My thoughts on the NMRA - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
My thoughts on the NMRA

No weight breaks to make the SSO/nitrous cars competitive ( Oh forgot it's PROCHARGER super street outlaw now) and while they wouldn't Allow Robbie Blankenship to pass tech in Bradenton because tech felt the rack & pinion was a few inches to far forward, they go and change the rules in SSO to allow Urist new illegal car to be legal, Well from were I set they still didn't get it all fixed for him and still think the car is illegal. Rules state (even in the new revision) that you had to have a "stock unaltered drive shaft tunnel) His tunnel his cut out and put back in, ( maybe for chassis work) but the rear section of the tunnel is custom fabricated from the "main hoop" to about 8" forward of said hoop. that isn't legal by the rules.

It's funny how when some or certain racers push the rules, NMRA says it's "beyond the intention of the rule" and other certain racers do the same thing and it's called a "Gray Area".

I tell ya what it is, It's the BUDDY CLUB stronger than ever in the NMRA, and I think will eventually be it's downfall.

I remember last year at Milan when I had my chin spoiler, Rules stated minimum clearance was 3" ( spoiler was 3 1/8"-3 1/4" from ground) and couldn't not reach beyond the front leading edge of the bumper cover and IT DID NOT. Thom said it was OK when being teched in, now hrs later after I crossed the scales on a "Test" pass, Thom came over and said "I could run it tonight in Qualifying, but had to remove it for tomorrow". How is it legal Friday night and not legal Saturday morning. Anyway Someone cried over and I was told to remove it even thought it fit within rules. Now Fast Forward to Columbus ( I'm there helping TIM in H/S) and see two SSO cars, Manny & Macdonald with the very some thing I was told wasn't legal or "beyond the intent of the rules" in Milan, MI. That is favoritism any way you look at it.

Yet Urist's car with all rear seat area sheetmetal removed ( not just between frame rails either), drive shaft tunnel modified/fabricated/replaced, and the frame rail notched all the way to the rear bumper cover. is not past the intent of the rules, it's a Gray Area. And Now the rules committee change it to keep him legal , while pushing other races away.

Last edited by Sam sso2077; 07-06-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 07-02-2008, 11:42 PM

no matter what you do there will be politics in whatever you do. wether you race car or run for mayor politics will have a hand in it somehow. i dont agree with it maybe becasue i have never been on the winning side of the politics but it still does not make it right. if it would have been me at milan i would have thrown a fit and showed them it was legal again!. good luck with that though.

306, AFR's, S-trim 15 lbs, C4 w/brake 3500 stall, spooled

[email protected] 1/8 mile 1.4 60ft
post #3 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Trader Feedback: (23)
It's called double standard, I see it and deal with it everyday. I'm in the military and even thought favoritism is not "tolerated" it happens every single day ever since I've been in for 9+ years. I hate to see the acomodating factor to help the buddies out. Sometimes that's why when you get the chance to play dirty, just DO IT! since other people don't abide by the rules and/or justice/equality is never there.

Sam, it actually sucks because you car is one of those competitive nitrous cars and obviously they're trying to control it and give the "others" the advantage always.

‘93 Mustang GT ZSR Dart 347, TFS 190 11R Heads, FTI Cam, TFS Box R Intake...

Last edited by Impetuous; 07-03-2008 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam sso2077 View Post
Thom said it was OK when being teched in, now hrs later after I crossed the scales on a "Test" pass, Thom came over and said "I could run it tonight in Qualifying, but had to remove it for tomorrow". How is it legal Friday night and not legal Saturday morning.

This is the most frustrating part that has me going WTF.

I think it is stuff like this that has more people with less budget afraid to build class specific cars.
post #5 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 10:13 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakes88 View Post
This is the most frustrating part that has me going WTF.

I think it is stuff like this that has more people with less budget afraid to build class specific cars.
That's why I race for fun.. My cra could probably do a true/real street rcae but I'd have to go over it with a fine tooth comb before I teched it to make sure it's with in the rules.

F'n Joey

Pain is weakness leaving your body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 12:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (39)
We need to start a new sec of mustang racing. NMRA imo does have issues. Dont get me wrong I do not run in any NMRA class but I have attended a few and it looks pre staged almost who is gonna win before the race even starts.

TOO_NUTS Racing
N/A- Pump Gas- 408 Clevor - [email protected]2.
Best 60ft on stock type suspension 1.28
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UPR UCA/ Megabyte lowers/ stock anti roll bar. No battle boxes!
post #7 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 03:39 PM

FFW and NMRA are the same.. the news guys or guys that are low on the pole get shafted.

I used to race the fords at e-town real street class every october, until they started letting these 8-9 second street cars in.. based on thier rules there was no way a car with a chute would pass a dmv inspection let alone pass the emissions test in any state, but yet these cars raced.. so I don't bother with it anymore.. it used to be fun racing with street legal 11-14 second cars.. at least then the little guy stood a chance.

F'n Joey

post #8 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Corral Charter Member

Trader Feedback: (92)
They've got a pretty unique package going on at NMRA.

National heads-up racing, magazine and TV coverage (sort of).

For that combination, NMRA is pretty much the only game in town.

....and they know it.

I had fun doing my NMRA racing, but I don't miss it.

2003 NMRA "Evil Twin" Pure Street championship car
(Driver: Darin Hendricks Crew Chief: Me
)
82 Ford Fairmont…NMRA FS 6777 (sealed CS Coyote engine)
www.coyotestock.com
post #9 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 10:47 PM

NMRA sucks, period. the rules make no sense to begin with and you only have to follow them if youre broke lol. you cant take a nice 82 stang and race in factory stock or half the classes for that matter unless you destroy it and make it F.I. and tear the stock trans out because they dont like the factory equipt. . You cant use carbs in half the classes, why? the fi guys are flying so its no advantage there. it is in my opinion the worst association around, and for many other reasons not listed. alot of people are starting to realize it and i know some sso and other racers who are turning their back.
post #10 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
What is your plans Sam? Do you have a engine together? Ohio Valley?

post #11 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 11:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Yeah the NMRA is a joke...and TRUE STREET class is the biggest WASTE OF TIME AROUND!!!! I think all of their classes SUCK...nobody on a budget can race NMRA!! IHRA is still fun for me! (well when my car is together....lol)

"Those who live life by the sword...get SHOT by those who don't!!"
post #12 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79mustang351w View Post
Yeah the NMRA is a joke...and TRUE STREET class is the biggest WASTE OF TIME AROUND!!!! I think all of their classes SUCK...nobody on a budget can race NMRA!! IHRA is still fun for me! (well when my car is together....lol)

Speak for urself. I race on a budget ALL THE TIME. Im a single father, that makes ends meet and can go racing. Ive spent alot of time and money on my Factory Stock car, and Im proud of it. Everyone has their opinion but unless its polite, please keep it to urself.

NMRA Factory Stock
Quickest and fastest stock PI Headed 2v NMRA Factory Stock pass [email protected] with a 1.451 60ft
post #13 of 43 Old 07-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Sam, dont feel so bad, your class isnt the only one with problems, go to the nmra forums and go to the drag radial forum. The windsor guys are having a BIG problem keeping up with the mod motor guys. I know that I couldnt afford to be competitive if I wanted to, so I will leave the class racing to you all.
post #14 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Connelley View Post
What is your plans Sam? NOT SURE. Do you have a engine together? Working on a new one as we speak. Ohio Valley?
sometime this year, YES
post #15 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 09:34 AM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Same BS over @ NMCA I would assume?
Here in the midwest, the BEST heads up series imo is the IMSM Racing Series. Affordable (a relative term), low key and still fun. We must be doing something right. Bob Curran, Mike Post, Tony Ortz and a bunch of others run with us

Tony

Circle R Performance
Team Z
post #16 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Leslie Jr. View Post
Speak for urself. I race on a budget ALL THE TIME. Im a single father, that makes ends meet and can go racing. Ive spent alot of time and money on my Factory Stock car, and Im proud of it. Everyone has their opinion but unless its polite, please keep it to urself.
Reading over the class rules, no carbs? I run a carb.. so I would have to basically change my whole set up to run factory stock..

Racing is an expensive hobby as it is, but keeping up with the people that have money is next to impossible to do on a budget.. at least my budget.. I need to rent a truck and trailer to get to the track, pay track fees, PLUS hotel fees, gas, tolls if any, and if something breaks I'm screwed, I'll miss the season if not the next season depending on what it is.. racing used to be a ton of fun, but the money people ruined it, cause the ones that have the money dominate the classes, and in order to beat them you need MONEY or an act of god to break their car. They don't have the little man classes where an guy can come in and just race. The rules are all over the place for NMRA I'm looking at the book right now..

You seem to be pretty competitive for your class which is great, but factory stock isn't for me. So I stick to just racing for fun, no class restrictions, just go tot the track and beat the crap out of it.

F'n Joey

post #17 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 AM

This is exactly why I don't race NMRA. I was never a full timer but I would get a car there when I could. I want to build a dedicated heads up class car but I just don't have the patients to deal with all the b.s. With the cost of racing with fuel etc, they better get there sh$t right or like previously mentioned, there wont be an NMRA
post #18 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 12:37 PM

john, dont take it personal, youre doing good and thats great, but if you look at it from an outside standpoint over the long term then youll understand why so many feel this way. no other asociation has rules that are so out of whack. by nmra standards you basically have to have or be prepared to have a pro 5.0 car to compete. ive been there from the start, when mustangs were an nhra/ihra deal and this is not where i saw it going. like you said, you have alot of time and money in your car, and thats a FACTORY STOCK class. i believe that when you go racing, your only opponent should be the guy next to you, not the association youre racing under. and whats to be said over the long term? if you have to spend 30,000$ now to race in the lowest class, whats gonna happen 5 years from now? tell me why my kids or anyone elses kids have to give up theyre college fund just to race in nmra when really it was us as kids that made this sport with the few extra $ we had. I as a racer have respect for others true to this sport, and that includes the little guy just starting out. why is it wrong to expect the same from nmra, make classes that are what the name implies.
post #19 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Corral Charter Member

To be fair fellas, the NMRA isn't to blame for people being willing to spend a lot of money to win at heads-up racing. No matter what the class rules, there will always be someone willing and able to throw cubic dollars at it to get a trophy. You also can't just build a car and think someone's going to write a set of heads-up rules to make you competitive. You pick the class and then build the car.

Additionally, I think it's an insult to the people who do well in those classes to pretend like money is the only reason.

There's a ton of work and testing and sleepless nights and trying things that don't pay off (and they ain't cheap either) in every one of those fast heads-up cars. It is hard goddam work.

I don't see a correlation between the "money people" and travelling to the races being expensive. It is a national series after all.

It isn't fair to say something sucks just because you can't afford it.

Are you suggesting doing means-testing for some classes? People with incomes over xx,xxx can't race Factory Stock. Make sure you take your tax returns to tech inspection. LOL!

Additionally, the name of a class doesn't mean squat. Got try to race Stock Eliminator or Pro Stock on a budget and see how successful you are.

NMRA does share part of the blame for ruining FS. When they opened up the shortblock rules to be the same as Pure Street (because they didn't want to tech cars is my guess), it was the beginning of the end. Additionally, their insistence on trying to run 4V and iron headed pushrod cars in the same class is about like trying to keep a class equal between Nitrous and Turbo cars.

But hey, they've got low car counts to show for it.

In 2000 when I started out in Pure Street, almost all the Factory Stock cars were driven to the races. It was fun. Joffre Lafontaine made the first 12 second pass in FS that year in Michigan, and everyone swore they saw him throw a nitrous bottle out at the end of the track!

"He has to be cheating he's running 12s in Factory Stock" LOL!

Is the no carbs in FS rule stupid? Hell yes.

Do they make bad or arbitrary or political decisions? Yes.

Is it expensive? Ye$$$$ -It's car racing for chrissakes.

I still say that if you want to race heads-up, get magazine and maybe some (lame) TV coverage, have the potential to attract sponsor dollars, and win a small but not insignificant amount of money, then NMRA is the only game available.

)
www.coyotestock.com
post #20 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 05:40 PM

not that im any good at discussion lol but i didnt mean it that way lx.
i give props to anyone who can go fast in any class. i just think there needs to be a stop point for each class. stop opening the rules more every year, if you cant build a car in the rules then go up or down to the next class. the best reason for that is simply, just about every class in nmra runs the same #'s lol. well why not just merge all the classes, itll still be competetive.
post #21 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 05:55 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Talking

So what's the new club going to be called ? Also if you don't have a truck and a trailer then just drive to the track. A wrecker back home would be cheaper then driving a rental truck there and back also.

Last edited by smurfmobile8586; 07-04-2008 at 06:25 PM.
post #22 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Simple..have 3 classes! Fast, faster and fastest. Break it down to factory stock stuff in fast group, faster with strokers of any sort with power adder, fastest for chutes and big turbo,nitrous and blower cars that are aloud to run at any speed or e.t. Bring what ya got and hope its fast enough as long as its ford production / after market stuff with no chevy junk why not.?

TOO_NUTS Racing
N/A- Pump Gas- 408 Clevor - [email protected]

Last edited by Nutzz; 07-04-2008 at 11:57 PM.
post #23 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 07:44 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
If only it was that simple.
post #24 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Lol ya said fastest twice! Its not that simple if it was that would suck. What about the cars have.turbo stock block and run ten's?? Or dart based motors with no power adders that would be inbetween classes also..

post #25 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceman View Post
not that im any good at discussion lol but i didnt mean it that way lx.
i give props to anyone who can go fast in any class. i just think there needs to be a stop point for each class. stop opening the rules more every year, if you cant build a car in the rules then go up or down to the next class. the best reason for that is simply, just about every class in nmra runs the same #'s lol. well why not just merge all the classes, itll still be competetive.

this pretty much answers what I was saying.. FS is now, what? 11's? next year it will be 10's and so on..

I'm not saying that the people that throw money at it suck, they just make it that much harder for the little guy to join in the fun.

Quote:
if you don't have a truck and a trailer then just drive to the track. A wrecker back home would be cheaper then driving a rental truck there and back also.
hmm.. that would be great if EVERY race was at my home track, but BG is a 12 hour drive for me.. that tow bill would be more then my car is worth.. sorry.. renting a truck and trailer is the answer there.. unless of cours you want to pay my way.

F'n Joey

post #26 of 43 Old 07-04-2008, 11:57 PM

lol whoops..it is that easy..!just work out minor details.

TOO_NUTS Racing
N/A- Pump Gas- 408 Clevor - [email protected]
post #27 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Sam,

what about running a southern organization like ORSCA. Less travel expense. Try to find aclass you could adapt to.

I hear they payout most of the money to the racers.

I live in AL and travel throughout the state and to GA to watch. Bad ass racing, looser rules.

Still some favorites but it seems anybody can win because durablility and traction are the equalizers.

2015 GT - Perf Pkg.

1989 SSP
383W - Precision Turbo
post #28 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 03:23 PM

Trader Feedback: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutzz View Post
Simple..have 3 classes! Fast, faster and fastest. Break it down to factory stock stuff in fast group, faster with strokers of any sort with power adder, fastest for chutes and big turbo,nitrous and blower cars that are aloud to run at any speed or e.t. Bring what ya got and hope its fast enough as long as its ford production / after market stuff with no chevy junk why not.?
We have a local race like that, a class for 12 second cars, 10 second cars, and after that, the "Outlaw" cars. Each class is run on an index, 12 second class you run what you brung and run heads up, just no faster than 12 flat.

10 second class you must drive to the track then race heads up, no faster than 10 flat.

Outlaw you run what you brung as long as it has doors, heads up.

1984 Coupe - Proline Dart 327ci, compound turbos, 9", minitubs, cage, T-top coupe project car
1993 Coupe - Coyote project
2005 Duramax - Daily driver
post #29 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Corral Charter Member

I don't think anyone's going to drive across the country or build a car to go 12.0 index racing.

Probably not very many people interested in paying to see it either.

)
www.coyotestock.com
post #30 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 PM

It's an example, and that's why I said "local". Pay attention.

It is very popular here, there are dozens of entries and a couple thousand spectators at each event as well. IIRC the format originated in Florida.

1984 Coupe - Proline Dart 327ci, compound turbos, 9", minitubs, cage, T-top coupe project car
post #31 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Corral Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffhomer View Post
It's an example, and that's why I said "local". Pay attention.
An example of index racing in a thread about heads-up racing.

A "local" example in a thread about a national series at that.

I'm not the one with the reading comprehension problem.

)
www.coyotestock.com
post #32 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 PM

A quote directed to a certain post, again, as an example for the author and his idea.

Perhaps we can just argue back and forth like children?

post #33 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Corral Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffhomer View Post

Perhaps we can just argue back and forth like children?
You started it.

)
www.coyotestock.com
post #34 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 07:27 PM

actually, both nhra and ihra have and always had classes just like that, and they get more tv coverage then nmra and theyre not only national but international and the stands get packed. if you ever want to watch it just go to espn2 usually late night around 3am, i know but hey atleast they get on tv lol.
post #35 of 43 Old 07-08-2008, 07:46 PM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhorse7 View Post
Same BS over @ NMCA I would assume?
Here in the midwest, the BEST heads up series imo is the IMSM Racing Series. Affordable (a relative term), low key and still fun. We must be doing something right. Bob Curran, Mike Post, Tony Ortz and a bunch of others run with us

IMSM is a exciting series. Come on out and play!!!!!! Next race July 26th 2008 Qualifing starts at 5 pm. Union Grove, Wisconsin (Da Grove!) Great lakes Dragaway

imsmracingseries.com

1998 Cobra SOLD!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement