Can you powershift form 3rd to second w/a faceplated trans? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-11-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (43)
Can you powershift from 3rd to second w/a faceplated trans?

My son was drag racing with a "Z" T-5 and somehow screwed up on a powershift and when in 3rd going to 4th, he must have pulled back at a angle and it went back into second. He said it got real ugly for a second and the engine rpms went sky high. Thankfully nothing broke. He is building a 363 and was looking into a faceplated TKO600 for high rpm shifting. If you do what he did and don't pull straight back, would it go from 3rd back into second even easier since it is faceplated. I guess what he wanted me to ask is if he goes to a faceplated trans, would it powershift from 3rd to 2nd just as quick/easy as it would 3rd to 4th if you pull the shifter wrong? I hope that makes sense. It's only ever happened 1 time for him, but it scared the crap out of him and he was a little nervous about doing a faceplated trans if it would be even easier to make that mistake again. Thanks

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-12-2016, 05:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I haven't done it in a faceplated trans XS, but I would guess that yes you can. I have had the same unfortunate experience your son has had though with a syncro trans. Blew the linings right of my clutch and destroyed my valve springs. Might want to keep that in mind. Mine was a 2nd to 1st boo boo, when it should have gone to 3rd. That was about 10 years ago.

post #3 of 10 Old 05-12-2016, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomojak View Post
I haven't done it in a faceplated trans XS, but I would guess that yes you can. I have had the same unfortunate experience your son has had though with a syncro trans. Blew the linings right of my clutch and destroyed my valve springs. Might want to keep that in mind. Mine was a 2nd to 1st boo boo, when it should have gone to 3rd. That was about 10 years ago.
Knock on wood, I have never had it happen, but I don't shift real fast and have never had a really nasty engine before either. I can see where it would creep you out and tear stuff up. I saw a you-tube vid of a front wheel drive ricer with slicks that did that and it looked like he slammed on the brakes and the rear of the car actually came up in the air. Yikes!

Just an old carpenter with a 94 Cobra and a Son with a nasty 85GT! I'm Show and he's Go!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 05-12-2016, 09:28 PM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
I cant powershift from 3rd or to 3rd......I only has 2 forward gears.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.57 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.339 @ 133.46 mph with a 1.29 60'
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 340ish RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #5 of 10 Old 05-12-2016, 09:51 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
what shifter was he using? I had a faceplated TKO with a pro 5.0 shifter and i think it would be very hard to go from 3-2, the centering spring in that shifter is pretty tight and the 3-4 shift was the easiest gear to hit, no thought required.

Street car with a 5 speed
427ci SBF -- 9.86 at 136mph
http://youtu.be/2GKQ2xpZraU

Drag Week 2013 SR/SB/NA Winner
post #6 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 07:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Notch View Post
what shifter was he using? I had a faceplated TKO with a pro 5.0 shifter and i think it would be very hard to go from 3-2, the centering spring in that shifter is pretty tight and the 3-4 shift was the easiest gear to hit, no thought required.
The shifter was a Steeda Tri-Ax which has pretty stiff springs that hold it so it's straight up to 3rd and straight back to forth. He would have actually had to pull over against the springs to the left to bring it back to 2nd. I assume he just had a brain fart and pulled the shifter towards him. Years ago a guy told me that he grips the top of the shift knob for 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd and then he turns his hand so it is kind of on the left side of the shifter for the 3rd to 4th. He said this help prevent him from pulling towards him. If I tried that, it would probably be a powershift into reverse!!

post #7 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen414 View Post
I cant powershift from 3rd or to 3rd......I only has 2 forward gears.
That's cheating!!!!

post #8 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
My brother n law did it in a dog ringed T5 (same idea). 8800rpm shift from 3rd to 2nd. It sheared the flywheel bolts, took out the input shaft, and split the scatter shield open. Everything stayed inside, but it broke through the steel.

Joe

93 GT w/ 331
Bottom of the Barrel Budget
Working on the 60ft, thanks Kevin Slaby!
1.57 60ft and 7.45 @ 92.19, Previous best 60ft was 1.83.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 08:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (26)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc's Notch View Post
^^^This right here. I have one of Doc's faceplated TKO's along with the pro 5.0 and this seems hard to do even by accident. Maybe a problem with the trans.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-13-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedFox View Post
My brother n law did it in a dog ringed T5 (same idea). 8800rpm shift from 3rd to 2nd. It sheared the flywheel bolts, took out the input shaft, and split the scatter shield open. Everything stayed inside, but it broke through the steel.

Joe
I bet that required a new pair of underwear too! I can't image that happening at 8800! Yikes!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement