Rear-end build up... ?'s - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
Rear-end build up... ?'s

Alright guys i need some direction/opinions on what its gonna take to make my 8.8 handle the car in my sig. Lets call it 75% street, 25% track...

Suspension setup:
Baseline Stage 2 UCA's, LCA's, Race ARB
Tokico Illumina 5-ways
Stock GT springs
Aerospace Pro-street brakes

What about the Torque Boxes?? Just weld the seams or go ahead and call Wild Rides for an upper and lower kit?

Do i still need to worry about the quads??

As far as the rearend itself goes, this is what i have so far:
31 spline Superior C-clip axles
31 spline FRPP diff (plan on rebuilding w/ carbon clutches)
Girdle

I plan on welding the tubes, dropping the dog bone and installing a CHE axle brace.

What else can i do?? Is 31 spline and c-clips still safe for me??
If i stay 31 spline should i buy an Eaton or Detriot Tru-trac Diff and ditch the FRPP unit??
Can i get C-clip elim's for these axles, or any other 31 spline axle? Everything i see says for drum brakes...

If i go 33 spline does anybody make a streetable diff or is it pretty much all lockers and spools at that point??

Any help or insight would be much appreciated, thanks guys

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension

Last edited by ARCANGL; 06-03-2008 at 01:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
upper and lower tq boxes a must.. quads can go. everything else seems ok.

F'n Joey

Pain is weakness leaving your body.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 10:59 AM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Moser has a good calculator on their axle tech section to calculate max torque to the wheels. Do you know what your axles are rated?
http://www.moserengineering.com/Pages/axletech.html

That Wild Rides kit is overkill for just reinforcement. Unless you're ripped your tq boxes to shreds, just weld the seams and buy/make some plates like these: http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=294

Quad shocks - honestly I don't know. They're there to control wheel hop, but with good UCA/LCAs you're supposed to be able to yank them. However, I don't see how they would hurt the car if you leave them on. Maybe Kevin would chime in on this?

As for the other diff/spline question... Do you have a transbrake? What tires are you running?

Another thought: If you're pulling the rear end to weld the axle tubes, what about 9" ends? Save the hassles of c-clip eliminators.

98 chrome yellow GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 02:10 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeyellow View Post
Quad shocks - honestly I don't know. They're there to control wheel hop, but with good UCA/LCAs you're supposed to be able to yank them. However, I don't see how they would hurt the car if you leave them on. Maybe Kevin would chime in on this?
I would get rid of them. Usually there is no need for them if you have good bushings and good shocks. Once in a while when running a low profile tire wheel hop can occure but most of the time you won't need them.

hth's
ks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kevin Slaby
2002 GT 2V 902hp/820tq through the muffs.
http://baselinesuspensions.com/Projects/balrog.htm
post #5 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 02:26 PM

Trader Feedback: (17)
Keeping the quad shock will also limit the size tire you can get in there. It's in the way.

X275 build in progress follow on Mustang Junkies.net

http://www.mustangjunkies.net/f9/project-dirty-red-444
post #6 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 06:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
I got wheel hop with any radial tire i put on the car with or with out the quad shocks... tried adjusting pinion angle and the only thing that fixed it was a DOT slick... I have POS Mega bite Jr's and had HPM dual adj uppers... Throw em away...
post #7 of 10 Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeyellow View Post
That Wild Rides kit is overkill for just reinforcement. Unless you're ripped your tq boxes to shreds, just weld the seams and buy/make some plates like these: http://www.wolferacecraft.com/detail.aspx?ID=294

I have to disagree. if he's going to be launching hard, just welding the seams isn't going to cut it, better to have over kill then nothing at all.

F'n Joey

Pain is weakness leaving your body.

post #8 of 10 Old 06-04-2008, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (76)
Garage
thanks for the opinion's guys... looks like i wasnt too far off.

and Kevin... my suspension came in today... it was like christmas, stuff looks amazing. Great quality. Very impressed, thanks man

11 SHO - Tuxedo Black - Livernois MyCal 4+ tune, K&N Typhoon, Stainless Works downpipes, Magnaflow Tru-X mid-muffler/Dynomax UltraFlo's, 170* t-stat, H&R Sports

04 GT - Comp Orange - John Tymensky Boss Block/3.80 stroker, Foxlake TFS', Hellion kit w/ Comp CT5 Turbo, MM cage, Team Z/MM suspension
post #9 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 PM

Trader Feedback: (62)
I would my self put in a tru-trac or an eaton and put 9" ends on or at the very least c-clip elim's. Would hate to loose a c-clip at 125+.

Big Bore Boss 347 FTI 225cc High Port, FTI Cam, Box R Intake under stock hood, T-56 Magnum, 4.30 gears.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-17-2008, 10:53 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak87 View Post
I have to disagree. if he's going to be launching hard, just welding the seams isn't going to cut it, better to have over kill then nothing at all.
I highly suggest the lower boxes to be reinforced but the uppers will hold just weld the seams all up.... But if you want extra security go uuper also.

I have beat the H** out of my rear suspension(several years) with Mid 1.30 60's with Kevins Uppers and All solid rear components with 5.14 gears with a T-brake with no ill effects on the upper mounting points.

Iron Headed N/A 408 New Best...1.31 60-ft 6.40 @107.9 1/8 mile at 3125 lbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement