Is this stupid or what? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 07-06-2008, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Is this stupid or what?

The local dragstrips around here run what they call a "5.70" class for the 1/8 mile. Basically, it's an index class where everyone is limited to a 5.70 in the 1/8. One of their rules limits tire size to no wider than 10.5". No W's or anything like that. Now, get this. They won't allow anything wider than a 10" wide wheel. Is this retarded or what? If you use a 10" wide wheel with 10" or 10.5" wide slicks, you only get around 8" of rubber on the ground. They don't want the racers to have the extra advantage of the full tread width. If that's the case, why don't they just limit all cars to an 8" wide slick instead of 10.5"?

1969 fastback street car project underway.

Beware of leftist/liberals/democrats posing as Americans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-06-2008, 10:22 PM

Most of the tracks around here you are talking about that run the 5.70 classes are true stock suspension classes. Thats the reason for the 10 inch wheel. Anything wider(on mustangs) require aftermarket coil overs.

Hester Performance, LLC
92 GT
80 Malibu
85 Regal
post #3 of 21 Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (28)
B.S. I am running a smaller M&H 27x10 tire on a 15x10 wheel and the tread width on the tire when on the car measures 10.5"

91GT
8.90 @ 150 mph NA
1.22 60ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 01:07 AM

I can't relate to this........I have a tread width of 7.5.

It's Old....Not Slow.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 09:32 AM

I didnt comment on the tread width thing but i think thats B.S. too. Because Suggested Rim Sizes for 3 popular tire manufacturers are:
Mickey Thompson;28x10.5/29.5x10.5 and Ws is 10.0 inch
Goodyear;28x10/29x10 is 9.0-11.0 30x10 is 8.0-10.0
Hoosier;28x10/28x10.5/29x10.5W/30x10.5 is 8.0-10.0 29.5x10.5 is 10.0-12.0

Hester Performance, LLC
92 GT
80 Malibu
85 Regal
post #6 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow GT View Post
Most of the tracks around here you are talking about that run the 5.70 classes are true stock suspension classes.
They are supposed to be true stock suspension classes. Hardly the case. True stock suspension means just that, completetly stock with not so much as even a traction bar added. Most all of them have some type of bolt on suspension upgrade, and I have even seen some with mini tubs and 4 links.

Quote:
Thats the reason for the 10 inch wheel. Anything wider(on mustangs) require aftermarket coil overs.
Not necessarily. You could use 12" wide wheels on a mustang with enough back spacing on the wheel. Say, around 5 1/2 to 6". It wouldn't be pretty but it would work.

Personally, I think it was a dumb rule made to appease some whiner whose only excuse for losing was the other guy had 12" wheels.

post #7 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91blown5oh View Post
B.S. I am running a smaller M&H 27x10 tire on a 15x10 wheel and the tread width on the tire when on the car measures 10.5"
The only BS here is this comment. You go do a burnout with a 10'' tire on a 10'' rim and stop and look at the marks it left on the tread of the tire. It won't be the full 10 inches. There will be an inch or so of tread on each side of the tire that didn't get used. I have verified this happening on my own car plus several others. The only way to stop this is to put a 10'' tire on a 12'' wheel so it will bow the sidewalls out wider than the tread putting the full tread width on the ground. And before you say the reason it only used the center 8'' or so is because the wheel speed made the tire grow, I have verified that no matter how fast or slow of a wheel speed you use during the burnout the result is the same. The whole tread is not used.

88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit
nonstroked, stock iron heads and NO NITROUS!!!!!!!!
[email protected] / [email protected] (1/8th)

Last edited by All Cleveland; 07-07-2008 at 07:39 PM.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Most of the tracks around here you are talking about that run the 5.70 classes are true stock suspension classes. Thats the reason for the 10 inch wheel.
The funny point of that is ain't possible to run a 5.70 with on a car with truly and completely stock suspension that has had absolutely no parts changed to an aftermarket part of any kind and a 10'' tire. Another funny thing is you can believe this rule was invented by someone driving a chevy.

88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit

Last edited by All Cleveland; 07-07-2008 at 07:47 PM.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 07:50 PM

It depends on what they call stock suspension . They call the adjustable suspensions stock they are allowed in the NHRA stock classes . Even the lift bars by Lakewood are stock class legal
post #10 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 10:39 PM

True Stock Suspension means everything bolts in stock locations(MAINLY THE COIL OVER ISSUE IS THE PROBLEM)! And most of these rules where creating by the guys running mustangs. I changed from 29.5x10.5s to 28x10s to run these classes because one of the races at Montgomery last year was limited to 28inch tall tires. So i suggest change to the rules or find another class!!!

Hester Performance, LLC
92 GT
80 Malibu
85 Regal

Last edited by slow GT; 07-07-2008 at 10:45 PM.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-07-2008, 10:41 PM

And another thing ive never seen anyone run true stock suspension(around here) with 12 inch wheels. 10 inch with 6 1/2 BS is the most ive seen.

Hester Performance, LLC
92 GT
80 Malibu
85 Regal
post #12 of 21 Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 AM

Point is they're saying you can't have 12'' wheels just because some dumbass says they don't want them in the class. It would be different if they said you can run 12'' wheels as long as you keep the suspension within the "stock" rules.

post #13 of 21 Old 07-08-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
True Stock Suspension means everything bolts in stock locations(MAINLY THE COIL OVER ISSUE IS THE PROBLEM)!
This what I say it's supposed to mean too.

Quote:
And most of these rules where creating by the guys running mustangs.
I'll be damned if that's so. ALL of the rules are made by some chevy boy to try to keep a mustang from winning.

Quote:
I changed from 29.5x10.5s to 28x10s to run these classes because one of the races at Montgomery last year was limited to 28inch tall tires.
Several years ago Maurel Adams had a mustang with wider than 10.5'' tires and was dominating a certain class they were running locally around here. He was pretty much the only ford that had a chance at winning at the time. He shows up to run again only to find out they've changed the rules to a 10'' or 10.5'' tire without telling anybody (everybody else had this size tire anyway but him). They wouldn't let him run. He shows up at the next race with something like 29.5 X 10-10.5'' tires and then they tell him he still can't run because the height limit was 28''. Of course nobody knew this either until he shows up. I can't remember the class or what track this happened at but just like all of these classes around here, there was pretty much nothing but chevys in it for the most part. Moral of this story, start winning all the time with a ford in a class that has mostly chevys in it and the rules will get changed to get rid of you. Again and again if necessary. Raceallday1 can verify this story and many more just like it.

Quote:
So i suggest change to the rules or find another class!!!
I guess if you stay at it long enough you can make them change the rules in all the classes huh.

post #14 of 21 Old 07-08-2008, 11:52 AM

Go to a stock suspension race and i bet you 98% of the cars at it are mustangs, at the most it will have 2-3 chevys running it. And we can talk this crap all day long but ive found out just like everyone else rules change for the whiners more than for the winners. And i remember that with Maurel Adams.

Hester Performance, LLC
92 GT
80 Malibu
85 Regal
post #15 of 21 Old 07-08-2008, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Cleveland View Post
Point is they're saying you can't have 12'' wheels just because some dumbass says they don't want them in the class. It would be different if they said you can run 12'' wheels as long as you keep the suspension within the "stock" rules.
This is exactly right, personally i dont care as long as it is "stock suspension."

Hester Performance, LLC
92 GT
80 Malibu
85 Regal
post #16 of 21 Old 07-08-2008, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Well, it really doesn't matter much anyway. They don't enforce anything. I guarantee I could enter that class with a 12" wide wheel and they would never know until I won a few races. Then, the bitching would start. Of course all I would have to do is point to a guy with a 4 link, ladder bars, or mini tubs.

Racing around here is a joke unless you have the big dollars to follow ORSCA. Anything else is pretty much a big "Freak Nic" or some other BS that is horribly managed. Hell, it would take all day just to run one class!

I hope one day they bring back the "class racing" like the old schoolers raced in. Heads up, snd no breakouts. Make rules for a certain class and enforce them to the max. You have so much as a nitrous decal on your car and you want to run in the no nitrous class? Too bad. Load it up, or peel off the sticker. That's the way it should be.

post #17 of 21 Old 07-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Go to a stock suspension race and i bet you 98% of the cars at it are mustangs, at the most it will have 2-3 chevys running it.
Not at cottonwood, mmp, pike co. or barbour co. it won't be. I've been to several of these races and they are not mostly mustangs. They are mostly chevys and a few mustangs. Where I am this is chevy country. In my immediate area (between montgomery and dothan) there isn't enough mustangs for anything to be mostly mustangs. Hell every time I've ever taken my car to the track I was one of the few mustangs there and especially one that actually had a ford motor in it.

Quote:
And we can talk this crap all day long but ive found out just like everyone else rules change for the whiners more than for the winners. And i remember that with Maurel Adams.
This is only true if the majority of the cars there are the same brand the whiner has which will always be a chevy. You can believe there has never been a rule changed because Maurel wanted it changed.

post #18 of 21 Old 07-08-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raceallday1 View Post
Well, it really doesn't matter much anyway. They don't enforce anything. I guarantee I could enter that class with a 12" wide wheel and they would never know until I won a few races. Then, the bitching would start. Of course all I would have to do is point to a guy with a 4 link, ladder bars, or mini tubs.
You know you would never get away with it with a ford. You'd never make it to the starting line before every chevy boy there would point out you had 12'' wheels. And when you point the same person bitching about your car has a 4 link and minitubs with 14'' wheels on his chevy, there would be some reason why he could run but you couldn't. Something like "well you can have a 4 link and minitubs as long as you have 14'' wheels". When you come back next week with that setup, the rules would have magically changed to include something else only you have on your ford but the chevy guys don't have just like what happened to Maurel. Welcome to drag racing in southern chevy country.

Quote:
Racing around here is a joke unless you have the big dollars to follow ORSCA. Anything else is pretty much a big "Freak Nic" or some other BS that is horribly managed. Hell, it would take all day just to run one class!
cough cough Darryl E cough cough.

Quote:
I hope one day they bring back the "class racing" like the old schoolers raced in. Heads up, snd no breakouts. Make rules for a certain class and enforce them to the max. You have so much as a nitrous decal on your car and you want to run in the no nitrous class? Too bad. Load it up, or peel off the sticker. That's the way it should be.
You know this will never happen around here. Too many chevy buddies and every chevy at the track has a bottle on it or three just to run the 7.0 class.

post #19 of 21 Old 07-09-2008, 11:27 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
True Stock Suspension means everything bolts in stock locations(MAINLY THE COIL OVER ISSUE IS THE PROBLEM)! And most of these rules where creating by the guys running mustangs. I changed from 29.5x10.5s to 28x10s to run these classes because one of the races at Montgomery last year was limited to 28inch tall tires. So i suggest change to the rules or find another class!!!
What about coilovers in the stock location? I have them and they pass for stock suspension classes. And when did Montgomery ever kick anyone ouut for 29.5"s. My buddy runs 33.5 w's in the 7.0 class alll the time there, ORSCA and last years TCI/comp cams series. Modified stret is the only class that limits you to a 28"
post #20 of 21 Old 07-13-2008, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95vert354 View Post
What about coilovers in the stock location? I have them and they pass for stock suspension classes. And when did Montgomery ever kick anyone ouut for 29.5"s. My buddy runs 33.5 w's in the 7.0 class alll the time there, ORSCA and last years TCI/comp cams series. Modified stret is the only class that limits you to a 28"
The local stock suspension classes that are run around here are limited to 28s 7.0 is not a stock suspension class only is it. And if the coil overs is in the stock location then its fine.

Hester Performance, LLC
92 GT
80 Malibu
85 Regal
post #21 of 21 Old 07-15-2008, 12:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
if you cant hook a 5.70 car with stock style suspension on a 10.5 inch slick on a 10 inch wheel you have alot of problems
Sponsored Links
Advertisement