tubes & beadlocks - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SuperStockAMX
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 07-02-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (21)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Midwestern Illinois
Posts: 1,321
tubes & beadlocks

Before I spend the $ for bead lock rims is there anything I can do to keep from tearing up tubes? The car hasn't been to the track yet.

boostup89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 07-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Registered User
 
Blk.Snake's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (8)
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: walled lake MI.
Posts: 1,390
In the old days. Lol we used baby powder inside the tires. Kept the tire from sticking to the tube. But beadlocks or screwing the tire to the rim is the best.


94 cobra, 393, afr 205s. boxr intake. (SOLD)
New 427 turbo build in progress.
Blk.Snake is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 07-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Registered User
 
hotrodder's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Deer Park Tx.
Posts: 2,640
Permatex Hi Tack or screws.
hotrodder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 07-03-2016, 03:03 AM
Registered User
 
TomR's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (2)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 4,941
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
Permatex Hi Tack or screws.
You mean this stuff will keep the tire from slipping on the rim?

https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...asket-sealant/


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
TomR is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 07-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Registered User
 
hotrodder's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Deer Park Tx.
Posts: 2,640
Yes, i've used it in the past on a partnered car with good results. Lots of guys still using it on radial cars when they can't afford beadlocks and we all know not to screw radials.
hotrodder is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 07-03-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (21)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Midwestern Illinois
Posts: 1,321
Might have to try the permatex stuff. I'm hoping it's a good indication that my suspension tuning is working. The car is hooking really nicely, starting to make some decent power but keeping the boost down. If the permatex stuff works hopefully I can turn things up a notch.
boostup89 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 09-09-2016, 07:03 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
Yes, i've used it in the past on a partnered car with good results. Lots of guys still using it on radial cars when they can't afford beadlocks and we all know not to screw radials.
Ah... not all of us.. I've never had an issue. lol

O.G. X275 racer
1.17 60' [email protected] with the angry peanut!
1.16 60' [email protected] on 1 gun (In testing)
88gtguy is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 10-07-2016, 11:41 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Anthem, Arizona
Posts: 241
My ’70 AMX has gone 10.00 on 9” x 29.5” M/T (bias) slicks, 5.13’s and Advanced Clutches / Jerico 4-speed. typically 6800 RPM launch. Cal-Tack suspension. 9” wide rims, no screws, no tubes. HAIRSPRAY.
Yep, you read that right! Hairspray is a light glue once the alcohol dissipates.
Tubes ad weight and slow you down.
SuperStockAMX is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 10-09-2016, 11:22 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStockAMX View Post
My ’70 AMX has gone 10.00 on 9” x 29.5” M/T (bias) slicks, 5.13’s and Advanced Clutches / Jerico 4-speed. typically 6800 RPM launch. Cal-Tack suspension. 9” wide rims, no screws, no tubes. HAIRSPRAY.
Yep, you read that right! Hairspray is a light glue once the alcohol dissipates.
Tubes ad weight and slow you down.
That's interesting.. why not something like hytac? Weight? Price?

Got any other tricks you'd share? I know the hardcore super stock guys can get creative!

O.G. X275 racer
1.17 60' [email protected] with the angry peanut!
1.16 60' [email protected] on 1 gun (In testing)
88gtguy is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-10-2016, 12:46 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Anthem, Arizona
Posts: 241
88GTGUY - I had made custom needle bearings for my front upper & lower control arms along with the front lower spring mount. Buy the best shocks all around. Use weight bars to your advantage. I suppose Hytac would work also but what a mess! I race a 4-speed but if you run an automatic buy the best converter. Consider after-market transmission gears with less RPM drop between gears. If you run a stick buy from Advanced Clutches. Same with the manual transmissions, pay attention to the gear splits, what it came with may not be the best for you.
Test-Test-Test and always keep your eyes and ears open for something new.
And my best advice? And this starts a S**t storm with some people because they say “impossible” ....
Chase this formula until you get it:
1320 / MPH = optimum ET. or for you short track racers 660/MPH = Optimum ET.
This applies to RACE CARS that are built to run as fast as they can as street / strip cars are full of compromises.
If the formula shows your ET is slow, don’t spend a dime on more HP. Find the issue. your MPH and weight determine what the ET should be.
You can BEAT the formula if your really good. But at least try to get the ET to what the MPH says your ET should be. This is all time over distance. Just math.
In your two times on your signature:
660/131 = 5.04 ET. You show 5.29 @ 131. You have a quarter second lingering in your car. It’s in the chassis (or track), not the engine. How much would you spend on your engine for .25 ET reduction? You don’t need too!
660 / 147 = 4.49. You show 4.85 @ 147. Good job there, you beat the formula! Whatever you are doing there is right on. Figure out how to make it happen on the 131 MPH runs.
And I have NO experience in 275 racing or NOS. Barely any Turbo stuff other than OEM stuff. So I can’t help you there. But if the HP you have is linear, meaning no single-double-triple shot of NOS as you progress down the track, I’m confident in the formula. Make it your friend, not your enemy!

88gtguy likes this.
SuperStockAMX is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 07:46 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (3)
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Northern, VA
Posts: 2,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStockAMX View Post
88GTGUY - I had made custom needle bearings for my front upper & lower control arms along with the front lower spring mount. Buy the best shocks all around. Use weight bars to your advantage. I suppose Hytac would work also but what a mess! I race a 4-speed but if you run an automatic buy the best converter. Consider after-market transmission gears with less RPM drop between gears. If you run a stick buy from Advanced Clutches. Same with the manual transmissions, pay attention to the gear splits, what it came with may not be the best for you.
Test-Test-Test and always keep your eyes and ears open for something new.
And my best advice? And this starts a S**t storm with some people because they say “impossible” ....
Chase this formula until you get it:
1320 / MPH = optimum ET. or for you short track racers 660/MPH = Optimum ET.
This applies to RACE CARS that are built to run as fast as they can as street / strip cars are full of compromises.
If the formula shows your ET is slow, don’t spend a dime on more HP. Find the issue. your MPH and weight determine what the ET should be.
You can BEAT the formula if your really good. But at least try to get the ET to what the MPH says your ET should be. This is all time over distance. Just math.
In your two times on your signature:
660/131 = 5.04 ET. You show 5.29 @ 131. You have a quarter second lingering in your car. It’s in the chassis (or track), not the engine. How much would you spend on your engine for .25 ET reduction? You don’t need too!
660 / 147 = 4.49. You show 4.85 @ 147. Good job there, you beat the formula! Whatever you are doing there is right on. Figure out how to make it happen on the 131 MPH runs.
And I have NO experience in 275 racing or NOS. Barely any Turbo stuff other than OEM stuff. So I can’t help you there. But if the HP you have is linear, meaning no single-double-triple shot of NOS as you progress down the track, I’m confident in the formula. Make it your friend, not your enemy!
To not get this thread too off track, I'd like to take the conversation to another thread... However, I couldn't agree with you more!!! Except on the 4.85... lol It should have been WAY quicker.. really for the same reasons the 5.29 should have.

O.G. X275 racer
1.17 60' [email protected] with the angry peanut!
1.16 60' [email protected] on 1 gun (In testing)
88gtguy is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (4)
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Dallas/Houston
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodder View Post
Yes, i've used it in the past on a partnered car with good results. Lots of guys still using it on radial cars when they can't afford beadlocks and we all know not to screw radials.
I want to say most of the cars in Radial Vs. The World (fastest radial class) use beadlocks? I know it can be more difficult to mount them but never heard that it shouldn't be done.
5.0thunder is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 10-11-2016, 09:07 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Anthem, Arizona
Posts: 241
You will ad considerable amount of un-sprung weight (and cost) to the car and it will have an effect of stiffening the sidewall; which maybe good or bad. Doing your own research, determine if they are using the beadlocks for improved 0-330’ times or is it a down track issue? This is one of those things you have to pay to play and hopefully it works!
Just don’t get caught up in the “monkey see - monkey do” category.
SuperStockAMX is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 10-16-2016, 08:33 PM
Registered User
 
hotrodder's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (11)
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Deer Park Tx.
Posts: 2,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0thunder View Post
I want to say most of the cars in Radial Vs. The World (fastest radial class) use beadlocks? I know it can be more difficult to mount them but never heard that it shouldn't be done.
It's actually easier to mount tires with the beadlocks, especially while at the track. Mickey Thompson specifically says to not not use screws in the radials. People still do, some without issues, some with, I haven't personally had a problem but I have beadlocks and I don't regularly run radials.
hotrodder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To weld axle tubes or not to weld axle tubes Stolen 98 General Mustang Tech 36 07-31-2015 12:53 PM
Factory SunRoof Tony91LX The Body Shop 21 03-10-2015 01:50 PM
Want To Trade BBK 1 5/8" long tubes and 2 1/2" x pipe for 1 3/4" long tubes NotoriousNotch Exhaust Parts 0 11-28-2012 08:22 PM
Tubes, or no tubes... that is the question. KonaBlueKiller S-197 Mustang GT (2011-2014) 10 10-08-2012 11:01 AM
For Sale BBK 1 5/8" Long Tubes or Trade for 1 3/4" Long Tubes NotoriousNotch Windsor Engine Parts 6 02-27-2012 11:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome