side step and 2 step launch? what is this? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Question side step and 2 step launch? what is this?

I don't want to sound stupid but I have been reading about some of you with sticks side stepping or 2 step during launch, what is that? I have a stick and with slicks I was under the impression bring the rpms up and let the clutch fly. What don't I know?

88 LX under resto w/blower in future
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 04:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
The two step limts the rpm even with your foot to the floor. Check out MSD's site: http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...ducts/8739.pdf

X275 build in progress follow on Mustang Junkies.net

http://www.mustangjunkies.net/f9/project-dirty-red-444
post #3 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 05:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Side stepping is pretty much what it sounds like, it's not for everyone. You have to have your setup just right, a setup that will hook with such an agressive launch. Many people have to "learn" how to slip the clutch either to keep from blowing the tires off or getting around a bog situation. Using a "2 step" is a great tool for both standards and automatics. It's basically a dual stage rev limiter, usually the first setting at a lower rpm than the second. When activated ( alot of standard shift guys wire the switch into the clutch pedal) the unit limits the rpm to what ever limit chip you install, so you can sit at the starting line with the accelerator floored and maintain a steady "low" rpm for consistency on every launch. When the button/clutch is released the unit defaults to the second or "high" rpm limit for engine protection. Hope that makes sense.

91 notch, 408W, 10.5 comp, Jay Allen cam, Crane linkbars, Scorpion rockers, vic jr intake/heads, Canton pan, Mac longtubes, C4, UPR adj. uppers/lowers, Strange struts/shocks, subframe connectors, wild rides 6pt, Team Z k-member/anti-roll bar, MSD ignition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-06-2008, 07:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (57)
side stepping it literally putting your foot on the edge of the clutch pedal. and when she goes green (third yellow rather) letting the clutch violently pop itself. i think its very hard on the car when you do this though.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-07-2008, 11:40 PM
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator

Trader Feedback: (2)
2step is the best way to go. You can control launch RPM and create some consistency.

You can wire the 2step into a button on the steering wheel, some have the button on the shifter handle. Just need to learn how to let go of the button while you let off the clutch.

Go to www.nmraracing.com and watch some videos of Pure Street and Real Street and you will hear how the 2step works.

Also FYI I run a 2step on my C4, about 800 rpms under the stall of the converter to help the converter hit a little harder and to have some consistency.

Troy
1995 Mustang Cobra
347ci 10.52 @ 127.74 NA-Pump Gas (gone)
New Project in the works.
2009 F150 Lariat *tow truck*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsnk95 View Post
2step is the best way to go. You can control launch RPM and create some consistency.

You can wire the 2step into a button on the steering wheel, some have the button on the shifter handle. Just need to learn how to let go of the button while you let off the clutch.
And if you don't want to have to remember to let go of the button, an even better way is to wire the 2-step through the clutch pedal and a momentary switch (mine is on the steering wheel). When you light the second bulb, clutch foot to the floor, hit the switch and the two-step is activated. Let the clutch fly and the circuit is opened. MSD has a wiring diagram on their site.

2006 Vista Blue GT
13.74 @ 99.3
1986 Blue GT
11.708 @ 115.39 :: 1.54 60'
post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 10:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
You'll find a 2-step at work in this post. I have mine on the button on the shifter.

https://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1053480

86' GT, 414 windsor w/ Procomp heads.World Products dominator intake. Jerico DR4 w/Long vertigate shifter, Boninfante 10.5in clutch. Mini Tubbed. classicgearjammers.org
post #8 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 11:09 AM

Nice video, how did you do on that pass?

'66 fastback w/MegaSquirt II, MAF & EDIS, 5.0L 2k Exp, Fuel Safe, Total Control R&P, 4w Disk, T5z, Hyd Clutch and 8" 3.55
post #9 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06VistGT View Post
And if you don't want to have to remember to let go of the button, an even better way is to wire the 2-step through the clutch pedal and a momentary switch (mine is on the steering wheel). When you light the second bulb, clutch foot to the floor, hit the switch and the two-step is activated. Let the clutch fly and the circuit is opened. MSD has a wiring diagram on their site.
I looked on the MSD site but could not find it. Can you tell me where on the site. thanks

2007 Mustang ( wifes car)
2014 F150 ( daily driver )
1998 Mustang 11.53 114mph pro charged 3.8
1989 Mustang 10.82 124mph ( sons car )
post #10 of 10 Old 09-10-2008, 10:58 PM

http://www.msdignition.com/instructi...trols/8737.pdf

Look at the first diagram on the second page.

2006 Vista Blue GT
13.74 @ 99.3
1986 Blue GT
11.708 @ 115.39 :: 1.54 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement