Lets talk late model mustang values. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bolt-on-bandito

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-05-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (11)
Lets talk late model mustang values.

whats up guys? I am writing this because i am considering selling my car. It's listed in the classifieds already, and a few other sources, but i have been thinking a lot about this, and wanted to see what other "experts" think

i have a pretty clean 1994 GT, newly built N/A 408 with an A5 behind it. 0 drag passes on motor/trans. I have upgraded the suspension, cooling, ignition, etc...

the engine is a roller cam/linked lifter,iron headed 10.5:1, pulls great, gets pretty good mpg if you just cruise it. the biggest downside is that it is carb'ed. this car is a great example of lots of power, good street manners, turn key, needs nothing, but as i try to estimate a price to sell it for i realize:

1) SN's are not as desirable as other models.
2) this car is nearly 23 years old!
3) Carbs scare lots of people off.

I would love to get $10K out of my car, but I am not sure if thats possible considering the price on older mustangs. i have it listed intentionally high because of shows like "fast and loud" and all the others it seems like everyone wants to low ball people like crazy. seems like prices for used mustangs go like this (high to low).

1) used coyote 5.0's
2) Terminator new edges (good luck finding a non-ragged out one)
3) bullets/machs/any 3 valve cars (including the S197's)
4) old 5.0's
5) 2 valve cars (96-04)

i built my car for the track, and now after moving way too much, i do not have a track anywhere near by. i figure marketing it to drag racers, it might get the most appreciation and less concern for the carb.

Here is a link for my car
https://forums.corral.net/forums/must...rip-beast.html

i would appreciate your guys opinion on what you think a fair asking price is. it has been paid off for over 10 years, and i do not need to sell it, but my family and i could use the funds in a few different ways. i do not expect this to move until spring....lmk

1994 GT. 408 Windsor, A5 transmission, 3:73's, Quick Fuel 750, Aspiring drag strip newb, "Built not bought"!

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-06-2016, 02:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (39)
$10,000.

89 LX: 308, AFR 165 Ren., FTI cam W/LSX style springs, TFS Box-R w/Accufab 75mm, TKO 600/Spec Stge 3, Quicktime bell, 31 spl. Moser 5 lug 8.8 w/9" ends, AFM PP, Team Z Sus., Fluidyne rad, 2.5" Harwood , etc..
86 GT Hatch: CHP- 408w, AFR 205's, TKO 600, FAST XFI, sold 8/2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 CBR 1000RR
post #3 of 14 Old 12-06-2016, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. i think we are all in the same boat here, we have cars that we poured a lot of time/$ into, and it's hard to put a price on them when we let them go.

Anyone care to share how much they made selling their stroker cars?
JAS95KFGT likes this.

1994 GT. 408 Windsor, A5 transmission, 3:73's, Quick Fuel 750, Aspiring drag strip newb, "Built not bought"!

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 12-08-2016, 11:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
For me with your car being a "street car" there are two things that jump out at me that I would consider detractors. First being the fact that it's carb'd. Carbs are an immediate turn off for me. The second is the fact that the A/C has been removed. I really don't understand why so many people delete it on their street cars, but to each their own.

The problem with you marketing the car towards the drag racer crowd is the car is lacking a cage. In my opinion I would value the car at about $8500 cash price. The A5 transmission and big inch Windsor are pluses.
post #5 of 14 Old 12-08-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the feedback. i removed the a/c when i was young and dumb. i have lived in both FL and TX without A/C and it's manageable, but not ideal. i was always on the fence about a cage, i figured subframe connectors would be fine for my use.

post #6 of 14 Old 12-13-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

anyone else? are carbs a total buzzkill for everyone? are they only cool to drag racers? lmk

post #7 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 08:35 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
A lot of it depends on the detailed quality of work and car condition. Without seeing the car in person it is impossible to set a value. The low end might be $7K and the high end might be something around $10K. I doubt you will get over $10K outside of a staged TV reality show.

I'm always leery of northern cars. They rust. The body, bolts, and undercarriage of a 20K mile car from up north often looks worse than a 200K mile car down here. That and the small details not visible in pictures can really affect the value.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #8 of 14 Old 12-14-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

i hear you. the rust belt is awful on cars, but the trick is to 1) not drive in the winter. 2) if you must you gotta spray the undercarriage out ASAP to get all the de-icer out from the wheel wells and such.

thanks for the feedback guys. I am in a position to either sell it or hold onto it. I am not sure if the 90's will ever be highly sought after/valuable, i kinda doubt it. fact is i have a really fast, fun car that is costing me nothing to keep, yet i simply don't take it out much, and if i have a nice day, i'd rather take the bike out.

post #9 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 06:07 AM

Trader Feedback: (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt-on-bandito View Post
anyone else? are carbs a total buzzkill for everyone? are they only cool to drag racers? lmk
Carbs are a buzzkill for me..Since you say the car was built with drag racing in mind, why not have 28's in the rear with some matching lightweight front wheels? It will fill up the gap and make the car look more aggressive imho.This was a friend of mine before he sold it:

3 Things that will chap your a$$
1. Woman
2. Dyno
3. Dragstrip
post #10 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Since you are asking for opinions,

If I was in the market for an Sn95, id would need to be fuel injected. The carb would turn me away.

I'd also need to second that the removed A/C would also turn me away. I can deal with a non-functioning A/C, as I'd fix it myself, but completely removed would be a negative.

Mike
--1988 Mustang LX 5.0--
post #11 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

i literally grew up right next to National Trails outside of Columbus Ohio. i started building my car with the plan to run there. then life happened and i found myself moving around from florida, to texas now to Indiana. In Texas i made great money, and had a great track near by. that is when i started going to the strip, knowing i would smoke my OEM transmission. i started doing suspension mods because the power of the 408 was fun, but most of the HP was going up in tire smoke. i then blew my WCT5, dropped in the A5, and then moved to a place with no drag strips anywhere near.

basically i say all of that to say that i just started making the tranistion to a drag car. i never wanted to go nuts with track mods (like a full cage) but i never got around to doing big and little's. That was next on my list, but now i am considering selling it.

I appreciate the sounding board you guys, i know this thing will not get any attention until spring, and i am okay with that.

post #12 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 12:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
I would never buy a car with a carb. I would never buy a street car with no AC. I would also never pay for anything I cannot visually verify. Several of my friends have been burnt buying cars with stroker kits, forged internals, cams, etc. only to find out later it is a stock cubic inch motor with factory parts. You say you have a 408...no offense, but if I was buying it we would be negotiating based on a stock rotating assembly 351W. Receipts don't even prove anything to me.
post #13 of 14 Old 12-15-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

i understand where you are coming from. no doubt a lot of shady dealings have been pulled off regarding hi-po set ups.

post #14 of 14 Old 12-19-2016, 11:21 PM

Location, location, location. Here, you'd be hard pressed to get $3000 out of it. Elsewhere in the US, might fetch $12k to the right buyer. You have to find the "right buyer".

'92GT, 427" and '93 "LXVO" coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement