RIP Scott Kalitta - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (3)
RIP Scott Kalitta

Just got home from the track and heard about the accident. So sad.

I know John Force is a lucky man to be with us now after his crash last fall. I can't help but think that he was left on this earth for a purpose.....maybe to make this sport safer through engineering and car design to help prevent tragities like this that happen all too often.

10.91 @ 124mph (60'....1.44)
Stock Short Block, Stock T-5, Stock Computer, 93 Octane, A-Trim....driven like it was stolen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 AM

Trader Feedback: (29)
yeah something needs to be done. cars are too fast and tracks are too short. with a longer runoff maybe this could have turned out better?
very very sad. rip.

1993 notch 302 and c4
quicktime turbo system
9.986 @ 136.84
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"393 stroker and pt88 inthe works"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 03:22 AM

what a great lose,R.I.P. scott kalitta...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

I completely agree. Look at the advancements in the cars and speeds and then compare that to the advancements in the tracks themselves....not so much has changed.

NRHA is in a tough spot. Nobody wants to see the cars slow down but I don't know what else you could do to protect the human body at 300 mph.

Even the sand and nets are catostrphic if you hit them at 300 mph. Maybe they need to look into some sort of kill-switch/remote brakeing system similiar to what the monster truck guys use.....that way if something happens and the driver can't slow the car down atleast something will attempt to slow the car down automaticly.

I don't know....there are a lot of tracks in my area going to 1/8th mile....I sure how that doesn't become the long term answer.

10.91 @ 124mph (60'....1.44)
Stock Short Block, Stock T-5, Stock Computer, 93 Octane, A-Trim....driven like it was stolen
post #5 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 08:57 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I was at the track and witnessed the crash from the stands. Based on everything I saw and heard, he was unconscious at the first explosion (between the 1000' mark and the stripe). No chutes, no brakes, throttle still at least partially engaged...he didn't have a chance.

E-town has long shutdown area from the stripe to the last turnoff. The sand pit isn't too long, but they are up against a public road - nothing they can really do about it. The sand isn't designed to stop a car doing 200+ mph - just to bring it to a safe stop before it careens into the woods or off of track property. At the speed that Scott was traveling, I am not sure that there is any shutdown area at any track in the country that would have kept his car on the track.

I was originally for the remote shutoff idea, but am leaning the other way. The driver is probably in more danger (assuming he is still controlling the car) if someone starts playing with his chutes and brakes. Secondly, I don't think there is enough time to decide that the driver is incoherent and then hit a switch that activates the chutes or brakes. Just doesn't seem practical in this case.

A tragedy any way you look at it. RIP Scott - our prayers are with his family and friends.

2006 Vista Blue GT
13.74 @ 99.3
1986 Blue GT
11.708 @ 115.39 :: 1.54 60'
post #6 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 10:05 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Re: RIP Scott Kalitta

That initial explosion was horrific . My condolences to the Kalitta family and friends .

308, AFRs, Systemax upper/truck lower, TKO 500, race gas
[email protected] NED (1/8th) 10/19/16 - 1.47 M/T Stiff wall slick
post #7 of 10 Old 06-22-2008, 11:46 PM

Just watched the race a bit ago and watched the qualifying yesterday. He was a great person in real life...he will be missed. RIP Scott-my prayers tonight will be with his family and friends who have to go on in this life without their loved one.

"Those who live life by the sword...get SHOT by those who don't!!"
post #8 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 11:03 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06VistGT View Post
I was at the track and witnessed the crash from the stands. Based on everything I saw and heard, he was unconscious at the first explosion (between the 1000' mark and the stripe). No chutes, no brakes, throttle still at least partially engaged...he didn't have a chance.
There is several vids of the crash on youtube. It was definately one of the worst if not the worst drag racing crash I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06VistGT View Post
I was originally for the remote shutoff idea, but am leaning the other way. The driver is probably in more danger (assuming he is still controlling the car) if someone starts playing with his chutes and brakes. Secondly, I don't think there is enough time to decide that the driver is incoherent and then hit a switch that activates the chutes or brakes. Just doesn't seem practical in this case.
The only two things I can think of that might help in situations like this is having an automatic chute deployment and brake engagement at the finish line where some type of sensor on the car picks up a signal at the finish line to automatically perform these functions in the case of an unconscious driver. The other thing is a cable braking mechanism like what is used on aircraft carriers. I don't know feasible these would be or how well either of these would play out on the track but they were the only things I could think of to help with this situation

88 coupe, 351 cleveland, unported 4V heads, buddy rawls custom solid roller, diamond domes, 6'' h-beam rods, stock 4bolt block/crank, holley strip dominator, 950HP holley, hoosier 28x10, 90/10s, UPR pro rear kit
nonstroked, stock iron heads and NO NITROUS!!!!!!!!
[email protected] / [email protected] (1/8th)
post #9 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 01:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
I was there too. Happened to be on the deck enjoying an adult beverage on the big end when it happened. Saw the explosion right in front of me, the whole windshield of the car flew about 20 feet over my head - one of the most horrific things I've ever seen. What horrified me even more were the knuckleheads cheering when it happened thinking it was really cool.

'90 LX Hatch - original owner, GT-40, TW, E-303, 4.10's, Novi 1000, 6psi
post #10 of 10 Old 06-23-2008, 04:01 PM

I'm willing to bet you see mandatory chute ejection once the burst panel is popped.

91 LX, 393, Jerico DR4. Best time so far [email protected]

Old combo:GT 40p heads, Cobra intake, stock cam and bottom end,4.30's
Runs 12.00's @112+
Sponsored Links
Advertisement