FORD to Chevy Engine Swap - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 08-07-2007, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
FORD to Chevy Engine Swap

I have a 66 mustang and it has a blown 289 the damn rod came out the side. I have a chevy 327 vett motor with 450 hp. I want to put the 327 into my 66 mustang and I was wondering if anybody knows of a company that might sell a universal motor mount kit. If not I'm going to have to cut out the ford engine perches and weld in chevy ones, I would rather not do that. I want to build a 427 and put it in. I have the 327 and it work great.

Thanks,
MAD Mike's Mustang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-07-2007, 01:22 PM

Ignoring the ford fanboy within that wants to hit you with a 2x4 for considering this:

Dunno how the two engines compare in size, but 66 mustangs don't have much room. In 66's 351w's and 351c's are notorious for having hood clearance issues with tall intakes and need special swap headers; big blocks are a no go without removing shock towers (big job). If the 327 is a bit shorter and skinnier than a 351w, then it could work. You should look at the types of intakes and headers chevy guys have to use in tight applications (I don't know of any examples at the moment, but I'm sure they exist). But to answer your question, no, i don't know where you'd get the motor mounts.

Transmissions back should be easily doable... get a chevy bellhousing and a tremec or t-5 could work, or a powerglide or th350/400.

66 Coupe, 351W w/ T5 (CF Dual Friction, Fidanza flywheel, Pro 5.0), Trick Flow heads, XE274H cam, Stealth, Holley 670, Heddman headers, Flow 40s, MSD 6A, Pertronix Ignitor, KYB Gas-A-Justs, 4.5 rear leafs, 3.25 9 inch Trac-Lok rearend, sway bars, shelby drop, fuzzy dice
post #3 of 19 Old 08-07-2007, 01:32 PM

You might have more luck on a Chevy web site. Most people here run Ford motors. I am not saying you are not welcome here, only that most Mustang guys don't use Chevy engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 08-07-2007, 02:24 PM

Garage
while a chevy small block can be swapped into an early mustang, and has been done a few times, you will have guys like me putting you on a hit list

you have a few problems with this swap.

1: no one makes headers that i know of

2: no one makes mounts

3: you need either a front sump pan or to change the steering system from a rear steer to a front steer.

4: you will need to use a chevy transmission.

5: you will have to cut the firewall for clearance for the chevy distributor.

if you really want to make this swap, go ahead, but finding a 302, and building it with a 331 stroker kit is going to be easier and less expensive, and you can make just as much power. if you want more, then build a stroked 351w engine, i like the 393 displacement myself. that combination can make an easy 550hp with a mild build.

64 falcon
66 mustang
05 grand marquis
fordsix.com admin
post #5 of 19 Old 08-07-2007, 07:57 PM

Its too bad you have a built 327 and a mustang with a blown motor. Sell the 327, use the money to rebuild the 289, beef it out. Save yourself a lot of grief, in addition to everything that Rbohm, you'll need to get a custom made tranny mount, adapt your drive shaft, possibly need custom linkage to put the shifter in the correct spot on the mustang.

550hp in a windsor isn't a mild build in mind. Considering what a modern day muscle car has for hp, its very serious.

65 Vert w/ 17x8 Bullits 245/45/17zr, shelby drop, 620's 1" drop coils & 5 Leaf-mid eye, Koni's, 600cfm holly, edelbrock performer intake, Hipo exhaust w/ Super Turbos.
post #6 of 19 Old 08-07-2007, 08:35 PM

im having my C4 tranny rebuilt by jim paquet at JPT transmissions in eaton rapids Michigan you might want to give him a call he can make a bellhousing that will allow a C4 to bolt up to a small block chevy. 517-663-0578

I have a link to a web page with info if your interested PM me.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-07-2007, 09:45 PM

Trader Feedback: (6)
Blasphemy!

(i got deleted)

"Whats the point of a dream if you can't drive it?"
post #8 of 19 Old 08-08-2007, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

I Love to stir [email protected]

I probably won't I already have my eye on a 302 that I will stroke. I was only going to put the chevy motor in because 1. I have it and 2. I know it will get me from place to place without breaking down.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-08-2007, 02:58 AM

I can't help you out, I'm 99% sure that i'm allergic to Chevy...

post #10 of 19 Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM

For the amount of time and $ that making the 327 fit and get everything connected would take, you could have a decent crate motor instead, and everything would go together much more smoothly. Particularly since I don't get the impression that custom fabrication is one of your strong points (making up motor mounts and frame brackets is relatively easy).

Sure, it's do-able. But there's a huge amount more to any cross-make swap once you get into the smaller details. And you do have to solve every last one of those stinkers, one way or another. For example, I'm not convinced that just welding in any old thing that the Chevy mounts would fit up to would be in a place on the Mustang front structure that's able to withstand the load. The load paths are different, and the Mustang crossmember is much smaller than anything I've seen under a Chevy. Keep in mind that the SBC weighs about 100 lbs more than your 289, assuming the two engines are equal in terms of aluminum aftermarket pieces.

Norm

Mine: '08 GT, 5MT, black/light graphite, un-Fstock (DD, occasional track day)
Wife's: '10 Legacy 2.5GT (DD, six-speed manual)
Spare:'01 20AE Maxima, 5MT (also my bad weather alternate)
Various Loose Parts: '79 Malibu

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 08-08-2007 at 12:40 PM.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

It will start this weekend and I will post pictures when I'm done. I want my ford mustang reliable; I don't want it to over heat and break down. That is the whole reason I'm putting in the Chevy motor.
Look what happened to the last ford motor. It is a great boat anchor (no that would pollute the H2O) (H2O means water for all you ford guys).
post #12 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

I PROMIS I will not put a chevy motor in my FORD mustang. I have had several Mustangs and I would not do that to my Ford. It was just an idea because I have it laying around.
I have hunted down a 427 and I'm going to see if that will fit in with out to much modification.
I would not destroy my Ford Mustang with a chevy motor. I will post pictures so eveybody can see.
Thanks to all who gave me advice and the large list of to do's. I was just trying to get my pony on the road and drive her. I had a moment of insanity. Please give me.
post #13 of 19 Old 08-09-2007, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madodge68 View Post
I PROMIS I will not put a chevy motor in my FORD mustang. I have had several Mustangs and I would not do that to my Ford. It was just an idea because I have it laying around.
I have hunted down a 427 and I'm going to see if that will fit in with out to much modification.
I would not destroy my Ford Mustang with a chevy motor. I will post pictures so eveybody can see.
Thanks to all who gave me advice and the large list of to do's. I was just trying to get my pony on the road and drive her. I had a moment of insanity. Please give me.
427s, assuming you mean the FE big blocks, aren't going to fit without major mods. You'll have to take out the shock towers and redo the front suspension, for starters.

If you mean a 427 stroker (based off a 351w), then its doable. It'll be a torquey monster, but it'd be doable.

Glad to see you won't make a bastard child. I really don't have anything against Chevy's, and I'll be honest and say its apparent that while SBFs are great motors, SBCs are better (if only marginally so)... I've heard it said that the SBC pretty much powered the nation from the early 60s through and into the 80s, and you can't really argue with their performance (though a 351 cleveland with 4v heads is a better performer than a SBC, the 351c isn't a true small block... more like a small big block). But keep stuff in their place

66 Coupe, 351W w/ T5 (CF Dual Friction, Fidanza flywheel, Pro 5.0), Trick Flow heads, XE274H cam, Stealth, Holley 670, Heddman headers, Flow 40s, MSD 6A, Pertronix Ignitor, KYB Gas-A-Justs, 4.5 rear leafs, 3.25 9 inch Trac-Lok rearend, sway bars, shelby drop, fuzzy dice
post #14 of 19 Old 08-10-2007, 08:17 PM

Trader Feedback: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadbutTrue View Post
(though a 351 cleveland with 4v heads is a better performer than a SBC, the 351c isn't a true small block... more like a small big block).
Whatever you have to say to feel better about losing to a small block.....

Come to any 351c forum and try to say the Cleveland isn't a small block. We get sick of explaining the point. The only reason people refer to it as a big block is because the Chevy guys needed an excuse for getting slaughtered by a Ford.

Bore spacing is the same. Deck height is shorter than a 351w. Mains are smaller than a 351c. Cubic inches, stroke and bore, are the same as a 351w, smaller than a SBC 400. Heads can be bolted onto any small block, try bolting them on a big block.
post #15 of 19 Old 08-10-2007, 09:25 PM

Ford created the V8 with the flathead, chevy copied the design and made over 80 million sbc. the original 350 weighs about 200 lbs. more than the sbf. Have you seen the stamped steel timing covers on chevy's? Ford has a nice aluminum piece. how about their valve cover bolts? (4). The distributor is in the wrong spot and interferes with the radio. The spark plugs come straight out, Fords are angled for ease of installation/removal.
have you heard of the Cadillac northstar engine? its almost an exact copy of Fords modular 4.6...
A common rumor is that you can make more power with a chevy motor- not true. its only a 350 has more ci than a 289/302- if you compare to a Ford 351w theres no contest. open a performance parts catalogue (jegs, summit, etc.) and look at the price difference between Ford and Chevy engines- Fords make more power for less $$$, and they are a LOT more reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadbutTrue View Post
427s, assuming you mean the FE big blocks, aren't going to fit without major mods. You'll have to take out the shock towers and redo the front suspension, for starters.

If you mean a 427 stroker (based off a 351w), then its doable. It'll be a torquey monster, but it'd be doable.

Glad to see you won't make a bastard child. I really don't have anything against Chevy's, and I'll be honest and say its apparent that while SBFs are great motors, SBCs are better (if only marginally so)... I've heard it said that the SBC pretty much powered the nation from the early 60s through and into the 80s, and you can't really argue with their performance (though a 351 cleveland with 4v heads is a better performer than a SBC, the 351c isn't a true small block... more like a small big block). But keep stuff in their place

post #16 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 04:29 PM

Garage
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by madodge68 View Post
...2. I know it will get me from place to place without breaking down.
HMM, I hear people all the time saying sh*t like this, it makes me wonder if they know how to take care of their stuff, I had a 1991 GT hatch that I regularly thrashed both on the road and at the track and it had a 168,000 miles on the original 302. The only reason I don't have it anymore is some lady not paying attention ran into me totaling the car. I also have 1974 F-250 still running the original 360 with 148,000 miles and it never has given me any trouble. I will give you this, if you don't want to do oil changes and tune-ups, chitty is the way to go.

1969 Fastback
351W
GT40P heads
E303 Cam
Edelbrock 600 4bbl carb
Edelbrock performer intake
MSD 6AL
MSD Pro-billet distributer
MSD Blaster 3 Coil
T-5 Manual Trans
RRS Coil over strut front suspension
RRS Power Rack and Pinion steering system
post #17 of 19 Old 08-22-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Fastback View Post
HMM, I hear people all the time saying sh*t like this, it makes me wonder if they know how to take care of their stuff, I had a 1991 GT hatch that I regularly thrashed both on the road and at the track and it had a 168,000 miles on the original 302. The only reason I don't have it anymore is some lady not paying attention ran into me totaling the car. I also have 1974 F-250 still running the original 360 with 148,000 miles and it never has given me any trouble. I will give you this, if you don't want to do oil changes and tune-ups, chitty is the way to go.
I beleive that any rebuilt engine is going to be reliable and I'm pretty sure that's all that was implied.

65 Vert w/ 17x8 Bullits 245/45/17zr, shelby drop, 620's 1" drop coils & 5 Leaf-mid eye, Koni's, 600cfm holly, edelbrock performer intake, Hipo exhaust w/ Super Turbos.
post #18 of 19 Old 09-01-2007, 08:52 AM

Sell that 327 and use the money to put toward a nice 351W, you'll have a lot less headaches, trust me.
post #19 of 19 Old 04-28-2017, 12:57 PM

I love fords but fasts of it are,for the size of the engine chevy will get you more HP ,a 400sbc or any sbc will fit just as they do in a 62-67 nova ,at less cost than it would take to put a winsor in a 65 falcon or whatever I realize this is an old post, but im was looking because i have a 65 falcon wagon and unless someone trades me a nova wagon which isnt going to happen its either getting an FE at a cost of near `1500 for just the kit from crites or a simple swap to LS or sbc, its a fact the ford dosnt build an engine like the LS, the ones they do like the coyote are just to big and do not last, the LS and sbc have proven they make good power for there size and price,a few header mods and at the most an after market vega or nova pan, maybe rack and pinion and its done friends i know the build C4 and make HP have issues and there getting hard to find,nobody can seem to get rid of that C4 high gear flair which ends up destroying the trans if not fixed someone trade me a nova before i do this
oh and putting a windsor in a 65 mustang yes it bolts right in but headers are 425 at crites and still take mods so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement