Any Belt Driven Fuel Pump Setups in Here? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SRTthis798

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-2016, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (19)
Any Belt Driven Fuel Pump Setups in Here?

I'm looking for mounting ideas/pics of belt driven fuel pumps with rear mounted fuel tanks. I have a magnafuel outlaw 525 pump which will be front mounted and pulling from a sumped stock tank. The plan is to fabricate a bracket to mount the pump at about the same level as the crank. Anybody doing something similar?

For reference, car is a fox body with a turbo 369ci on E85.

MFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2016, 03:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
most guys you see running those pumps will have them mounted on motor plates. going to be hard pressed to find one mounted otherwise. might be better off with a waterman pump and shaft drive

DreadFox likes this.

DT Racing and Fabrication

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew Chief
Roche Racing engines Billet headed windsor! BMF on 275s!
my car-88lx- 408" stock block gangster!!!
post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTthis798 View Post
most guys you see running those pumps will have them mounted on motor plates. going to be hard pressed to find one mounted otherwise. might be better off with a waterman pump and shaft drive
I like the motor plate idea but my problem is that I don't know if my turbo headers(flipped BBK headers) will clear a front plate. Once I get my new short block in there I'll have to mock it up to see if going with a front motor plate will clear the flipped BBK headers. Have you seen any setups with the pump on a mid plate or flipped BBK headers and a front motor plate? I already have the mid plate. I'm custom fabricating my entire hot side so as long as I have room to work with then I'll be fine.

But yeah if all else fails then I'll be going with a cable drive setup.

MFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2016, 11:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Seems like it'd be easier to work with the motor plate to make your headers clear, then to have to re-work the headers to clear the motor plate. I don't know your setup, I may be way off in my thinking.

Lot of drag cars just use a cam spud drive, drives the pump off of the camshaft. Requires special front cover and a lot of times remote water pump. But it works slick. On a SBC it's simple but on a Ford, I haven't seen a lot of them. At one time, Ken Lowe had a setup to run a cam driven pump, but I don't remember if it was cleveland or windsor. MPG heads might have a cover too. RYR has one, that is set up for belt drive, but you can change the outer cover to run a mechanically driven pump off the cam.

I just mounted mine right on the motor plate, done. But I don't have forward facing headers either, so it was really easy.

'92GT, 427" and '93 "LXVO" coupe
post #5 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 08:17 AM

i dont think ive ever seen one driven off the cam... every one ive seen has been driven off a crank mandrel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Crew Chief
post #6 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

The new setup is completely new, as in I've got all (or most) parts either already here or on the way, and I'm in the planning phase. Right now, I'm in the process of taking out all of the old stuff and all I have left is the rear end and fuel tank. So my engine bay is completely open and ready for whatever configuration I want. This was a near stock car before so I have essentially free reign as long as my budget accepts it. I looked at some flipped BBK turbo setups on the net, and some had front engine plates. You're right, I'll just fab the crossover around the front engine plate. I have a remote water pump as well so that's out of the way. AC is gone, power steering is gone so the only drive accessory will be an alternator and the fuel pump.

Cam driven isn't an option I considered because of the pump height and cost of the front cover/belt drive because this is still a street car haha! I know folks are making these pumps work with rear tank and crank mandrel with custom mounting but I just haven't seen many pics of what their setup is like. The other route is a cable drive to either the midplate or all the way back to the tank. I really want to just put the pump up front and be done with it even if it means a few weekends of fabrication to get it right.

And I can only remember seeing cam driven pumps on really nasty methanol/nitro and blower setups. I haven't come across any hobbyist type builds using a cam drive but that's not to say there aren't any out there. And sprint outlaws run the cam drive but that's Chevy stuff. I'm running the stock front cover, and really want to keep it that way for now.

MFT
post #7 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

toddturbo, are you running a rear sumped tank?

MFT
post #8 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 11:27 AM

any reason you dont want to run something like a weldon 2345?

Crew Chief
post #9 of 9 Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRTthis798 View Post
any reason you dont want to run something like a weldon 2345?
I explored the big weldon pumps, and didn't want spend the money on the controller to be able to drive the car on the street while still being near the upper limit of the pump when using E85. And also this is an "inconspicuous" build so I didn't want the noise of a huge electric pump. I figured setting the car up for a belt driven pump right out the gate would be the most cost effective option because I've seen a few folks over on the bullet who quickly outgrew their electric pumps on E85 and then switched to a belt drive setup. The build list as it sits should make near 1400hp crank then I run out of injector. The turbo is the billet Ultra 88 from CRT...should be on my doorstep any day now hopefully!

MFT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement