Weather Station usage - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-06-2016, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Weather Station usage

I bought a Kestrel 4250 portable racing station and need to figure out how to best use it. I believe the most important measurements will be:

Density Altitude
Temperature
Relative Humidity
Moisture (grains)
Pressure
Wind speed

Of course DA uses temperature, pressure, and humidity and compares the air to standard temp, pressure, and humidity but it seems at the same DA that I am more affected by humidity than temperature. I hear people talking about grains of moisture independent of DA. I understand that relative humidity is dependent upon temperature so grains of moisture is probably an absolute measure of the water in the air.

My questions:

1. Should I be looking at any measurements other than what I listed?
2. How do I consider relative humidity and/or moisture (grains) in figuring what I will run to be more accurate than just using DA?
3. Is there any good software or reference material to help figuring what I will run? I know some meters have this functionality built in but they are more expensive too.

'67 notchback 289 Mustang - first car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-11-2016, 09:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (192)
In my opinion the greatest influence is DA and Barometer

1984 GT, 363 -RHS215 heads & Super Vic intake by MCRP, FTI cam, Carbureted, Glide, 4.30's, pump gas, street legal, N/A
Bests:1.35 60' / 6.21 /9.76 and 138.8 mph.
Thanks MCRP, UCC, FTI, Sepanek, Braswell, Racecraft, and Team Z
post #3 of 6 Old 03-11-2016, 09:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (192)
On that note if yours doesn't do Barometer...send it back and get one that does.

1984 GT, 363 -RHS215 heads & Super Vic intake by MCRP, FTI cam, Carbureted, Glide, 4.30's, pump gas, street legal, N/A
Bests:1.35 60' / 6.21 /9.76 and 138.8 mph.
Thanks MCRP, UCC, FTI, Sepanek, Braswell, Racecraft, and Team Z
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I've noticed that even when the weather's "good" - i.e. cool with decent pressure - I can still run slow if the GoW are high; easily enough to offset the temperature benefits.

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-11-2016, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifter View Post
In my opinion the greatest influence is DA and Barometer
It uses pressure to calculate DA.

post #6 of 6 Old 03-11-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLTDLX View Post
I've noticed that even when the weather's "good" - i.e. cool with decent pressure - I can still run slow if the GoW are high; easily enough to offset the temperature benefits.
GoW is grains of water? I think you are saying what I believe also: humidity affects me more than heat. To me this means not all DA's are equal ... lower temp and higher humidity is worse than higher temp and lower humidity. Other than logging a bunch of runs (which I will do) is there a good rule of thumb to understand the impact of humidity or grains? I'm not actually sure what grains of water is telling me compared to humidity. Possibly just an absolute measure vs. a relative measure I guess.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement