NHRA Going to 1000ft for pro classes - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
NHRA Going to 1000ft for pro classes

NHRA announce that they are running the Funny Cars and Dragsters to the 1000ft starting in Denver. While they look into ways making the sport safer.
Do you guys think this will change back or is the 1/4 on its way out?

83 351w block .30 over
MSD 6AL, MSD Distributer #8584, Edelbrock PERFORMER RPM 2.02" INTAKE VALVES #60259, Comp cam #35-246-3 519 lift intake, 523 lift exhaust, 28in M/T slicks, Holly 750DP, Subframe connectors, Calvert complete rear pieces, 4.33 9in, hooker header, c4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 02:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
It will change back simply because the tracks don't want to decrease the amount of spectator space. That, and the history. All the records would be reset.

I am nothing more than a casual drag fan, but to me, it makes no sense to change it long term.

Rich
V8Mongrel.com - updated August 21
post #3 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 03:02 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
It does make sense. These tracks were made in the 60's for cars that could barely break 200. Now cars are going 1/3 faster and attempting to stop in the same distance. Also, most parts are torn up on those cars at or past the 1000 foot mark.

If they shorten the race track, they won't be traveling as fast and won't destroy as many parts. Making is safer for all and more cost evective for the racers. It will just be confusing for a while with the timing diff.

My old car:
1985 GT with T-tops. Sportsman based 342, AFR 205's into a Vic Jr. and a C&S Billet Aerosol 800 carb fed by a Novi 2K, MSD Digital 7531. Street tune is 582rwhp at 6500rpm . Tube K-member and arms. Built 8.8 with 9 inch ends. Cage and chassis work by DMC Racing. Tuning by SD Concepts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 03:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackstang View Post
It does make sense. These tracks were made in the 60's for cars that could barely break 200. Now cars are going 1/3 faster and attempting to stop in the same distance. Also, most parts are torn up on those cars at or past the 1000 foot mark.

If they shorten the race track, they won't be traveling as fast and won't destroy as many parts. Making is safer for all and more cost evective for the racers. It will just be confusing for a while with the timing diff.

I'm confused here.. A shorter race means les brakage?? it's a 4000 hp car. if something is going to let go it's going to let go no matter what.. to shorten it 300 feet for a funny car or top fuel is nothing more then an attempt to shush the people bitching that it's not a safe sport... equipting these cars with better fail safes is what is going to "possibly" save a racers life.. not shortening the race.. Scotts death was tragic, but those are the breaks so to speak.. they all know the dangers yet still get in the car.. So I doubt it's the racers wanting to shorten the races..

F'n Joey

Pain is weakness leaving your body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 PM

Agreed.

They are travelling at about 440feet/second through the traps...shortening it by 320 feet cuts their run short by about .7 seconds...if something is going to break it is still going to.

This is just temporary I hope till they have time to add longer shutdown areas and other safety features like sand pits and/or nets...NOT a friggin concrete barrier.

1990 GT Hatchback with BBK Shorty Headers, Mac O/R H-pipe, Magnaflows, MM SFC's, K&N Filter, MGW, Strange 10-ways, Griggs LCA's, FRPP UCA's, SC-Trim, SCT2400BA, 60lber's, Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit, 3.55's, Moser Axles, Weld Draglites MT ET Street Radials

2012 Boss 302 - Competition Orange
post #6 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 04:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
And now they'll turn up the wick and run what they run now in 1000'

308, AFRs, Systemax upper/truck lower, TKO 500, race gas
[email protected] NED (1/8th) 10/19/16 - 1.47 M/T Stiff wall slick
post #7 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM

All the cars should be about .7 seconds or so faster because its a shorter distance now, but that might not be true because they are all engineered and designed to go 1320 not 1000.

1990 GT Hatchback with BBK Shorty Headers, Mac O/R H-pipe, Magnaflows, MM SFC's, K&N Filter, MGW, Strange 10-ways, Griggs LCA's, FRPP UCA's, SC-Trim, SCT2400BA, 60lber's, Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit, 3.55's, Moser Axles, Weld Draglites MT ET Street Radials

post #8 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
Maybe the solution is not having a concrete wall where the cars can run into it?

If space is really at that kind of premium for a national event track, maybe they should only run 1/8 mile?

The track NHRA was racing at the week after had a big tree at the end of the shutdown area that someone almost hit.

IMO, those pro classes aren't even remotely interesting to watch anyways. It's like a Monster Truck event or something. Its neat that people can build "cars" that can do that, but if you've seen it once, you've seen it.

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
post #9 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 05:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak87 View Post
I'm confused here.. A shorter race means les brakage?? it's a 4000 hp car. if something is going to let go it's going to let go no matter what.. to shorten it 300 feet for a funny car or top fuel is nothing more then an attempt to shush the people bitching that it's not a safe sport... equipting these cars with better fail safes is what is going to "possibly" save a racers life.. not shortening the race.. Scotts death was tragic, but those are the breaks so to speak.. they all know the dangers yet still get in the car.. So I doubt it's the racers wanting to shorten the races..
it is proven that most of the damage that does happen to these engine does happen beyond the 1000' mark, it has been said time and time by drivers and crew cheifs. i wouldnt mind seeing them run 1/8 mile, b/c when you are crossing the 1/8th mile mark at 265mph you are only along for the ride that last 1/8 mile. less chance for a accident only running 1/8 mile and you still get the same thrill of going 0-265 in 3.5 sec.
post #10 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 06:12 PM

Trader Feedback: (34)
That extra 320 feet could mean a world of difference. Don't forget, these cars slow down almost as fast as they accelerate. That's just over a football field's length to help decelerate.

I kind of have a problem with people who keep talking about having a concrete "wall" or "barrier" at the end of the track. Alot of critics are making it sound like there's just a dragstrip and then a wall. That's not how E-town is though.

Realize that Englishtown has nearly a 1/2 mile shutdown, then a sandtrap, then a safety net. In 60 years of running, I'm not sure if anything has ever gone through all of those safety precautions. None of that stuff was designed to stop a 200+ MPH funny car. Scott Kalitta's death was tragic, but it was a freak thing. However, the bottom line is these tracks weren't designed for these speeds, and something has to be done, either to the track, or the cars.

03 Cobra- Hellion/Precision turbo. 770 RWHP through a TH400- 9.77 lifting at the 1,000 foot. No cage

Getting kicked out of a track near you!
post #11 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 06:21 PM

They can prove it all they want, cutting top fuel/funny cars down to 1000ft or 1/8 mile is not the answer.. The teams would lose on that deal, watch a top fuel car in the 1/8, it's a blip of the throttle, WOW how exciting.. come on man.. having better fail safes for the cars would be way better then cutting down the race length..

F'n Joey

post #12 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (30)
NHRA is gonna turn into NASCAR. its gonna make rule changes every single week, this and that. Its gonna be pure BS pretty soon, and its gonna suck. What ashame. Thats like having the NFL decrease the football fields to just 80 yards instead of 100. It just doesnt make any sense.
post #13 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
The danger is in the tracks, as noted these are old tracks, and there is not much in the way of stopping distance.

The 300 feet that is cut off the race is 300 feet of additional breaking and not to mention that the cars will not get up to the same speed they would in a 1/4 mile.

Either change the tracks, or change the distance. That is the real answer.

1993 Reef Blue Notch
Thumper E7's|Cobra Intake|Crane 2031|FMS 65mm TB|90MM LMAF|30# inj|190lph|3.55's|V3 SCi|Moates QH/BE/EA
post #14 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin41587 View Post
Thats like having the NFL decrease the football fields to just 80 yards instead of 100. It just doesnt make any sense.
I have yet to see a WR not slow down after the endzone and get killed.

Apples and Oranges, buddy; Apples and oranges.
post #15 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRFrider16 View Post
That extra 320 feet could mean a world of difference. Don't forget, these cars slow down almost as fast as they accelerate. That's just over a football field's length to help decelerate.

I kind of have a problem with people who keep talking about having a concrete "wall" or "barrier" at the end of the track. Alot of critics are making it sound like there's just a dragstrip and then a wall. That's not how E-town is though.

Realize that Englishtown has nearly a 1/2 mile shutdown, then a sandtrap, then a safety net. In 60 years of running, I'm not sure if anything has ever gone through all of those safety precautions. None of that stuff was designed to stop a 200+ MPH funny car. Scott Kalitta's death was tragic, but it was a freak thing. However, the bottom line is these tracks weren't designed for these speeds, and something has to be done, either to the track, or the cars.
Not to mention a boom truck which is what he reportedly hit. E-Town is old and needs to revamp. I've raced there, so I know.

1993 Reef Blue Notch
Thumper E7's|Cobra Intake|Crane 2031|FMS 65mm TB|90MM LMAF|30# inj|190lph|3.55's|V3 SCi|Moates QH/BE/EA
post #16 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchAbove View Post
Not to mention a boom truck which is what he reportedly hit. E-Town is old and needs to revamp. I've raced there, so I know.
what Etown can do is what Maple Grove does. have the slowdown area cut right throught the road thats behind it, and just have a spotter to shut down the road during every road. Thatll make the shut down area even longer.
post #17 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:32 PM

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
I dont think its the answer either... all forms of racing are very dangerous, but the people who drive understand that.

1000ft track is dumb IMO... its like a local track here thats only 600 ft instead of a true 1/8th. Ive yet to go there... even to watch.

1/4 mile or dont bother
change the car... not the race

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #18 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:34 PM

I still don't understand why the parachutes cannot be set of by remote when the car crosses the finish line. My garage door stops when someone crosses the beam. Why can't they tie that into the chute activation? That way the chutes always deploy.

Rich
post #19 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Mongrel View Post
I still don't understand why the parachutes cannot be set of by remote when the car crosses the finish line. My garage door stops when someone crosses the beam. Why can't they tie that into the chute activation? That way the chutes always deploy.
is that a joke? haha just wonderin dude. idk if that would work too well
post #20 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXguy View Post

IMO, those pro classes aren't even remotely interesting to watch anyways. It's like a Monster Truck event or something. Its neat that people can build "cars" that can do that, but if you've seen it once, you've seen it.
You must be a very boring person. How can you compare Monster Trucks to Top Fuel? They put out twice the horsepower, so there is NO comparison.

1966 Vert: Work in progress, 6-cyl to EFI 302, AOD, Coilovers.
1989 GT:Ford Stroker 347, S-trim,TFS CNC 205, RPM II, Dynamic C4, Megasquirt, Baseline rear, UPR front.
2015 GT, Auto, Premium Package, Whipple 2.9, Corsa Catback.
post #21 of 44 Old 07-03-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotchAbove View Post
E-town has a 1/2 mile of shut down.. there is no revamp needed, I've raced there many times.. there is more then enough shut down or else NHRA would not race there.

Quote:
what Etown can do is what Maple Grove does. have the slowdown area cut right throught the road thats behind it, and just have a spotter to shut down the road during every road. Thatll make the shut down area even longer.
No they can't.. to long to get into, but they can't.

Scott's chutes launched when the car blew up, the fire melted or did whatever to them to keep them from opening, if you watch the video's you can see that. In fact most if not all funny cars have a fail safe that if for whatever reason the body comes off, the chutes deploy. but when the chute don't open it isn't going to help. They need something that will apply the brakes in the even the driver can't.. Motor blows, the brakes go on, chute deploys.. Scott was knocked out when his engine exploded, there for he wasn't using the brakes, had he been, he would probably still be with us, and more then likely racing by now if not at least at the track..

Bottom line, make a fail safe, not shorten the race, you shorten the race, you kill racing..period.

F'n Joey

post #22 of 44 Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 AM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1trkpny View Post
You must be a very boring person. How can you compare Monster Trucks to Top Fuel? They put out twice the horsepower, so there is NO comparison.

I compare them for this reason: there's a Gee-whiz factor the first two times you see it, then its just like watching the same thing over and over and over again.

I love drag racing, but I like it more for the racing than just the speed. I also like it because I like CARS. There isn't anything Pro in the NHRA that can even remotely be called a car.

If they're worried about safety now, why don't they just take all the rules off of them and let them run the Top Fuel and Funny Cars by remote control?

The cars would be way faster, and there's no chance of anyone getting killed.

Problem solved.

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
post #23 of 44 Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (23)
Ghey. I don't think anybody that gets into Top Fuel thinks the sport is safe. Theres inherent risks associated with a 10,000 horsepowe car, thats why its fun and exciting for the fans and the crazy people that get into them. Turning it into a cozy safe enviroment just takes some of the thrill away. Whatever I guess I don't watch it that much anyway. A 9 second street Mustang or Camaro is just easier for me to relate to.

~Performance White 2013 GT M6
post #24 of 44 Old 07-04-2008, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin41587 View Post
is that a joke? haha just wonderin dude. idk if that would work too well
No, not a joke. If something happens to the driver, then the chutes still deploy. Why wouldn't that be a good thing? You pass the finish, the run is done. Just looking at the recent crash and think what might have helped.

Rich
post #25 of 44 Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 PM

His chutes deployed, they have a failsafe where if the body blows off the chutes deploy.

post #26 of 44 Old 07-05-2008, 12:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
The fuel needs less nitro and they need a way to stop then car if a driver becomes unconscious.
post #27 of 44 Old 07-05-2008, 01:29 AM

Trader Feedback: (24)
A 9 second street Mustang or Camaro is just easier for me to relate to.[/QUOTE]

Agreed,Funny cars "Batmobiles" appeal more to the gee wiz Monster truck crowd.Most of the guys on here would probaly much rather watch an
IHRA Pro Stock or ADRL race.Saying 1000ft. is too short is lame.Watch an ADRL 1/8th mile race.

'91 Hatch- SBF,N20,glide NMCA
post #28 of 44 Old 07-05-2008, 03:22 AM

I don't see how shortening the track to 1000 will hurt the racing for the pro nitro cars . The hard excelaration will still be there , this is much prefured to detuning the cars . If they are going to slow the cars down then they just as well drop the class. I would rather watch a Pro mod door slammer go fast than a top fueler go slow .
post #29 of 44 Old 07-05-2008, 02:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (39)
1,000 wont make it safer..!! NMRA needs to consider other safety areas first.

TOO_NUTS Racing
N/A- Pump Gas- 408 Clevor - [email protected]
Best 60ft on stock type suspension 1.28
UPR UCA/ Megabyte lowers/ stock anti roll bar. No battle boxes!
post #30 of 44 Old 07-05-2008, 04:10 PM

I was raised when most 1/4 mile strips were built, and remember watching Don Garlits TF/D run a record breaking 174 MPH. These cars are doing 2 times that, with the same shut down areas.

I think they need to look at doing like the IHRA does, and only have Alcohol Dragsters and Funny Cars. The chance of engines blowing up is drasticly reduced, speeds reduced to mid 200s, and a much safer car for 1/4 mile use. If they do not get rid of Nitromethane, they need to go even shorter than 1000 feet. 1/8 mile racing, would slow them down, and give at least 3/4 mile stopping on the present 1/4 mile tracks.

1993 T-Bird, 393 Stroker, Vortech YSi on E85
Lentech Strip Terminator & 4500 rpm stall converter, Detroit Locker with 3.55 gears
Front: 15x4, 165/80/15 , Rear:15x8, 275/50/15 MT Drag Radials
post #31 of 44 Old 07-05-2008, 04:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Rednotch View Post
And now they'll turn up the wick and run what they run now in 1000'
that is what will happen..just like when NHRA went to the 85% nitro rule..and they pulled timing out of the motor ..all to make them run slower..and what happened..the crew chief went nuts to find ways to make that power up and they did and new records where sit with those rules in places..if they go to the 1000ft mark ..they will come up with ways to put more power earlier and the so called disaster zone will be 1/8 mark

1962 falcon stock 1992 302 short block, RHS heads, 1.5 inch headers ..bullet cam ..victor jr.. [email protected] on 26x8.5 inch slicks with 1962 suspension(under construction getting back halved)

1979 zephyr , 393w, bone stock 1979 suspension on 26-8.5 tires [email protected]
post #32 of 44 Old 07-05-2008, 05:24 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Yeah and if they blow #### up at the 1000 ft mark...then the spectators become endangered again! I think they should run 1/4 at the tracks that can facilitate 1/4 passes and shutdowns safely and maybe 1/8 or 1000 ft races for the tracks that cannot (or to hell with the tracks that cant get their standards up to snuff). Look at Norwalk (or Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park), they cut down trees in that open area after the sand trap during the NATIONAL EVENT after Von Smith run his alky funny car into and past the sand trap....making it even safer!! Thats a track for ya!!!! But Norwalks shutdown is pretty damn short too I will admit. But it wasnt so much the length of the shutdown where Kalitta died that killed him....it was the fact he was unconsious as soon as the explosion occured...and the fact the freakin concrete wall wrapped around like that. And how fast was he still going?? 250+...his foot was probably still on the throttle partly or fully!! It was just the day God planned for him to pass on...and a reminder that these things can and will happen in this sport, and thats just it! Stuff happens for a reason. I mean what if we run 1/8 mile...a car blows up, and a fan gets injury or killed....then we are back to square one. So IMO...shutdowns just need to be longer, and if a track cant find the room to make it longer...shorten that race at that event or dont run there.

"Those who live life by the sword...get SHOT by those who don't!!"
post #33 of 44 Old 07-06-2008, 07:49 AM

E-town has a half mile of shut down, that is more then enough to shut these cars down, they prove that year after year.. the track could have had a mile shut down with the same results, it would not have mattered..

Shortening the race down to 1000 ft is a hush hush for the whiney babies.. shortening it to the 1/8 mile will cause more issues and I will GARUANTEE you, fan base will drop off for those races.. I for one do not care to watch ANY car do 1/8 mile.. I think it is pointless...

F'n Joey

post #34 of 44 Old 07-06-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0mustang5speed View Post
that is what will happen..just like when NHRA went to the 85% nitro rule..and they pulled timing out of the motor ..all to make them run slower..and what happened..the crew chief went nuts to find ways to make that power up and they did and new records where sit with those rules in places..if they go to the 1000ft mark ..they will come up with ways to put more power earlier and the so called disaster zone will be 1/8 mark
Cars will be running FASTER times now that they have put this rule into place.

post #35 of 44 Old 07-06-2008, 11:09 AM

I wonder how many crew chiefs are testing parts for these race lengths? If what everyone says is true and the cars blow past 1000 ft usually, then I would expect them to try and push the limits, counting on having less stress on components. And then, if NHRA goes back to the ¼ mile, all that time and money will have been wasted except for the points at those events.

This is like telling the NASCAR boys that they are going to run clockwise for a few weeks. Can you imagine the expense of that?

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement