first time out to the track with my 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (27)
first time out to the track with my 5.0

so i took the car out to the local 1/8th miles track tonight. im pretty pleased with the times. if i could have mustered a better 60' i would have dipped into the 8's.

car is a '91 gt with a typhoon upper/lower, E303 cam, CAI, full exhaust (bbk shorties, o/r H, and dumped flows), 3:73 gears, and a tremec 3550 with a Steeda Tri-axe on top. was running on street tires (mickey thompson sportsman S/R's) no burnout and street psi (30psi). was also florida, so temps were probably mid 80's and was raining all day so it was more dense.

best time slip of 3 passes was:
R/T - .178
60' - 2.22
330' - 6.13
1/8th ET - 9.26
1/8th MPH - 77.12

first pass was a 9.49 at 79 (spun i guess) and last pass was a 9.29 at 77.

im not looking to do any sticky tires or serious suspension mods for now as its my DD, so its 95% street driven anyway. i like going out there with the car exactly how it is when im driving it to work and such. just out there for fun, alot easier to spend $20 and do it out there than risk a wreckless driving ticket doing it out on the street.

any tips on getting the 60 down? i was sort of bringing the revs up to like 1500-2500 (not sure where, just blipping the throttle) and riding the clutch out quick then rolling into it hard. i figure next time out i can try raising my launch revs and riding the clutch out a little harder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-03-2008, 12:29 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Heat the hell out of those Sportsmans. Give them about a good 2nd gear 5-6 second burnout. Also, run about 20-22psi in them. Bring rpms to about 2800-3000, then let the clutch out somewhat slow(let it slip).(but not TOO slow) lol. I have seen many 1.9-2.0 short times with those.

Cory Swinerton
2013 Boss 302 #540 712rwhp/592rwtq (SOLD)
1999 GT 2V 775rwhp Ysi, Boss 304". (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX408 View Post
Running street tires at the track is like wiping your ass with a turd.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinerton View Post
Heat the hell out of those Sportsmans. Give them about a good 2nd gear 5-6 second burnout. Also, run about 20-22psi in them. Bring rpms to about 2800-3000, then let the clutch out somewhat slow(let it slip).(but not TOO slow) lol. I have seen many 1.9-2.0 short times with those.
are you talking about the old style sportsmans? these are the newer S/R's - have an actual tread pattern. once i feel like im used to the car i may trying dropping the pressure and heating em to go for my best pass. but i dont plan on doing it every pass as these things are $185 a piece and i want them to last for a while lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-03-2008, 09:21 PM

Trader Feedback: (15)
Yes, heat them up good. The hotter they are, the stickier they will get. It brings the tire temperature closer to the track temperature.

Cory Swinerton
2013 Boss 302 #540 712rwhp/592rwtq (SOLD)
1999 GT 2V 775rwhp Ysi, Boss 304". (SOLD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLX408 View Post
Running street tires at the track is like wiping your ass with a turd.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-03-2008, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

well apparently the car was either hooking hard, or my shifts were really hitting hard because my drivers side lower torque box is ripped all the way across, and my uppers have created a huge bulge inside the car. putting the car on a lift tomorrow morning to access the damage.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-04-2008, 07:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinerton View Post
x2

I have seen plenty of 1.9x with those tires . . .

You could also do a aluminum driveshaft on the cheap with a aerostar or mark VIII core.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-04-2008, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

are you guys talking about these?
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
those are what i have. they never seemed to be all that "grippy" but if i can cut under a 2.1 by heating them, ill try it next time out.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
If the TB are that torched your going to need a Stang Box from WRRC.

New times coming soon.....
post #9 of 9 Old 07-04-2008, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88OrangeLX View Post
If the TB are that torched your going to need a Stang Box from WRRC.
i took a better look at them today, and i dont think they are all that bad. not sure with the uppers, havnt gotten a chance to look yet. but the lower isnt ripped as far as i thought. i think ill be fine with battle boxes, welding the seams up, and a set of wolfe craft racing plates. should be bullet proof then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement