Detroit Locker opinions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-10-2008, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (2)
Detroit Locker opinions

Hey guys, I am about to order some much needed diff parts for my car.. So does detroit make their own lockers?? or is a detroit locker just a style of rear end?? I think this will be a great diff for my street / strip warrior. ???

any thoughts???

maybe a set of moser axles and a moser detroit locker?? Or am I missin somethin here??

Chris

94tealGT

"Build it fast enough to break it, then build it faster, fast enough to put in an automatic...then it becomes boring."-Hot Rod the Movie-1979
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-11-2008, 12:05 AM

Trader Feedback: (48)
Detroit lockers are made by eaton and one of the best locking differential made there is no slip like a auburn diff . The only better axle locking device is a spool . Be warned though the detroit locker is noisy when it locks and unlocks and if you floor it when going around a corner your car will start to go straight instead of turning .

I am running a 31 spline Detroit locker myself and I chose it as I wanted the best locking diff so I can drive on the street as spools have no business on the street imo . But if your car is a track only car then go with the spool .

post #3 of 5 Old 06-11-2008, 12:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
First off there is only 1 detroit locker... But Eaton makes a couple different posi/lockers... I have a detroit locker in my 91 GT...
But what are you wanting to do with the car...street/strip it aint bad... the first couple of month on the street mine would shake the whole car when it engaged after a turn but that goes away with use...

Right now i have ALOT of play in the drivetrain yet the backlash with the ring and pinion is right around .007.
And that play is around 45-90 degrees of driveshaft rotation with out tire movement...

That and you have to be sure that both rear tires have to be no more 1/2 inch in circumference or it will destroy the locker... keep a tire pressure guage in the car... your going to use it...
But here is a link
http://www.eaton.com/EatonCom/Produc...cker/index.htm

Check em out and good luck... the detroit locker is a locker though... anytime a load is applied both tires rotate at the same rpm no if's, and's or but's... and thats why i got one... oh and if you run radials on the car... if you turn and stand on the throttle.. your going anywhere but straight...

Last edited by gtconv91; 06-11-2008 at 12:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-12-2008, 11:11 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
If you're looking for something thats reliable for both the street and the track, I reccomend the Detroit TrueTrac. I have one and love it. Im also running 31 spline Strange Axles without any problems.

-Eric ~USAF AMMO~

1994 Mustang GT A4 block, 327ci stroker, Ross Pistons, Eagle H-beam rods, 4340 forged crank, Saleen/Vortech Intake, 75mm BBK throttle body, 76mm C&L meter, Brodix heads custom built from bare casting in our own shop 2.05/1.60 valves. Comp cam custom grind, Wrapped Kooks 1 7/8 longtubes w/3" collector, Full 3" exhaust, Shaft mount rockers. ATI D-1 w/3core intercooler and 2.95 pulley, Fluidyne radiator, MSD 6BTM ignition, 42# injectors, 1/2" billet fuel rails, 1/2" stainless steel fuel line from tank to engine, Aeromotive A1000 pump, 3.55 gears, Strange 31 spline axles, Detroit True trac diff unit, Tremec TKO, FMS aluminum driveshaft,
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2008, 10:58 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I love mine too. I drive it on the street almost everyday during the nice weather and haven't had any issues since the 2004 installation. At the track, it handles my 5,000 rpm launches with the ET Streets (no spinning) without any problems. It's been rock solid reliable and it doesn't bother my wife or kids. I guess that's the real test. LOL!

1979 Mustang Cobra - 5.0/5-Speed/4.30's - 12.38 @ 111 mph
1989 Mustang LX - 5.0/5-Speed/3.73's - 14.63 @ 95 mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement