Is Cryo treatment good for a TKO600? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 07-19-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (43)
Is Cryo treatment good for a TKO600?

I talked to Paul @ Liberty about a faceplated TKO600 and he mentioned we should do Thermal Stabilization,Shotpeening and then consider Cryo treating the gears and Surface enhancement (which I think is like polishing the gears) I've done searchs without a clearcut answer or at what power level it is beneficial. I have a friend that runs Astro A5's and he said they use a 9310 gearset and they experimented with Cryo, but it made the teeth brittle and they found that the Cryo'd gears broke before the untreated ones. I don't know what material the TKO gears are, but with a 550 HP 363-hopefully mid 10's, is Cryo treatment something we should consider or are the TKO gears plenty strong without it? I think Paul brought it up due to the faceplating putting more shock to the gears during shifts. Are you guys running stock TKO gears with good results or did you go with the Cryo stuff? Let me know what you think of it, good or bad! Any thought on the Thermal Stabilazation, shotpeenig and surface enhancement is appreciated as well. Which ones should we do? Thanks

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-19-2016, 06:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Cryno'd proshifted T-5 slider. 5 runs. Different animal from a faceplate. That's why I run softer clutches now. Same part I have had thermal treated and peened has roughly 200 runs now. With the soft clutch. And still in use. And of course the 9310 A-5 alloy is different than a Tremec gear alloy so it might behave different. But the above slider is just a regular old T-5 slider that has been modified.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0417.jpg (89.7 KB, 27 views)
post #3 of 17 Old 07-20-2016, 06:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I ran a Pro Motion TKO 600 that was not cryoed for years behind a 360 making that kind of power. The car weighed over 3300 lbs as well. A TKO 600 will hold up to that power. No cryo needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 07-20-2016, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-28-2016, 09:42 AM

Trader Feedback: (19)
I did the surface enhancement on mine, no cryo treatment. Survived a bunch of mid 10 second passes and about 10 nine second passes before i made a mistake with the clutch setup. 3300lb race weight

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF -- 9.86 at 136mph
http://youtu.be/2GKQ2xpZraU

Drag Week 2013 SR/SB/NA Winner
post #6 of 17 Old 07-28-2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter

I talked to Brad at Liberty and you could tell he was a big fan of the Cryo treatment. He said there was no question that the cryo will make the gears less prone to breaking and the surface enhancement while not necessary cuts down on the friction and heat. I noticed that all of the big Tremec builders list the Cryo as one of their top options. If it was gimmicky or there were problems with it, you would think they would shy away from promoting it as a good option.

post #7 of 17 Old 09-01-2016, 01:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (57)
I broke my cryo treated faceplated tko..800ft lbs and a spec stg 3 plus clutch caused its demise..

3 Things that will chap your a$$
1. Woman
2. Dyno
3. Dragstrip
post #8 of 17 Old 09-01-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sradtodrag View Post
I broke my cryo treated faceplated tko..800ft lbs and a spec stg 3 plus clutch caused its demise..
Do you think it would have lasted just as long without the Cryo treatment?

post #9 of 17 Old 09-01-2016, 11:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSPOWER View Post
Do you think it would have lasted just as long without the Cryo treatment?
I dont think it would have made a difference with that kinda of tq..

3 Things that will chap your a$$
1. Woman
2. Dyno
3. Dragstrip
post #10 of 17 Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sradtodrag View Post
I dont think it would have made a difference with that kinda of tq..
Yeh, you are making some crazy torq! I ordered a faceplated TKO600 from Brad @ Liberty and when I told him it was going behind a narly 363, he highly recommended the Cryo treatment, Thermal stabilization and shot-peening for added gear strength. He said the 4th option of Surface enhancement was not totally necessary, but it would cut down on friction and keep the gears cooler. They must be really busy, it's been 6 weeks and still waiting.

post #11 of 17 Old 09-02-2016, 08:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
can you guys tell me what brand clutch you are runing
post #12 of 17 Old 09-03-2016, 05:09 PM

I got a feeling they are XS. 6 weeks for my stuff also. But for the price they did 2 Astro A5 gearsest of mine, I am more than a happy guy. They will last quite a long time. I had a hard time telling the new build from the freshened up gears. If I wasn't already intimate with the gears history I wouldn't know the difference.
post #13 of 17 Old 09-03-2016, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 step View Post
I got a feeling they are XS. 6 weeks for my stuff also. But for the price they did 2 Astro A5 gearsest of mine, I am more than a happy guy. They will last quite a long time. I had a hard time telling the new build from the freshened up gears. If I wasn't already intimate with the gears history I wouldn't know the difference.
From what you've told me abut the new combo, those gears will be begging for mercy!!

post #14 of 17 Old 09-03-2016, 10:41 PM

Naw, It'll stay together. They did a nice job on the sliders and checked the Rockwell carefully. Paul was on top of that, although Terry was my contact person. Built one of them up today, and I think I might have a good one. The gears spun really nice on the mainshaft and when assembled in the case. Shifter didn't even feel like it was connected to anything.
post #15 of 17 Old 09-04-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Awesome, you'll be bangin gears before too long!

post #16 of 17 Old 09-04-2016, 11:00 AM

Yep, but I am sure I will be rusty on that first run. Sometime the wait times on things like driveline pieces, and engine components is well worth the wait in the long run. If your Liberty TKO has the same quality of workmanship as my modified Astro gears you'll have a winner.
post #17 of 17 Old 09-04-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

When I was doing tranny searchs whenever Liberty came up, they always said they are always busy, but it was worth the wait. Never saw anything negative!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement