Can you shift fast with a twin disc clutch? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 07-22-2016, 08:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (43)
Can you shift fast with a twin disc clutch?

I have heard that the twin disc clutch are awesome with a very soft pedal, engage very smooth and they hold great, but I was wondering in a drag racing application, does it allow you to shift just as fast as with a single disc clutch? I don't understand exactly how a twin disc releases etc. so I thought I'd ask you guys who might have used a twin disc. Give me any pros or cons about them. Thanks!

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-22-2016, 11:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I've power shifted mine a handful of times successfully, but, not at the track on stickies after a burnout.
At the track I've lift shifted as fast as "I" can without issue... fast enough that you hear the crunch and the slicks scratch.
I'm running the McLeod RST, with McLeod steel flywheel... aluminum quadrant, firewall adjuster, firewall reinforcing, Ford cable.

Mike H.
Duffee 306 and E7te's, Buddy Rawls cam. 368rwhp/363rwtq.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-22-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanLX View Post
I've power shifted mine a handful of times successfully, but, not at the track on stickies after a burnout.
At the track I've lift shifted as fast as "I" can without issue... fast enough that you hear the crunch and the slicks scratch.
I'm running the McLeod RST, with McLeod steel flywheel... aluminum quadrant, firewall adjuster, firewall reinforcing, Ford cable.
That is the same clutch I was looking at for a 550 @the flywheel 363. How soft is the pedal compared to stock?

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-22-2016, 11:27 AM

cannot say, had a Hayes ceramic puck style in it before, it is certainly lighter than that... Dad's 5.0 has a CF dual friction, it is noticeably lighter than that... my 2013 Jeep wrangler is stock in regards to engine/trans/clutch and it's comparable, McLeod a little heavier, but in no way heavy if that makes sense. ... so, pretty light... but the Jeep is Hydro, so the McLeod with cable and whatnot has wayyyy more feel.
My wife drives the Jeep often, the Mustang rarely... never mentions the clutch being "hard" like she did when the Hayes was in it.

Mike H.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-22-2016, 11:32 AM

oh, the McLeod is much easier to modulate than the stock Jeep setup too... lots of feel, decent travel in the slip/bite zone... you will like it.

Mike H.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-22-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

With the twin disc, I assume you have to have a adjustable pivot ball? Is it hard to know how to set the pivot ball depth to get the correct release etc. and not compress the diaphram too far?

post #7 of 7 Old 07-22-2016, 04:26 PM

I did not install it myself... had a shop experienced in such things install/setup.

Mike H.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement