Race for Daily Drivers - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 5Likes
  • 5 Post By cleanLX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Race for Daily Drivers

If a person wanted to put on a small race, what would be the best way to get a good car and spectator count?

I was thinking of a non power adder full interior DOT completely street legal class with OEM engine as one class. This could be tuned or modified OEM cars, like Fox Mustangs, racing newer Camaro, non SC Vets, or Mustangs. My reasoning is a head, cam, and intake would let a Fox compete with a new car on a tune.

I was thinking a single power adder small block full interior completely street legal as raced, except tires which could be any tire that would fit in OEM wheel wells. My reasoning is a number of GT500's, Vets, and other OEM SC cars could compete with other full interior street legal cars with power adders.

I was thinking pay back into quarter finals so more than a few people would have a shot at some money.

The idea is to have a well attended race with some really fast cars in other classes, but not have "ringers" drive in from 1000 miles away and wind up with a five or ten car race where one or two cars take all the money. And to also draw a large local crowd by having something attractive for daily street or home modified cars.

What do people think?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-07-2016, 08:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Local track does this. Rules state must have DOT tires, must DRIVE in (no trailers), must have full exhaust, insurance, tags. One power adder. Jee does that mean I can show up with 9,000 HP nitro burning 500" job??

They trailer the race cars down to the local gas station, about 2 miles from the track. They put a tag on the back of it, and an old insurance card. And most of them run DOT slicks. Rules don't state whether the insurance and tags need to be current.

They are race cars. Street Outlaws are not "Street cars" at all either.

In that sense, the class is typical of heads-up racing. He who spend the most money usually win. Hence the reason I am not a fan. Did it way too long, got burned out.

post #3 of 16 Old 06-07-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddturbo View Post
Local track does this. Rules state must have DOT tires, must DRIVE in (no trailers), must have full exhaust, insurance, tags. One power adder. Jee does that mean I can show up with 9,000 HP nitro burning 500" job??

They trailer the race cars down to the local gas station, about 2 miles from the track. They put a tag on the back of it, and an old insurance card. And most of them run DOT slicks. Rules don't state whether the insurance and tags need to be current.

They are race cars. Street Outlaws are not "Street cars" at all either.

In that sense, the class is typical of heads-up racing. He who spend the most money usually win. Hence the reason I am not a fan. Did it way too long, got burned out.
I'm trying to figure out a way to have a race that draws a big real street car crowd, and keep it street cars. One class power adders, and one class naturally aspirated.

The rules are not made yet. Need to get a big crowd to make it work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM

that was the original goal of the series we run out here. Supposed to be all street cars. They've changed the rules a bunch of times to keep the race cars out but so far it has been unsuccessful in doing so.

Single power adder is going to make a "street car" into something it was never designed to be. All it would take is for one guy to show up with a street car making 2000 hp, no cage, full tagged, insured, drives is a few days a week. And since it's not a "race car"-yet can run into the 8's in the 1/4 mile (easily), with no cage or other safety devices for that matter, on accident and it's over with. That's where the local class got carried away at.

Racers are opportunists in that we will find a way to "skirt" (a.k.a "bend" ) the rules. This happens at EVERY level even the Jr. Dragsters....man those kids are flying. Locally, some of them are running into the 6's at 100mph with a single cylinder "briggs" engine. It is supposed to be a budget minded get-your-feet-wet kind of class, and it too has gotten out of hand. IMO, nothing can be done about the progression.

You want street cars, make it an "unmodified" class, meaning no modifications at all, as-delivered from the factory. Ultimately you'll have a few guys showing up with the 'Vette's , Vipers, GT500's, Hellcat's, and the imported stuff, and they'll run everyone else off because it's an easy win for them. Only way to keep it from happening is to add a number of wins rule. If they win a certain number of races in a given time period, make them move to a different class. But, then they'll start running 2nd place all the time purposely. One guy, redlights every so often-on purpose. Yay what a crowd pleaser, you already know what he's going to do. Seen this happen in the dirt track ranks (me). Maybe not initially, but it will happen. Happened here, and also where I moved from.

You bring the crowds with the fastest rowdiest cars. Look at NHRA nationals. When they're running Pro Stock, PSM, T/D and all of the sportsman classes, the stands are empty for the most part. Soon as the fuel cars show up, standing room only. Same thing here. Any given saturday night with no special events, you'll have about 100 cars show up and maybe 500 spectators. When they have an outlaw show or a small tire show, figure on 3000+ spectators and that's being conservative.

IMO, we gotta figure out how to get the younger crowd to participate. Not just in the stands, but also out on the track. Us old guys have been doing this stuff a while and it's in our blood, part of our livelihood. The younger kids-who tend to sit behind a computer playing racing video games-don't have a reason to take their Civic to the track and make a few passes. Plus running a Civic down the 1/4 is for the most part boring (there are exceptions of course). Then you have to ask yourself, why would they want to go to the track? If you can figure that out, you have your answer as to how to fill the stands....and staging lanes.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddturbo View Post
IMO, we gotta figure out how to get the younger crowd to participate. Not just in the stands, but also out on the track. Us old guys have been doing this stuff a while and it's in our blood, part of our livelihood. The younger kids-who tend to sit behind a computer playing racing video games-don't have a reason to take their Civic to the track and make a few passes. Plus running a Civic down the 1/4 is for the most part boring (there are exceptions of course). Then you have to ask yourself, why would they want to go to the track? If you can figure that out, you have your answer as to how to fill the stands....and staging lanes.
That's what I am trying to do. Trying to get all the 5.0's running around, and the slightly warmed Foxes, and the other 12 second cars there to fill in between the real fast cars. Camaro and Vet, and so on .

My thought is by allowing any engine mod as long as stock engine type is retained and a tire fit the factory wheel well and FULL street equipment and interior rule, it will keep ringers out. Also to pay back a few rounds instead of winner take all.

There has to be something to draw in street cars.

post #6 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 09:51 AM

Trader Feedback: (29)
Will there be stick shift classes in this proposed event
post #7 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 02:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Back in my home town they have a very successful street car event that is run annually.
They have a show and shine downtown that is "attendance required" to be eligible for the race.
All cars must be registered/licensed and insured, DOT tires... which makes sense given they have to drive (no trailers) to the show and shine on public roads.
All participants must have drivers license with address for that town... aka no outta town hot shoes.
Since trying to class cars with power adder or n/a is too hard to do (Viper is going to obliterate a 92 GT vert automatic) they have breakout classes...
They gave each breakout class a name... so, instead of claiming "hey I won the 14 index class", you get to say "Hey I won street cruiser class" or what ever.
Yes, it was index racing, but, it was heads up index racing. If I recall, there was 14sec, 13sec, 12sec, 11sec and 10sec breakouts... and an open class. At the time that made sense to me, because if you have a car that'll run faster than 10.000 legally, it's more than likely a race car... that can be driven on the street.
Once at the track, cars had to pass IHRA tech inspection... which kept the faster street yahoo's away.
Track was rented. Participants only.
Friday night was test and tune, as many runs as you like.
Saturday am was test and tune. 3 runs per car.
Saturday pm was was qualifying. 3 runs per car, then qualifiers were broke out into 2 ladders.
Sunday morning was preliminary round eliminations. (double round elimination, so 2 runs guaranteed.)
Sunday pm was top 10 (in class, top 5 per ladder) show down.

Other than Friday night, you were called to the lanes based on what class you were racing. Made things very structured/organized... no free for all sit in the lanes all day trying to get your 3 runs...
The 1 year I participated, I ran "Sportsman", 13.000 breakout. Car would run 13.2's all day, but I was good on the tree.
Got beat first round by a '69 Dart 340... beautiful car.
Got moved to the other ladder and went all the way.
Second round, went all the way to meet the same Dart 340... tree'd him, got out of the hole really well, hit all my shift points... friggin' Dart went by in the last few feet... lost again... second place for me.
Best weekend of racing ever... for this amateur...
All kinds of runs, organized/no confusion.

Hope that provides some ideas for you...

Mike H.
Duffee 306 and E7te's, Buddy Rawls cam. 368rwhp/363rwtq.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Shift View Post
Will there be stick shift classes in this proposed event
Haven't thought about that.

post #9 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanLX View Post
Hope that provides some ideas for you...
Thanks, it does!

post #10 of 16 Old 06-08-2016, 10:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Make them show current insurance,tag(for that vehicle!!)and demonstrate that all necessary equipment works. Make them do a 30 mile drive out on the highway..then race after a cool down. No filling back up with race gas,or draining intercooler tanks,no going under hood,other than to tighten a hose clamp(I'd do that on a street car before a race)! Basically what the Nmra true street class does! Me.. I'd make them race on a "hard tire"..no cheater slicks,no drag radials..

post #11 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 08:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Thanks, it does!
one last thing, the brochures/pamphlets/programs had a brief description of each class of car... was pretty unique and inviting and made for interest for each division.

Mike H.
Duffee 306 and E7te's, Buddy Rawls cam. 368rwhp/363rwtq.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-09-2016, 11:08 AM

Trader Feedback: (40)
always hard to start a fair class where everybody can be competitive. As soon as some guys realize that they can't compete anymore they drop out. We had a top 10 list race for Mustangs that was popular at the 1/8th mile track. Winning car was about a 650 range and a bunch of 750's and a few in the low 8's in the top 10. We did it monthly and as the event got better it became more competitive. Became that you needed a 7.0 car to be in the few last spots, bunch of 650 to 640's and top 3 cars ran 5:80's to 6:20's. I won it a few times, every month you had to defend your spot. A new car had to start at the bottom and work its way up by challenging the next car above it. This way if a 5:80 car showed up you knew he had to race 9 times before he got to the number 1 car. So what ever spot he got to that month he held it for next month lineup. We started a second class, 8:00 breakout because some of the real street cars stopped coming as they said it wasn't fun anymore because they where outclassed which I agreed. That class is now the biggest and most fun as now we hear guys are getting tires and power adders to try to compete now.

93 Coupe, Reef Blue, a/c, 3:55's, 10 holes,
1/8 6.56 @ 103.23 mph, 1/4 10.37 @ 128.49 mph 1.43 6/06/15
1/8 Nos 6.06 @ 114.71 mph 1.38 12/16/15
1/4 Nos 9.879 @ 135.29 mph 1.39 12/19/15
post #13 of 16 Old 07-26-2016, 10:30 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
TomR, i think it's a great idea. Now, will you come build a track in the West Georgia area?

Joe

93 GT w/ 331
Bottom of the Barrel Budget
Working on the 60ft, thanks Kevin Slaby!
1.57 60ft and 7.45 @ 92.19, Previous best 60ft was 1.83.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-31-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedFox View Post
TomR, i think it's a great idea. Now, will you come build a track in the West Georgia area?

Joe
We have more than enough tracks. The promoters should use unified rules for street classes.

The last race in Georgia was on DOT street legal tires for true street and daily driver. I had to buy tires just for that race. The true street did a 25 mile cruise.

I don't see fuel swap as an issue at all. No one wants to burn $12/gal fuel for a 20-30 mile cruise. If the car can cruise on regular unleaded, it can cruise on race fuel.

July 23 2016 race (some rounds missing). White Lightning wins on DOT street legal tires. LOL :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30t-h2gLHFI

post #15 of 16 Old 07-31-2016, 10:04 AM
Corral Elite Member

link no workey....

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #16 of 16 Old 08-08-2016, 04:53 PM

How about doing a claimer rule on something? Tires? Suspension? Transmission? etc. It works in circle track stuff, for the most part. There's always someone who can dominate, but won't because he knows his [engine?] can be bought for $500 at the end of the night. Is that something that could be considered or no?

I'm watching this, and I've already seen a few hundred ways of getting around the proposals. Local tracks tried it, and the class usually has about 25 cars show up to run. They have a 7.00 breakout. Several of the cars are 5.00 cars, and they sandbag to a 7.00 at 50 mph, for example. Perfectly legal by the rule book. I used to run in the class. One of the rules is "stock wheel tubs only"....and it wasn't too hard to find another car that came with wider tubs, cut the tubs out, and spot weld them into the "race" car....they were the stock tubs, per rules. It didn't say anything about being the ones that CAME STOCK in the car I was driving. If you were good with the install, you couldn't tell the difference. In an early Falcon, I could get some LTD tubs in it with some "massaging", which allowed a 10" wide tire-barely. The factory installed tubs wouldn't allow more than 8", maybe 8.5".

Then safety. If the class is, say, a 7.50 index (1/8 mile), and only a 6 point cage is required at 7.50, what happens when someone shows up with a 2000hp turbo car that'll run 7's in the 1/4 at close to 200 mph, and sandbags his way to 7.50? Is that 6 point cage going to be safe enough for 7.50 in the 1/8 at, say, 125 mph for example?

'92GT, 427" and '93 "LXVO" coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement