Reaction times vs. 60' times - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Trader Feedback: (0)
Reaction times vs. 60' times

Ok, we need good reaction times to post good times, but does reaction time affect 60' times? I would say no, since the 60' time doesn't start counting until you start rolling... Am I correct?

Does MSD or anyone else out there manufacture anything to help our cars post faster reaction times, other than our own reaction? As I said b4, I have been out of drag racing for a longgggg time (ahem, about a decade ), but I remember on auto cars (I drive stick btw) there was some delay box or?? to help you launch quicker. Can someone clue me in on 2008 tech to help achieve the same goal when it comes to reaction time...and hopefully improve 60' times?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 12:50 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
Which kind of racing are you doing that you need the reaction time on? Bracket, index, or heads up?

In index and heads up racing, usually delay boxes are not allowed. A delay box is something you pre-program after practicing with it. You can program in a delay so that when you see the first yellow bulb on the sportsman tree come down, you can let off the t-brake button then and the car won't launch until the 3rd yellow, or whenever you set the timer to do.

There is some new technology out regarding some photo-sensitive equipment that you can wire into your brake that will release the brake when it senses the yellow lights to come on. Not sure of its legality at this point though.

As far as reaction times and sixty foot/ET are concerned, your reaction time has zero to do with the ET and sixty foot. The only thing that affects those when shooting for a better reaction is how deep you stage the car. Example if you roll in deeper to get your rear tire further into and quicker out of the beams, then your sixty foot and ET are going to suffer. Reason being is that you're getting less of a rolling start at the sixty foot markers and the end of the track. Yes even 4-8" can affect these numbers. If you roll in deep and turn off the top stage bulb, you will lose .1 in sixty foot and ET. I used to do it all the time.

If you are index racing and running in the slower classes with a car that doesn't quite react as fast as a 700+ horsepower car with big tires, then you can put on smaller front tires to help out the reaction time. Basically it reduces the rollout to clear the beams. Smaller tires will also show a slightly worse sixty foot and ET.

Carl S.: 417", Yates C3s, Edelbrock 2828, Dominator, Powerglide, 4.10s, 3100 lbs raceweight. 1.27 60' [email protected] nitrous on 275/60 Mickeys in Ultra trim
2014 Ruby Red GT Auto, bone stock for now
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/carlrenee1/sigpic1-1.jpg
post #3 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I am just going to be running at the local 1/8 track, no bracket racing, just heads up....for bragging rights

Delay box.. that's what I was thinking about... I want something to tell the car when to launch vs. my human reaction.

I need both reaction time and 60' times since that is what is going to give me a better time and reaction time is going to get me up front from the guy next to me.

So, you are saying NOT to roll in deep at staging, just enough to trigger the light, correct?

As I learned when I street raced my sportbike, the guy with the biggest bike doesn't win if he can't ride worth a ####. So, I want to be able to know that when I stage I have the driver-piece down right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 PM

Trader Feedback: (11)
Using a delay box doesn't guarantee good reaction times. You still have to hit the button to start the timer, so if you are late hitting it you will be late off the line. Getting good reaction times takes practice. Like the poster above me said you need to try and pull into the beams the same distance each pass. Personally I try to just light the stage bulbs everytime and I leave on the third yellow. This will of course all depend on how your car leaves. Try to have a routine and duplicate it every run.

88 GT with T-Tops, 83k
88 LX coupe Bracket car
post #5 of 9 Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
In NMRA Open Comp we qualify based on reaction time.

X275 build in progress follow on Mustang Junkies.net

http://www.mustangjunkies.net/f9/project-dirty-red-444
post #6 of 9 Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Garage
Delay box won't do jack crap for you if you are not able to red light on a .400 pro tree by leaving as soon as you see yellow. Considering you are mostly planning to grudge race, I doubt the tree will be on autostart and even if it was, it has random starting points that could vary by a few seconds.

If you are grudge racing on a sportsman tree, ie .500 1, 2, 3, go then you can program the box to allow you to let off the t-brake button at the first bulb.

Carl S.: 417", Yates C3s, Edelbrock 2828, Dominator, Powerglide, 4.10s, 3100 lbs raceweight. 1.27 60' [email protected] nitrous on 275/60 Mickeys in Ultra trim
2014 Ruby Red GT Auto, bone stock for now
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj77/carlrenee1/sigpic1-1.jpg
post #7 of 9 Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by White90GT View Post
Delay box won't do jack crap for you if you are not able to red light on a .400 pro tree by leaving as soon as you see yellow. Considering you are mostly planning to grudge race, I doubt the tree will be on autostart and even if it was, it has random starting points that could vary by a few seconds.

If you are grudge racing on a sportsman tree, ie .500 1, 2, 3, go then you can program the box to allow you to let off the t-brake button at the first bulb.
I read up a bit on them last night, together with their price, it's not an option at this time .

I will have to stage correctly and just work at it, making sure the tires are set correct, etc.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-18-2008, 09:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
you guys are a trip.you're arguing over wether or not a delay-box will help this guy.unless they have delay-boxes that can wire into the nerves in his left leg to make him release the clutch,it wont do jack**** for him.to the op,just make staging your car a routine that you repeat as close as possible each time and remember at what point in the lights you left to compare with rt's and adjust as needed.and also,anybody that tries to sell you a delay-box,transbrake or valvebody for your car,tell them to get off the corral and get to the track.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-18-2008, 11:04 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Correct me if I am wrong but in bracket racing a delay box might throw you into the super pro class because of the electronics.

X275 build in progress follow on Mustang Junkies.net

http://www.mustangjunkies.net/f9/project-dirty-red-444
Sponsored Links
Advertisement