Noob drag racing questions... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 06-05-2008, 02:07 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (1)
Noob drag racing questions...

So, I have never been down the track before. I want to run my car sometime this year to see what it can do. I want to run it in street setup form, and I know that traction will be an issue anlong with my stock gears (3.08s).

I never built this car to be a track car. Just a fun streetable car that will still pass the damn California smog laws but still be able to piss off a few ricers and old guys in vettes. I have acheavied those goals and now it's time to try the track.

My main questions is how should I launch ( or creep off the line?)

My thoughts are going to be rev to about 2000prm and feather the clutch a bit, short shift in first, hit second and after some rpm's, I should be able to go full throttle the rest of the time. I don't really have big traction issues in the upper rpm's past second gear (about 300 or a bit more RWHP right now). Not even sure that I will have to get out of 3rd in the 1/4 mile. 5600rpm is 102mph for my setup.

Also, I will be running street tires. Do I need to warm them up before the run, or is that just a waste of time and fuel with street tires?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Frank

93 SVT Cobra Kenne Bell 2.1L @ 8psi, 76mm C&L tuner MAF and inlet, 42# injectors, 255lph pump, Moates QuarterHorse tuner, DataQ, Autometer Gauges, Aluminum radiator, Hurst SST shifter, MM sub frame connectors & K-brace, Flowmaster cat-back, 75mm Accufab TB, BBK shortys, AIS meth injection, 3.55's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-05-2008, 07:18 AM
Formerly LSNotch

Trader Feedback: (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big frank View Post
So, I have never been down the track before. I want to run my car sometime this year to see what it can do. I want to run it in street setup form, and I know that traction will be an issue anlong with my stock gears (3.08s).

I never built this car to be a track car. Just a fun streetable car that will still pass the damn California smog laws but still be able to piss off a few ricers and old guys in vettes. I have acheavied those goals and now it's time to try the track.

My main questions is how should I launch ( or creep off the line?)

My thoughts are going to be rev to about 2000prm and feather the clutch a bit, short shift in first, hit second and after some rpm's, I should be able to go full throttle the rest of the time. I don't really have big traction issues in the upper rpm's past second gear (about 300 or a bit more RWHP right now). Not even sure that I will have to get out of 3rd in the 1/4 mile. 5600rpm is 102mph for my setup.

Also, I will be running street tires. Do I need to warm them up before the run, or is that just a waste of time and fuel with street tires?

Thanks in advance for the help...

Frank
I don't know man but you have a kb and that's plenty of torque down low to shred the street radials. I'll try a dry hop avoiding the water and droping the tire pressure to 28psi, no lower than that. Start about 2k like you said and ride the clutch while pressing the gas slowly. I managed to run 13.20 doing that in my old 93 lx hatch but I prolly had about 280rwhp and a less torque. It's going to be tricky but good luck if that's what you want to do. My sugestion is to get some BFG DR's since you do a lot of street driving and have at it.

93 Mustang GT ZSR Dart 347, TFS 190 11R Heads, FTI Cam, TFS Box R Intake...
post #3 of 14 Old 06-05-2008, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 408WNA View Post
I don't know man but you have a kb and that's plenty of torque down low to shred the street radials. I'll try a dry hop avoiding the water and droping the tire pressure to 28psi, no lower than that. Start about 2k like you said and ride the clutch while pressing the gas slowly. I managed to run 13.20 doing that in my old 93 lx hatch but I prolly had about 280rwhp and a less torque. It's going to be tricky but good luck if that's what you want to do. My sugestion is to get some BFG DR's since you do a lot of street driving and have at it.
Thanks for the reply. The only reason I'm going to do it this was is first because that is how I have the car normally and want to see what it can do in street trim. And second, I want to try running the track. Again, it's not an all out race car and will never be. Just want o give it a try and have some fun.

93 SVT Cobra Kenne Bell 2.1L @ 8psi, 76mm C&L tuner MAF and inlet, 42# injectors, 255lph pump, Moates QuarterHorse tuner, DataQ, Autometer Gauges, Aluminum radiator, Hurst SST shifter, MM sub frame connectors & K-brace, Flowmaster cat-back, 75mm Accufab TB, BBK shortys, AIS meth injection, 3.55's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-05-2008, 06:42 PM

The launch technique you describe is pretty much how I did it with street tires. Launched about 2.5k, slipped clutch and feathered gas, short shift, still easy on gas till it felt somewhat hooked up in second then WOT the rest of the way.

Running on street tires is really a different world. Everybody else had some type of traction tires and they all put big holeshots on me while I was trying to get out of the hole. I did run some of them down on the big end though.

Once you go to the track you'll be hooked. In no time you'll be shopping for some DR's. You wait, you'll see I'm right!

OFR - old fart racing

We're not fast racers. In fact folks call us half fast racers. At least I think that's what they're saying.
post #5 of 14 Old 06-05-2008, 06:52 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
X2 on the DR's any kind will help
Play with rpm... try out 2k rpm... then go up and down in 500 rpm increments until you find out what works... and yes modulate the clutch dont just side step it or your 60's will be crapper.
I wouldnt short shift 1 gear but play with that as well...
As far as the burnout.. dont go through the water box.. the tread can pick up water and drain it right where your sitting waiting for the green light to glow... Id suggest cleaning them though... 1st gear 5000 rpm side step the clutch and get a few rotations out of em.. maybe a lil smoke but thats it.. just cleaning them....
Then careful with radials... going into 2nd or 3rd gear the car is more probable to get out of control from spinning the tires... thats where the DR come in handy...
good luck and post up some numbers after ya go
post #6 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmb617 View Post
The launch technique you describe is pretty much how I did it with street tires. Launched about 2.5k, slipped clutch and feathered gas, short shift, still easy on gas till it felt somewhat hooked up in second then WOT the rest of the way.

Running on street tires is really a different world. Everybody else had some type of traction tires and they all put big holeshots on me while I was trying to get out of the hole. I did run some of them down on the big end though.

Once you go to the track you'll be hooked. In no time you'll be shopping for some DR's. You wait, you'll see I'm right!
Oh I don't doubt that you are right! That is one reason I have stayed away from the track. I still have another car to finish and if I get into drag racing, it'll never get done!

post #7 of 14 Old 06-06-2008, 12:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtconv91 View Post
X2 on the DR's any kind will help
Play with rpm... try out 2k rpm... then go up and down in 500 rpm increments until you find out what works... and yes modulate the clutch dont just side step it or your 60's will be crapper.
I wouldnt short shift 1 gear but play with that as well...
As far as the burnout.. dont go through the water box.. the tread can pick up water and drain it right where your sitting waiting for the green light to glow... Id suggest cleaning them though... 1st gear 5000 rpm side step the clutch and get a few rotations out of em.. maybe a lil smoke but thats it.. just cleaning them....
Then careful with radials... going into 2nd or 3rd gear the car is more probable to get out of control from spinning the tires... thats where the DR come in handy...
good luck and post up some numbers after ya go
I don't seen to have much of a traction problem in 3rd with the 3.08's. Second can get really loose above 1/2 throttle.

I'm running Sumitomo HTRZ III's. They are a summer tire and get stickier when it's warm outside or the road is hot. And because of the compound they are made of, they don't smoke much at all. But I may do a small burnout like you say out of the water. Don't know about side-stepping the clutch at 5k though...

post #8 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 07:10 PM

every pass is a learning experience when you are a newb
post #9 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 View Post
every pass is a learning experience when you are a newb
I bet!

Should a guy that has never been down the track make a half speed pass to see how it feels and what to expect? Seems like a good idea.

post #10 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 08:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by big frank View Post
I bet!

Should a guy that has never been down the track make a half speed pass to see how it feels and what to expect? Seems like a good idea.
HECK NAW! WOT all the way!! LOL, J/K! Whatever makes you feel most comfortable.

SLOW5.OH

Sex with the wife is a hobby. . . . . . . . . car building, is a love!
post #11 of 14 Old 06-07-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luist4498 View Post
HECK NAW! WOT all the way!! LOL, J/K! Whatever makes you feel most comfortable.
Well no harm running the first one slower. It's $10 for as many runs as you can get in.

post #12 of 14 Old 06-16-2008, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Well I went out to the Street Legal drags last weekend. A few things...

First, why didn't I do this earlier? What a freekin blast I had! Met some new guys and made 4 passes.

Traction was an issue. The only guys that could get a good launch was guys running cars with full drag slicks. Even the drag radials guys were spinning pretty good.

Best time I got was 14.0 at 100mph. Just couldn't get off the line without allot of peddling. Did what I thought I was going to do, but after looking at my datalogs, it seemed like I was leaving at 3000 rather than 2000rpm. Hard to watch the tach and the light at the same time. Best 60' was 2.1 I tried hard to make it into the 13's, but couldn't do it this time.

Weather was warm at about 95 degrees and the humidity was very low, probably around 10%. My poor blower was crying for some cool air.

One of the things I wanted to do was drive right up to the line without any changes to my car. That is how I ran. Didn't even let any air out of my tires or anything. Next time out, I will do some adjusting of air pressure, and launch rpm's, and probably change my shifting points some. I didn't do any sort of burnout either, not even dry. Most guys that were running street tires didn't do a burnout.

The track didn't seem very sticky. One guy that I talked to said it felt reasonably sticky to him. He was in a 12.5 second (all motor) car with slicks. He had N2O, but didn't use it. I think it was because of the track conditions. He said he runs 10.5's normally with a 175 shot.

I did learn some things, especially watching some of the other guys run. I'll go back in a month or two and hit it again.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I"ll let you know when I go back and if there is any improvement.

Frank

post #13 of 14 Old 06-18-2008, 10:49 AM

Trader Feedback: (0)
Always remembr you can go in the pits and ask questions. Alot of the experienced racers would rather take the time to help then have an inexeprienced uneducated racer on the track. You can always link up with someone in your area that has some experience to help a little.

You should do a quick spin of the tires just to clean off any debris you may have picked up in the pits and staging lanes before you stage. Small stones and junk get embedded into the rubber that's been put down already and that causes traction issues for both you and the faster cars that really rely on track conditions.

Glad to hear you had fun, your now addicted and you'll be going again soon.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-18-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sohc View Post
Always remembr you can go in the pits and ask questions. Alot of the experienced racers would rather take the time to help then have an inexeprienced uneducated racer on the track. You can always link up with someone in your area that has some experience to help a little.

You should do a quick spin of the tires just to clean off any debris you may have picked up in the pits and staging lanes before you stage. Small stones and junk get embedded into the rubber that's been put down already and that causes traction issues for both you and the faster cars that really rely on track conditions.

Glad to hear you had fun, your now addicted and you'll be going again soon.
Thanks for the info. I went we a guy that has some experience, and also talked to a few guys in the pis, as well as the guy doing tech about pulling off the track and coming back on the return lane. Also about safety equipment and what I should expect. Seemed to work out good.

Now, back to the track for some more seat time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement