96 Cobra Drag setup - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
96 Cobra Drag setup

I'm looking to setup a mild street/ aggressive strip type of suspension. I have a 96 GT that has been swapped with a DOHC 4.6. I would guesstimate the race weigh is around 3600lbs. I have a tubular k-member and a-arms already. Up front i am unsure of what spring to use. I was think a 14" 150# hypercoil with strange adjustable struts. In the rear i planned on using a UPR anti-Roll bar with a set of Eibach drag launch springs accompianed by a set of UPR pro-series double adjustable uppers with Southsides for lowers. Dampening the force's in the rear would be a set of strange adjustable shocks. Does anybody see anything wrong with this combo?

96 GT- Complete 4v swap, 4.10's
93 GT- Traded
97 F150-PI swapped.

Last edited by Fastfox400; 08-04-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfox400 View Post
I'm looking to setup a mild street/ aggressive strip type of suspension. I have a 96 GT that has been swapped with a DOHC 4.6. I would guesstimate the race weigh is around 3600lbs. I have a tubular k-member and a-arms already. Up front i am unsure of what spring to use. I was think a 14" 150# hypercoil with strange adjustable struts. In the rear i planned on using a UPR anti-Roll bar with a set of Eibach drag launch springs accompianed by a set of UPR pro-series double adjustable uppers with Southsides for lowers. Dampening the force's in the rear would be a set of strange adjustable shocks. Does anybody see anything wrong with this combo?
Are you fat?

Race weight should be nowhere near 3600lbs.

Your plans sound pretty good. Everyone has their own opinions of what works better. I have what you listed on the front...except 90/10's instead of strange.

In the rear I have maximum motorsports coilovers, 50/50shocks, Steeda adjuastable uppers, upr solid lowers, no sway bar......my car launches almost perfect....

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m...nton12s004.flv

At bradenton before I made any suspension adjustments....(btw..4V with bolt-ons) n/a

2015 S550 GT - 2.3 TVS Powered on 17" Radials
Stock Trans / Stock Converter / 1.28 Sixties
[email protected] Boost --- ([email protected] Boost/Spray)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 PM

Oh and...go with 4.56's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

I've ran 90/10's before an didnt like how quickly the nose would rise an fall. I had unloading issue in a 93 around the 60' an would blow the tires away.

93 GT- Traded
97 F150-PI swapped.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM

So it was just due to the struts huh? Spring rates, weight, and rear suspension had nothing to do with it?

Non-adjustable struts do not work the same on every set-up.

post #6 of 9 Old 08-05-2008, 08:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
i have the same setup except the rear lowers and i cut 1.4 60s
post #7 of 9 Old 08-05-2008, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99AtlBluGT View Post
So it was just due to the struts huh? Spring rates, weight, and rear suspension had nothing to do with it?

Non-adjustable struts do not work the same on every set-up.
I changed struts. I went to a Strange adjustable and was able to bring the 60's down to 1.5's and it quitly blowing the tires off at the 60' ft mark.

93 GT- Traded
97 F150-PI swapped.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-06-2008, 05:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (37)
Adam, if you're going with some weight reduction off the front you can run 150's. If no weight reduction then I'd stay with 175's. I noticed with my 175's it didn't transfer as much weight as I wanted to I swapped to 150's. Everything else looks good. Oh don't forget to disconnect the anti roll bar on the street or you'll end up replacing it. -Mark

98 red cobra (N/A 5.4)
[email protected] (1.59 60')
post #9 of 9 Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemark46 View Post
Adam, if you're going with some weight reduction off the front you can run 150's. If no weight reduction then I'd stay with 175's. I noticed with my 175's it didn't transfer as much weight as I wanted to I swapped to 150's. Everything else looks good. Oh don't forget to disconnect the anti roll bar on the street or you'll end up replacing it. -Mark
Thanks Mark.

Currently all that has been done up front is a Fiberglass hood from Kanaen, and a full tubular front suspension. Today I got some more thing accomplished. I swapped the Cobra front brakes in favor for GT/V6 from a 98. Even tho they are the same as the 96. I got the car back together with the tubular a-arms an a GMS coil-over kit that came with the car. I'm getting it ready to go over to a local shop for a 6 pt, harnesses, thru the floor sub frames, and Wild Rides torque box reinforcements. Then it comes back to recieve the UPR Pro-series rear kit with sperical bushings, UPR front coil-overs, Strange Struts, Skinny Kid race cars cast/camber plates, an Strange rear adjustable.

P.S. I want a short runner..............................

93 GT- Traded
97 F150-PI swapped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement