DRAG RACING SETUP QUESTIONS - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-20-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
DRAG RACING SETUP QUESTIONS

I am building a budget car up for drag racing, just for fun on the racing aspect of it...

it will be very mild, at least for awhile in the power department, hey I'm poor...

302, e cam, explorer intake, maybe some gt40 heads soon

gutted hatch, 4r70w trans, probably going with 4:10 gears

I have all stock brakes and suspension, I'm ok with the brakes for now. I know nothing about modifiying a foxbody for drag racing...

At my power levels would I benefit much from changing out the original parts? I would definitely like to get some decent sized tires as the first modification. I know that much...

Should I even worry about springs/struts/shocks adjustable control arms or is that not even noticeable with how much power I have?

If they will make it faster, and I'm on a budget, what gives the most bang for the bucks? I.E. what would you replace first if you had to take things in stages? like would you do springs/shocks first or rear control arms first?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-20-2016, 08:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Put the car together with the parts you have and go have fun with it, find you a local bracket program, lots of fun to be had. Upgrade and replace parts as they become the weak link.

post #3 of 5 Old 04-21-2016, 08:04 AM

Trader Feedback: (13)
I wouldn't go larger than a 26x8.5-10.0 slick to start with. Like above stated with just use what you got for now. Maybe look into a c4 transmission with a good converter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-21-2016, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
I just swapped a 4r70 into it, I am using a stock converter that I would like to upgrade at some point, has a transgo manual shift kit in it, I have overdrive and lock-up on switches in case I ever want to drive it far, it will still drive on the street every now and then. But the main goal for it is to make it as fast as possible at the drag strip... I agree the c4 is a better trans for drag racing, probably much lighter as well, but I only have about 200 bucks in this transmission including the $50 purchase, fluid, and shift kit...

Yes I plan to run the stock suspension for now, glad to hear it will hold up for a bit on my power levels and will get me started! I buy everything used or some kind of deal for it as its just a budget beater, I even got the foxbody for free after my sn95 got wrecked, just wondering what to buy first if I ever come across a suspension mod too good to pass up
post #5 of 5 Old 04-21-2016, 11:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
I think you would like LCA's pretty soon...I put those on my SN95 & it eliminated ALL wheel hop on launches & around corners! I feed throttle anytime now & it just goes.... One of my most effective mods. I bought the MM adjustables...have fun!

Try & be the person your dog thinks you are...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement