Why do they delay once they get a green? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 08-04-2008, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Why do they delay once they get a green?

I've never dragged at a track before, but I like watching videos of it.

I can't seem to figure out why some cars just sit at the line once the green is lit for about 1/2 a second before going.

Here's a video (not of a mustang, but the idea is the same):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IOpuGVoyCk

It's most evident at 1:30. The light goes green, and he just sits there for a long time before going. But, he still has a great time.

Is there some sort of racing where the time is measured off of when the car stars moving? I can't see him doing it accidentally, but why would you do it on purpose?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Hey, I just figured it out!

For those curious, your ET doesn't start until you break the beam. So, I'm assuming they just wanted to make sure they didn't redlight.

post #3 of 26 Old 08-04-2008, 08:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (21)
They are just trying to get the launch down right I'd assume. I do it sometimes when trying new suspension setups or tires.

1986 Mustang GT
1984 Mustang SVO
-www.youtube.com/86zach-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
WORST THREAD EVAR!!!

In Loving Memory of Dave Bandt
11/19/69-3/23/08

1990 Mustang GT Ragtop
1992 Mustang GT Vortech Supercharged
1994 Mustang Cobra Vortech Supercharged
1995 Mustang GTS
1995 Mustang GT Ragtop
1995 Lightning 427 Windsor Procharger F2
2019 F150 3.5 Eco
post #5 of 26 Old 08-04-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
WORST THREAD EVAR!!!
post #6 of 26 Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (133)
I do it all the time....especially if there is a big motor car next to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
www.facebook.com/FoxBodyPerformance
post #7 of 26 Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Maybe a safety thing also if they are trying something new and not sure if it will run straight?

'93 Reef Blue Coupe--- In the process of a few upgrades!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Garage
Ok, I'm sorry. It was a question that should be answered.

FWIW, turbo cars sometimes like to "spool up" on the line and build boost. You seen GN's do it all the time.

And yes, the clocks do not start until you break the beams, hence "reaction time"

Is that better? (You know who you are Mr. PM COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT!)

11/19/69-3/23/08

1990 Mustang GT Ragtop
1995 Mustang GTS
1995 Mustang GT Ragtop
2019 F150 3.5 Eco
post #9 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 09:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
off topic: is it some sort of bragging rights to have a 8 second ride with NO safety equipment? I think it's irresponsible if you ask me.

2012 GB A6 GT
post #10 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBrontosaurus View Post
Hey, I just figured it out!

For those curious, your ET doesn't start until you break the beam. So, I'm assuming they just wanted to make sure they didn't redlight.
Actually the beam is broken already by the front tire....ET starts when the beam is reattached.

1966 Vert: Work in progress, 6-cyl to EFI 302, AOD, Coilovers.
1989 GT:Ford Stroker 347, S-trim,TFS CNC 205, RPM II, Dynamic C4, Megasquirt, Baseline rear, UPR front.
2015 GT, Auto, Premium Package, Whipple 2.9, Corsa Catback.
post #11 of 26 Old 08-05-2008, 11:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trkpny View Post
Actually the beam is broken already by the front tire....ET starts when the beam is reattached.
Edit: I'm dumb.

'95 GT - 351C 4v, 4.56s, C4

'85 LX coupe - 5.0 stock shortblock, E7 heads, T-5, 3.73s, performer rpm intake & 600cfm eddy carb - [email protected] 1.684 60' NA

Last edited by Ashentep; 08-08-2008 at 09:32 AM.
post #12 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 06:45 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I have sat there longer than that before. Your reaction time clock starts as soon as the green light hits, your et clock doesn't start until you break the 3rd set of lights.

New times coming soon.....
post #13 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trkpny View Post

Well, you're the closest to being right here.

1. You pull into the pre-stage, the pre-stage bulb lights.
2. You pull into the second (staged) beam, the "staged" bulb lights up and now the tree is set for start. If you "deep stage" you "reattach" the beam for the pre-stage light and it goes back off, BUT THE TIMER DOES NOT START YET.

It's when you roll out of the second (STAGED) beam that the timer starts to count. There is not a "third beam" as the last two said. Many a race has been lost by rolling out of the STAGED beam before the tree comes down...

11/19/69-3/23/08

1990 Mustang GT Ragtop
1995 Mustang GTS
1995 Mustang GT Ragtop
2019 F150 3.5 Eco
post #14 of 26 Old 08-06-2008, 05:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Well, you're the closest to being right here.

1. You pull into the pre-stage, the pre-stage bulb lights.
2. You pull into the second (staged) beam, the "staged" bulb lights up and now the tree is set for start. If you "deep stage" you "reattach" the beam for the pre-stage light and it goes back off, BUT THE TIMER DOES NOT START YET.

It's when you roll out of the second (STAGED) beam that the timer starts to count. There is not a "third beam" as the last two said. Many a race has been lost by rolling out of the STAGED beam before the tree comes down...
Thanks for agreeing with me.

1966 Vert: Work in progress, 6-cyl to EFI 302, AOD, Coilovers.
1989 GT:Ford Stroker 347, S-trim,TFS CNC 205, RPM II, Dynamic C4, Megasquirt, Baseline rear, UPR front.
2015 GT, Auto, Premium Package, Whipple 2.9, Corsa Catback.
post #15 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 09:31 AM

I apologize. I thought I knew the way the timing worked, but after reading Greg's reply I looked into it, and 1trkpny is correct.

'85 LX coupe - 5.0 stock shortblock, E7 heads, T-5, 3.73s, performer rpm intake & 600cfm eddy carb - [email protected] 1.684 60' NA
post #16 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 12:47 PM

The average person's reaction time is 3/4 of a second , this is not including the time it takes for the car to react . It takes practice to consistently have a good reaction time .That is why some guys when trying new setups , won't cut a real good lite they are more concerned with the way the set up works than how quick the reaction time is.
post #17 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 12:55 PM

[QUOTE]There is not a "third beam" as the last two said. Many a race has been lost by rolling out of the STAGED beam before the tree comes down...[QUOTE]

I think there are three beams at the starting line. If you watch nhra drag racing you will hear them talk all the time about the cars that roll in deep will lose some et because they have less of a rolling start before they trip the beam to start the timer. There is a third beam about a foot past the stage beams that may actually start the timer. Maybe not all tracks use the same timing system as the tracks that hold national events. But I have several pictures of cars on the starting line that shows the timing box with 3 holes in it. If not what is the third beam for at some tracks?

Last edited by runum50; 08-08-2008 at 01:06 PM.
post #18 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 01:07 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Lifted directly from the NHRA site.

"Two light beams cross the starting-line area and connect to trackside photocells, which are wired to the Christmas Tree and electronic timers in the control tower. When the front tires of a vehicle break the first light beam, called the prestage beam, the pre-stage light on the Christmas Tree indicates that the racer is approximately seven inches from the starting line.

When the racer rolls forward into the stage beam, the front tires are positioned exactly on the starting line and the stage bulb is lit on the Tree, which indicates that the vehicle is ready to race. When both vehicles are fully staged, the starter will activate the Tree, and each driver will focus on the three large amber lights on his or her side of the Tree.

Depending on the type of racing, all three large amber lights will flash simultaneously, followed four-tenths of a second later by the green light (called a Pro Tree), or the three bulbs will flash consecutively five-tenths of a second apart, followed five-tenths later by the green light (called a Sportsman, or full, Tree).

Two Separate performances are monitored for each run: elapsed time and speed. Upon leaving the staging beams, each vehicle activates an elapsed-time clock, which is stopped when that vehicle reaches the finish line."

There are only 2 beams.

91 LX, 393, Jerico DR4. Best time so far [email protected]

Old combo:GT 40p heads, Cobra intake, stock cam and bottom end,4.30's
Runs 12.00's @112+
post #19 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runum50 View Post
But I have several pictures of cars on the starting line that shows the timing box with 3 holes in it. If not what is the third beam for at some tracks?
All the local 1/8 tracks have the 3rd hole in the box. Thats what I was basing my opinion on, but everything I've read says there are only two used for the timing system.

:shrug: I would love to know what the 3rd hole is for.

post #20 of 26 Old 08-08-2008, 04:01 PM

The third beam is called the "Guard Beam" I just found this online

"Some tracks also use a third infrared beam. Called a guard beam, its job is to prevent a racer from gaining an unfair advantage from a part hanging under or in front of the car (like an oil pan or spoiler) blocking both the guard and stage beams. That could give a racer a rolling start before the elasped time (ET) clock starts, reducing his ET. If the guard beam is activated while the stage beam is still on, the red foul light is triggered, disqualifying the offending racer."
post #21 of 26 Old 08-09-2008, 10:33 AM

If this was the case a semi Truck would red lite every time because there role out is two far . There is only two beems on a NHRA track I race every weekend and walk thruogh the beems all the time . I have also seem the photo cells with the cover off. You may be talking about Ricer races the could have a differant setup.
post #22 of 26 Old 08-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I guess I was wrong.

New times coming soon.....
post #23 of 26 Old 08-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runum50 View Post
"Some tracks also use a third infrared beam...
That makes sense to me. I have a friend with an EVO 8 which has an air dam low enough to trip the beams. He redlights almost everytime. We were thinking he was rolling just enough, but maybe the guard beam was catching his air dam.

I just reviewed pics from all the different tracks I've ran at, or taken pictures at, and they've all got the 3rd, guard beam. Rockingham and VA Motorsports park 1/4 tracks are included in that list.

post #24 of 26 Old 08-17-2008, 08:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (31)
Quote:
FWIW, turbo cars sometimes like to "spool up" on the line and build boost. You seen GN's do it all the time.
Exactly !! He is on the 2 step building boost.

I like to make sure Im staged and ready FIRST, that way as soon as the car in the other lane stages, I can just sit on the 2 step. IF I get it just right I can go on the 3rd yellow like normal and still have 8psi. IF I dont get on the 2step fast enough I either have to launch with less boost or wait a sec after green to go.

FWIW ?? I know most of the others but not that one lol lol

NEVER do business with Sam Rivera AKA Sam Wilson.
post #25 of 26 Old 08-17-2008, 01:18 PM

if it is a turbo car, then he needs to build up pressure by preloading before he leaves.. in this aspect, it is a "time only' type of qualifier where the reaction time off the light does not matter... aslo related is many do this because they can
mentally be more "ready" so they leave when they "feel" comfortable,..once again, pure ET is what matters to qualify on a ladded... I have done this many times.
obviously if it is a RACE / eliminations run, and he waits a long time, and the opponent leaves on him, then the "late' car in a "heads up" race will have to over come his opponent, have a better / faster ET to get to finish line first.

if the O.P. was watching a eliminations run / paring,...and there was a "handicapped start", then the tree would have come down differently for one car than the other...but both cars should cross finish line together.

I have gone down the road that you are only now about to travel.
tires are the great equalizer
a degree wheel, EIGHT INCH dial caliper & adjustable pushrods should be just as normal as a 1/2" wrench in your toolbox
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
post #26 of 26 Old 08-24-2008, 12:28 PM

on this situation, he was setting his boost to launch, thats why he was sooooo late on the reaction times. Where was he at? This guy is really stupid. running 8s with no chute, no cage, and barely a helmet and his stock seat belts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement