Can someone school me on "Water-Box 101"? When to use/not use? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 06-23-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Can someone school me on "Water-Box 101"? When to use/not use?

OK, I have been to the dragstrip once or twice, but noticed there are a variety of ways to utilize the water box. Do street radials drive around it? Do you do the burnout IN the box, or pull through and then burnout?

I have street radials, but will be swapping to a slick in the near future.

1983 GT T-Tops (H.C.I.)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vibrant Red 93 Cobra #615-SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1966 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 12:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (43)
do not drive through the water boz with radials.
i run nittos so i go around the box then back up while watching the track official. he will let me know when to stop and start my burnout. this is usually at the edge of the box.
i have only ran at the track 4-5 times so i'm sure the experts will chime in with the correct methods.

92 GT 5sp w/ Thumper ported GT40s, Cobra intake w/TMoss ported lower, Crane 2031, On3 70mm, AIS water/meth, AFM PMS, flashACQ

stocking out 11/13
post #3 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 12:20 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
radials, go around the water, do not back into it. stay away completely.

slicks and skinnies, pull through the water until your back tires are in, spin the tires to get them wet, pull up a few inches out of the water and proceed to do a 2nd gear burnout, release the break and roll out until the tires hook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 01:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
we drive around the water and back in because u will bring water up off the front tires if u drive all the way in. i have a roll contral on my car so i dont use my back brakes up when doing a burn out
post #5 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 07:02 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by faststang90 View Post
we drive around the water and back in because u will bring water up off the front tires if u drive all the way in. i have a roll contral on my car so i dont use my back brakes up when doing a burn out
If you are running a fat/stock type tire up front, definitely drive around the water box. As mentioned, you get water in the front treads and it just drips down on the track right under your rear tires.

If you are on skinnies and slicks, its not a problem.

Even on radials as long as you have skinnies up front, you can roll through the water box. Do not spin them over in the water box. A properly prepared water box will be wide enough that as you roll through it, you get the entire tire wet enough to start spinning them once you are out of the box on dry pavement. That is the only thing the water is for, to make it easier to turn the tires to get your burnout going.

All that said, even with a radial as long as you barely wet them and don't spin them in the box (spinning in the box will sling water up into your rear fender well which will then drip down onto the tire after your burnout), they will dry off and be ready to race.

Carl S.: 417", Yates C3s, Edelbrock 2828, Dominator, Powerglide, 4.10s, 3100 lbs raceweight. 1.27 60' [email protected] nitrous on 275/60 Mickeys in Ultra trim
2014 Ruby Red GT Auto, bone stock for now
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/carlrenee1/sigpic1-1.jpg
post #6 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 08:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
slicks.... drive through the water. DO NOT SPIN THE TIRES OVER.... there is no need. once you roll through the water, they are wet... no need to spin.... that will just throw water up in the fenders and that will in turn fall down on the tires after the burn out and end up on the track.... so after you drive through the water box, STOP AT THE END. usually a track official will tell you when to stop... not at my track, morons drive up about 5 feet, draggin the water that far with them.... then there's the snowball effect of people trying to drive out farther than where the last person stopped...and you see where this is going.

and if you have street tires.... be kind to everyone else out there trying to do a little testing, line up out of the groove so you don't tear up the rubber laid down on the track

1991 coupe
stock bottom end, c4, nitrous,
1.43 [email protected] [email protected] revlimiter at 8.4
X275 BBFN2O 1>2 [email protected]
post #7 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 08:22 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by White90GT View Post
If you are running a fat/stock type tire up front, definitely drive around the water box. As mentioned, you get water in the front treads and it just drips down on the track right under your rear tires.

If you are on skinnies and slicks, its not a problem.

Even on radials as long as you have skinnies up front, you can roll through the water box. Do not spin them over in the water box. A properly prepared water box will be wide enough that as you roll through it, you get the entire tire wet enough to start spinning them once you are out of the box on dry pavement. That is the only thing the water is for, to make it easier to turn the tires to get your burnout going.

All that said, even with a radial as long as you barely wet them and don't spin them in the box (spinning in the box will sling water up into your rear fender well which will then drip down onto the tire after your burnout), they will dry off and be ready to race.

^^^what he said..i just didn't read it before i posted!^^^

1991 coupe
stock bottom end, c4, nitrous,
1.43 [email protected] [email protected] revlimiter at 8.4
X275 BBFN2O 1>2 [email protected]
post #8 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I back into the box, and then give them a once over. Pull forward, and proceed into the burnout...

If I ran skinnies out front I would go through the water box, but with the 255s, I don't want to drag water up to the starting line.

The starters will actually help you out. Get you into the water, help you pull forward etc...

89 LX: Stock cam, E7s, Cobra intake, 3.73s and bolt ons... BESTS
12.56 et 107.4 mph: slicks, 12.53 et 108.2 mph: 17" ET Streets, 12.87 et 111.5 mph: 17" DRs, 12.95 et 109.2 mph: 18" radials
post #9 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 09:18 AM

we have 3.5 up front and it still puts water up there but are 60 foot times are in the 1.30 range. that maybe the differents that we are having. just tring to get the power to the ground.
post #10 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Trader Feedback: (53)
I roll through the box very slow so not to get water on the top of my inner rear fenders and stop right outside the box and do my burn out. I have 15x3.5 up front and get 60' in the high 1.3's every time.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GT5.0 View Post
OK, I have been to the dragstrip once or twice, but noticed there are a variety of ways to utilize the water box. Do street radials drive around it? Do you do the burnout IN the box, or pull through and then burnout?

I have street radials, but will be swapping to a slick in the near future.
Yes,drive around water box with street radials,back to the edge of the water box without getting into the water.You should have enough power to do a burnout on street radials without getting in the water box.Then wait for track official tell you to do your burnout then pull to the starting line.

Mockstang Racing Team
81 Mustang lx
347ci,Performer Rpm and Vic Jr Intake Stage1,750dp carb,Soild roller 640,1 3/4 header and 3 inch Flow Master muffler,C-4,8-inch converter,5.43 gears,31-14-15 slick,3050lbs w/d and interior.Et-6.666, MPH-102.48,60ft-1.454 *Footbrake & Shifting 6700*N/A
post #12 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 12:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
just a thought, I never do a burnout with street radials, just scuff them off. heating them doesn't really help imo

drive around and back up, wet tires, pull out and do 2nd gear burnout like someone else mentioned. skinnies or fat tires up front, I would avoid water on the fronts, no matter how small the tire you are still taking the chance of dripping water for your rears to roll over, also, wet fronts can push while doing the burnout.

1 bad Mustang, 2 slow Z28's, and a Sierra crewcab for the groceries.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Cool guys, thanks for the help. I can't wait.

1983 GT T-Tops (H.C.I.)

Vibrant Red 93 Cobra #615-SOLD

1966 Mustang Coupe
post #14 of 15 Old 07-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B0T View Post
radials, go around the water, do not back into it. stay away completely.

slicks and skinnies, pull through the water until your back tires are in, spin the tires to get them wet, pull up a few inches out of the water and proceed to do a 2nd gear burnout, release the break and roll out until the tires hook.

Mike
86 ascMcLaren Capri | [email protected]
86 Mustang SVO (9L) | [email protected]
www.mikemartinelli.com
post #15 of 15 Old 07-10-2009, 04:40 AM

When I ran at the track in ABQ a few years ago, there was still a lot of gravel up to and around the staging lanes. I would pull around the water, line up and give the tires a quick zing to get rid of any stones or gravel still in the treads. Maybe the track has changed in the past few years but I'm guessing they still dont do much maintenance on test and tune nights. They really needed to sweep up more.

I gotta tell you. A line lock brake is the bees-knees. Its almost too easy compared with the quick stickshift pedal shuffle I used to do. Even with slicks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement