Trans brakes...Help me decide... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-10-2012, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (50)
Garage
Trans brakes...Help me decide...

Alright, car is a 88 Coupe in my sig

Im curious as to a few things and trying to decide what way I want to go. I know without a doubt I want the car to 60' GREAT on the track. I would love to see it do sub 1.50 on a consistent basis.

I would say im probably going to have to go with a trans brake model valve body. Reverse pattern of course...I want to street drive the car alot. I know im going to wired a guarded switch on the dash for the transbrake and then probably still use a button on the shifter to prevent accidental street engagments.

Now, what I want to know is about the engine braking...Im unsure of how they work. I notice some models have engine braking abilities in 1st gear. While other have no engine braking at all.

What im worried about, is the street driving. Lets say im rolling up to a street light that is red and I begin slowing down. without engine braking how will I re-engage the converter so I can continue on driving without having to slow down enough to go all the way into 1st gear?

88 LX Coupe - FordStrokers DIY 408w - Hi Ports - TKO 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-10-2012, 02:36 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
I would say it this point with your combo, a trans brake is over kill, spend the money elsa where on the car.

It's not the size of your shop, it's what comes out of it that counts.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-10-2012, 02:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Are you changing valve bodies anyway? If so, its not much more to buy one that has a brake in it. Keep in mind you dont have to run, but if you do ou will also need a 2-step in order to get any type of consistency out of it.

Also, please clarify what you mean abour re-engaging the converter. You can down shift anytime you want from 3-2. I just would not down shift to first with out coming to a rolling stop..

The engine breaking is something is new to me. I have been running a c-4 on the streets with manual v-body for years with no problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-10-2012, 03:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (98)
The converter never dis engauges.

The only diff from any other auto is you shift it up and down. The engine braking will slow the car down with the engine if you lift the engine will not return to idle when you lift.

The only time you will have issues is if you are in too low of a gear for the speed and the engine will have to rev to catch up.

I have had a brake in my car a couple times it never shifted as good as the man vb. plus the brake destroyed some driveline parts when I used it.
Figured out how to make the car work better without it.

Tim

86 mustang
454 FTI LS3 Mast intake FTI hyd roller Holley EFI 275 MT Pump gas e85. 9.24 143.58 1.33 3.73 5.84 116.21
HR Drag Week 2013 SS-BB-NA Winner
www.flowtechinduction.com
post #5 of 7 Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM

Trader Feedback: (32)
Garage
My brake has engine braking from high to second, but not second to first. It's a one wire solenoid design, and releases fast. I've used this brake on my dual purpose street/strip car for many years, and it has proven to be a durable part.

'93 Cobra 10.26 @ 129.08 1.39 sixty foot
'04 Lightning 13.39 @ 101.80 1.91 sixty foot
post #6 of 7 Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
You don't really need to rig up some cover or anything like that for the transbrake. If you're worried about hitting it when you don't want to, just run the power of the trans brake through a covered switch. When you want the transbrake flip the switch and the button is live. When you don't want it, close the switch and the button is dead.

O.G. X275 racer
1.17 60' [email protected] with the angry peanut!
1.16 60' [email protected] on 1 gun (In testing)
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2012, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (50)
Garage
Yes, I need a valve body reguardless right now...The trans is without one, which is why im wondering if I should go with a brake model or not right out of the gate.

88 LX Coupe - FordStrokers DIY 408w - Hi Ports - TKO 600
Sponsored Links
Advertisement