31 spline T-lok Strength - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 07-10-2008, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
31 spline T-lok Strength

I am still running my stock 28 spline t-lok and stock axles. I blew out my spider gears a few years back but I just replaced them with spiders from a donor carrier, rebuilt the clutch pack adding the extra friction plate, and put it back together. It has been holding up until last week when I heard some loud clicking when I was about to get on the return road after a pass. I haven't taken the dif cover off yet to inspect, but I am thinking it might be the spider gears again. I am thrown though because after rolling the car another 20 feet the noise went away. I drove it home and everything sounded good.

Anyway, I don't just want to repair it this time I want to upgrade to a 31 spline setup. I am looking at the 31 spline trac-lok with the carbon fiber clutches and the superior axle kit. Are the spiders in the 31 spline unit stronger than the ones in the 28 spline carrier?

Will it handle 500rwhp and 1.57 60ft times in a 3350lb car with 3.55 gears? I will be running 430rwhp on Nittos most of the time to keep the car over 11.50 since I don't have a cage, but I would like to put my ET Streets back on and swap out my 3.6" pulley for my 3.33 or 2.95 and go for a high 10. This will only happen once or twice until I get a cage, which will still be a few years out.

I don't want a spool. The car is driven to and from the track and I like to go around corners as well.

Thanks,
Craig

1993 LX HB, Dart big bore 347, Ported Cobra Intake, 70mm TB, Edlelbrock 6037s, FTI custom emission friendly blower cam, 60lb inj, Bullet MAF, Vortech SQ Trim, TKO500, JBA Shorties, 3.55's, and Tweecer R/T
10.84 @ 128.5mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
I've had really good luck with the Ford Trac-lok in applications like that. Your mileage may vary, but its worked for me.

I would go for the regular clutches if I were you.

Additionally, Royal Purple oil already contains diff additive, and doesn't smell anywhere near as bad as the Ford stuff.

Steve

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
post #3 of 12 Old 07-10-2008, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Other than cost of the rebuild kit, why would you go with the regular clutches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (33)
I use a 31 spline track lock in my car. 28x10.5 ET Drag, 1.49 60-foot, leaving the line at 7,000 rpm.

It seems to be holding up well. It's been packed with extra clutches. Be warned though, if the diff isn't packed tight it WILL break.

1987 Saleen clone: 358cid, FoxLake Vic Jr's, Victor 5.0, YSi, etc, etc, etc
809rwhp on pump gas + meth injection
"Just turn the boost up.....it's only air."
post #5 of 12 Old 07-10-2008, 06:29 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
The carbon fiber stuff seems to be having some chatter problems.

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
C clip elims should be on the list also I have the 31 spline diff and so far no issues yes.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
i will be running this same setup in my 98... 31 spline T-lok with Superiors. If i break the t-lok than Eaton/Detriot it is... but i hope i can just survive with this.

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2008, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tireburner163 View Post
I use a 31 spline track lock in my car. 28x10.5 ET Drag, 1.49 60-foot, leaving the line at 7,000 rpm.

It seems to be holding up well. It's been packed with extra clutches. Be warned though, if the diff isn't packed tight it WILL break.
I think that is why my original spiders broke in my 28 spline. I knew it needed to be rebuilt because it was 1-legging pretty easily. When I took it apart, some of the clutch plates didn't have any material left on them. This is also why I want the more robust carbon fiber plates. I was going to run it as it comes at first and then add the extra clutches when the time comes for a rebuild.

I have mine packed super tight with the extra clutches right now. It was really hard to get the pin in because it is so tight, which is why I don't think my spiders went this time. I am thinking that I might still have some debris in there that got kicked up into the gears and then spit back out. I thought I heard the loud clicking before I started turning. Also, I heard this noise once before over 100 passes ago. I was only doing about 20mph and stopped immediately. I rolled backwards and looked under the car and couldn't see anything wrong. I fired it back up and the noise was gone.

I am going to be very nervous if I don't see anything wrong when I take the cover off.

Thanks for the info guys.

1993 LX HB, Dart big bore 347, Ported Cobra Intake, 70mm TB, Edlelbrock 6037s, FTI custom emission friendly blower cam, 60lb inj, Bullet MAF, Vortech SQ Trim, TKO500, JBA Shorties, 3.55's, and Tweecer R/T
10.84 @ 128.5mph
post #9 of 12 Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The 31spl t-loc has a larger pin and spiders. Side by side everything looks beefier. I saw a thread on TM.com and most of the broken ones were the early ones with small ears on the clutches. The later ones use bigger ears and they are visible with the diff assembled.

'67 coupe, blow-thru 351w S475, C4/C5, 8.8 6.38 at 110, 9.99 at 135
post #10 of 12 Old 07-12-2008, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Well, I took the dif cover off last night and everything looks good. I don't know what the hell that noise was. I will pull the axles today and see if I can see anything there. It looks like I will just be putting it back together and keeping my fingers crossed for a while longer. I figure that the 28 spline stuff should be strong enough for my current 8psi of boost setup which is about 430rwhp and Nittos running 11.50's @ 120mph with a best 60ft of 1.70.

I just wish I knew what was causing that noise!!

post #11 of 12 Old 07-16-2008, 05:17 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I haven't had any experiance with the 8.8" 28 and 31 splines , I found that the 9" 28 spline diff is just as durable as the 31 spline if you have the dual cross shaft with 4 spider gears, a single cross shaft 31 spline is no stronger than a 28 spline . The 28 spline will brake axels under extream conditions but the 31 will strip the splines off the axels . Larger Axels are manditory if you want trouble free passes .
post #12 of 12 Old 07-16-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

I will upgrade to 31 spline stuff in the future, but for now I just put it all back together. I don't know what caused my noise, but I did see that the splines were twisting on the driver's side axle. I had a spare stock axle so I put that one in. I hope it is as strong as the ones I was using.

Last edited by Need-a-cage; 07-16-2008 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement