Help: wiring line lock to cruise off button - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Exclamation Help: wiring line lock to cruise off button

I'm attempting to wire up my line lock to use the cruise off button and a relay to activate the line lock. Im using a test light to act as the line lock for now because i had to replace the old line lock. Here's a crude diagram i made up in paint.

Everything works normal when the relay is not powered. When i power the relay i can hear it click and i get continuity between the test light/line lock wire coming from the relay and ground when the cruise off button is pressed. When i connect the test light to ground and press the off button the light doesn't come on. Also when the test light is grounded and the relay is powered the "on" cruise button sounds the horn. Im trying to figure out why the horn is activated by the "on" button only when the test light is grounded and relay powered and also why the test light isnt coming on when grounded and the off button is pressed. I tried to make it as painless to read as possible but ask any questions if you need to.
Thanks

Last edited by dreamer; 12-29-2011 at 12:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Mine was doing the exact same thing, never figured out why? It does appear your wiring is wrong though, #30 should be your switched hot, 85 and 86 are your ground and activation, and 87 will go to the line lock. You won't use 87a, it will be hot all the time, and when 12v is put to 85 or 86 it will go dead and 87 will be hot.

post #3 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

The reason I had It wired like that is so I could use the cruise control normally when the relay wasnt active and then switch the relay on and the cruise butting would then power the line lock. I suppose I could use the off button as the activation for the relay and just put it inline with 85 86. The cruise button would then always work the relay but I usually use the brakes to turn of cruise anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Ohhh, I see. I don't know why that wouldnt work then?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

i figured it out. when the cruise button is pressed its suppling ground to the circuit, when the line lock is wired to a power source, for me the fuse box, it works great. I didnt realize it was a grounded circuit and not powered
post #6 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 06:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (55)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
i figured it out. when the cruise button is pressed its suppling ground to the circuit, when the line lock is wired to a power source, for me the fuse box, it works great. I didnt realize it was a grounded circuit and not powered
If that's the case could you run the cruise control button wire to 86 and leave everything else the same?

92 Hatch On3 Turbo, T56
92 Vert 349 Lunati Stroker T5
87 Gt Eddy HCI T5
87 Notch in progress
post #7 of 8 Old 12-29-2011, 10:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
I have been wiring line locks to the off button for years and yes you are correct, the reason I don't use the on button is it grounds that circuit when pressed. I used to also use a MSD rpm activated switch to turn on the up shift light, I used it as a shift light on my '85 GT. I tried to keep that car as stealthy as possible. I used to keep a 6700 rpm chip in the rpm activated switch.

If I buy a part or parts from you do not send me those parts through USPS, I would actualy like to get the parts I purchase.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 PM

So are y'all saying that the on button provides ground, and the off button provides 12volts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement