One wheel burnout at the track ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-29-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
One wheel burnout at the track ?

Last time at the track i was only getting a one wheel burnout,how much effect will this have on my et ?seems like its time for a rear end rebuild

96gt,svo intake,svo heads,mhs blower cams strim(2.65)pulley, IW 10% crank pulley,AFM powerpipe,60's,full fuel system,
sct2600,bbk longtubes & h pipe,4.10'water methanol.
new numbers 602rwhp,[email protected] at 3590 lbs.
best et [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-31-2016, 09:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vortech gt View Post
Last time at the track i was only getting a one wheel burnout,how much effect will this have on my et ?seems like its time for a rear end rebuild
Ford normally stacks the rear end clutches with a bias away from power to the right wheel. They do this because the right wheel has a tendency to lift and lose traction especially when turning right, so it makes it better on the street.

It also limits positraction to when the tires have some reasonable grip. The stacking method they use delays lock up for higher tire friction, so it doesn't lock well with wet tires.

If you want to stop the one wheel peal when the tires are wet, you have to restack the friction clutches and steels in the posi unit. Look at it and put a steel against every friction surface, and try to pack an extra clutch or steel in if it is loose. Always keep a steel against a friction surface.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #3 of 7 Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

I've had the trak lok since 2004 and it has held up pretty well with lots of passes at the track. Since i have a new one in the box i will just replaced it

96gt,svo intake,svo heads,mhs blower cams strim(2.65)pulley, IW 10% crank pulley,AFM powerpipe,60's,full fuel system,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-02-2016, 05:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
I've had the trak lok since 2004 and it has held up pretty well with lots of passes at the track. Since i have a new one in the box i will just replaced it
You'll still need to go through the process of stacking up the new clutches. A lot of people use the stacking method TomR mentioned, it will make the diff tighter and last longer between rebuilds.

T-trimmed black 99 GT
Terminator SB, 44cc TFS heads, HP292 cams,
RR intake, faceplated T56
20+ psi @ 7k, 10.327/136.14/1.417
post #5 of 7 Old 06-02-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys but the question is how would it affect my times and also I'm getting a retune in a couple days so would my horsepower be affected

post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2016, 08:04 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks guys but the question is how would it affect my times and also I'm getting a retune in a couple days so would my horsepower be affected
If your car is hooking both tires evenly, restacking will not affect ET or power.

If the car has any more wheel spin on the right tire than on the left, restacking will speed the car up.

Ford stacks the frictions and steels "funny" because it is a street car. The right rear tire already has a tendency to lift and lose weight, so they intentionally starve that tire for power. This helps prevent fishtailing if the driver is turning sharp corners under power.

I've been restacking clutches every time I have ever had a rear end apart since 1983. I've yet to find a problem.

IMO, it is foolish to NOT restack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89 LX. 363, single turbo, Super Vic EFI, TFS high port heads by TEA, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (exact combo varies)
post #7 of 7 Old 06-09-2016, 12:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Garage
^^^^ To confirm what Tom said, this winter I did a Strange package of 33 spine race axles (full induction hardened), c clip elims, and a lightweight race spool. My trac lock was getting tired, and doing occasional one wheel burn outs. 60's were creeping up from 1.54's to 1.58's and 9's. Time to go.

At the track, I saw no significant improvement in 60', still bests of 1.54, but very very consistent. All 1.54's. Also, definitely hits harder on launch and able to run a little higher air pressure in the Hoosiers and still hook hard. Picks the front wheels up about 3" more than before. The spool/higher tire pressure I believe were worth half a tenth and an extra mph in the traps.

99 coupe. C4/8Ē 5000 stall w/2003 Mach crate motor FRPP stock N/A, Kooks LT's and X,dumps no muffs. 4.56's
Best ET 11.42 Best MPH 116.33Best 60" 1.49
Coincidence. A convenient and overused word for the mentally lazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement