Rear suspension locking up? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (7)
Rear suspension locking up?

this actually happened a few weeks ago but i didnt post it here and im looking for some idea's/opinions...thanks!!!

wtf....again after 8 hours of messing with it..go to the track 3 passes and it locks up again.

short story...could not get the suspension to work and I didnt know why the car wa so stiff. been going to the track myself but finally went and a friend watched the car and said it was way to bouncy off the line. so I bring it home and toss the axle on stands and i have ZERO suspension travel...like the axle is welded to the frame. all I was using was tire flex for suspension..lol

so I took the entire rearend apart and put it back together per the directions again and it worked. adjusted the shocks and it worked! so went to the track yesterday and started messing with the settings. made a couple passes with similar results at 1.50 short times. Eric watched the car and said it was coming back up to quick in the rear. so I tightened the rebound a few clicks juimped back in the car and it felt bouncy. pushed on the rear end and no travel again.

both times the upper control arms have been locked up, no free movement, when I went under the car. Even had a couple people say they looked funny. On my ride home I thought of something though....my uppers, lowers AND coil overs are spherical bearings.....what is keeping this rear end from moving side to side?? as it sits right now the rear is 1/2" or so to the driver's side and if its not my imagination....its MORE than what it was aat the start of yesterday.

but under the car...the lowers are moveable on the spherical bearings....the anti roll bar downlinks are moveable...but the uppers are locked up. check the pics

Silver '03 Cobra Coupe Auto
[email protected] w/ a 1.35 - Stock motor, Eaton, n2o
8.78 @ 152 - L&M Teksid, TVS @ 20PSI
8.33 @ 163 - L&M Teksid, Whipple 4.0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 08:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
in the second pic it looks like the arm is to short causing it to bind up on the mount. plus the arms look like they are at different angles. do you have a track locator? rear ends does not look centered.

2000 GT aka S2000
*NA 347* - TFS Street Heat Heads, T&D Shaft Rockers, Comp Cams Solid Roller, Super Vic Intake, Holley 950
Kooks SS 2" headers, 3.5" Dr.Gas X-pipe, 3.5" Magnaflow mufflers, TKO 600, Built 8.8, 4.88 gears, 26X10's
9.78 @ 138.88 w/1.38 60' - Still working on it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Trader Feedback: (8)
I agree that the rear doesn't look centered not sure why but if there isn't any suspension movement then the shocks may be locked up which is common. When this happens do NOT raise the car at all (this resets the shocks and suspension) but instead disconnect the lower shock bolts then bounce on the rear of the car and see if it moves. If it does then it's the shocks..

ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
In the pics you have of the uppers, it looks like the arm in the first pic is longer than the other. I know that you can set preload and all by doing that, but one upper being longer than the other would move the rear end to one side, and it looks like it is causing the arm in the second pic to bind.

Ohh, and the rear doesnt move side to side due to the angles of the uppers. In order for it to move side to side, one of the oppisite side arms would have to come loose.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. -
Thomas Jefferson
post #5 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevnut View Post
in the second pic it looks like the arm is to short causing it to bind up on the mount. plus the arms look like they are at different angles. do you have a track locator? rear ends does not look centered.
it would appear that way but like i said...i removed everything and put it all back in per instructions. all arms i measured twice and layed them next to each other. i assure you the uppers are the same length

and no track bar....didnt pull that plug as i didnt know if it would even help

post #6 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN RCKT View Post
In the pics you have of the uppers, it looks like the arm in the first pic is longer than the other. I know that you can set preload and all by doing that, but one upper being longer than the other would move the rear end to one side, and it looks like it is causing the arm in the second pic to bind.

Ohh, and the rear doesnt move side to side due to the angles of the uppers. In order for it to move side to side, one of the oppisite side arms would have to come loose.
and that one lil arm binding would hold up the whole rear? like i said above...everything is stock length and both sides the same.

post #7 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 08:55 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Doesn't seem like it would. Have you checked the shocks yet, like Kevin suggested?

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. -
Thomas Jefferson
post #8 of 13 Old 08-02-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FN RCKT View Post
Doesn't seem like it would. Have you checked the shocks yet, like Kevin suggested?
not in that manner. i got home and ripped it all apart again.

i called Varishock and they said they have never had a case of shocks locking up but would be happy to rebuild them for a pretty penny of course.

ive been pulled in a few directions on this...

-get a track bar
-shocks are locking up
-remove the upper relocation bracket and use regular uppers

prob gonna start with the track bar as its the cheapest alternative right now and i need that car in 2 weeks. if it locks up again i will undo the lower shock mounts and see what happens i guess. they are coil overs so it might be tough with all the cars weight on there.

post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I would start with checking the shocks as its free.

New times coming soon.....
post #10 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88OrangeLX View Post
I would start with checking the shocks as its free.
that will be 2nd as im sure they are going to want hundreds for a rebuild. i ordered the track bar and will get it in for the weekend of the 16th for racing.

post #11 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 07:34 PM

once u take it apart and put it back together is the rear square in the car again?

2000 GT aka S2000
*NA 347* - TFS Street Heat Heads, T&D Shaft Rockers, Comp Cams Solid Roller, Super Vic Intake, Holley 950
Kooks SS 2" headers, 3.5" Dr.Gas X-pipe, 3.5" Magnaflow mufflers, TKO 600, Built 8.8, 4.88 gears, 26X10's
post #12 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevnut View Post
once u take it apart and put it back together is the rear square in the car again?
yea..i think i said it before.

the rear deff moved to the driver's side from when i re-installed it to after i made a few passes. id say an inch or so. i visually looked at it several times as i thought it was off when i took it apart.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-03-2008, 07:46 PM

ok, my bad just askin

2000 GT aka S2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement