knows little about transmissions. Never had one apart.

1. What will you be using for a bellhousing to mate up the T5 to the 4V ? And will it be SFI?
-Going to use a QuickTime bellhousing, yes its sfi rated

2. What year and model T5 are you using for the build. I know that there are different length tail shafts etc.
-I have a world class t5 out of a 92 mustang if I remember right

3. How many spline is the input shaft on the kit?
-26 spline

4. How does the price the kit, sending gears out to be faceplates etc compare to just buying an A5 or GForce T5 ?
-I haven't priced out sending the gears to be faceplated

I guess all of these issues have been what have prevented me from giving this the research time it deserves, along with the very important issue of $$$ per ET. So when I start thinking about putting 2500-3500 into a new tranny for a couple tenths, then the little accountant on my shoulder says for double that, say 6000 or so, I go Procharger to pick up a full second, minimum, and the T56 might be a better choice for that kind of power. Can kinda drive you crazy after a while.
I answered your questions under them

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 step View Post
You leave off the small OD gear and square snap ring off of the mainshaft, and you leave off the big OD gear and slider with snap ring off the countershaft gear. You leave off the 5th gear slider fork with roll pin off of the 5th/ reverse shift rail. And you remove one of the rollers off of the 5th/ Reverse shift rail. And I can provide a pic of that modification via text. You might also want to mechanically block your shifter in the 5th gear spot so you don't accidently hit it going down the track since its now an empty hole on the tranny and could result in an overspeed if the rev limiter don't do its job. BTW I have 3 off those tranny sitting in the garage and every one of them has paid for itself in round money and wins over the years if you want to look at the economic side. Syncro and Pro Shifted. Along with a few very special NHRA trophy's. Plus it helps with the tax man at the end of the year. But I would like to point it out that it is more due to the car than it is the driver. The Liberty treatment will come to about 450 plus or minus with what you do to the gears.
I'll shoot you a text this week, thanks for the info!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:06 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
What is the average ET reduction from removing 5th gear?

1987 Coupe: Stock 5.0, T5, 4.10s and a spool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement