Scott rod inner fender questions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-23-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Scott rod inner fender questions

What did you guys do where the panel overlaps the cars existing metal. My concern is itís going to trap any condensation and rust over time?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-23-2019, 10:49 PM

Trader Feedback: (13)
Good question. I'm following this.

post #3 of 9 Old 02-23-2019, 11:13 PM

Trader Feedback: (36)
That was one of my concerns when I did mine. I originally was going to leave the stock inner panels but decided to cut them out for this reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-23-2019, 11:38 PM

Trader Feedback: (8)
If you left the inside bare metal, yes you could face some corrosion as the Scott panel come bare metal. Prime the inside of the Scott panels before you install is what most do. I didn’t see any reason to cut up my car, under my panels was still good shape paint wise. If you cut your only adding more work to an already big job.

90 Coupe Coyote Aluminator XS Swapped, AED tuned, Team Z / Maximum Motorsport, Kooks full 3" stainless, Hanlon Prepped TKO, Weld Alumastars, BBS RK, A/C and Heat, etc,etc.
Instagram @ foxyote
post #5 of 9 Old 02-23-2019, 11:49 PM

Should have added that I primed and painted the backside of the panels before welding them in. There are two different views regarding cutting the inner panels that I have seem. The ones that cut them feel that you are already modifying your car by welding these panels in place and if there are 2 layers of metal anywhere on a car, dirt, water etc WILL find its way in. The other view is that you can use the inner panel to help with wire tucks etc. and that they didnt want to "cut their car". Even thought the panels are permanent. Either way as long as you take all the precautions that you would when welding/modifying your car, you should be fine. They are a ton of work.... but sure look amazing!!
post #6 of 9 Old 02-25-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Thanks for the feedback guys
post #7 of 9 Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 PM

Trader Feedback: (18)
On a customer's car that got rotted out frame rails replaced I seam sealed all around the Scott Rod panels. Most of the fender apron on both sides was cut out but still had factory metal to overlap & figured seam sealing would give it a chance of not rusting all to hell plus it made the edges look a little smoother than just 2 pieces of metal sandwiched together

93 Alloy Metallic Coupe In Progress

306, Fully Ported Twisted Wedges, Holley Systemax, Comp Cam Pro Mags & Custom Grind, PA Racing Tubular K, MM A Arms, MM Coilovers, Tokico D Specs, Cobra Brakes & Black Bullitts
post #8 of 9 Old 03-01-2019, 06:34 PM

Havent seen that before pretty good idea. I ended up taking the very time consuming route and welded mine all the way around instead of just spot welding in a few spots. Your way would be WAY faster!!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM

Trader Feedback: (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbibb View Post
Havent seen that before pretty good idea. I ended up taking the very time consuming route and welded mine all the way around instead of just spot welding in a few spots. Your way would be WAY faster!!
I did plan on welding them all the way around but like you said, its very time consuming. I ended up doing a weld every couple inches before putting the seam sealer down and a couple years later it all still seems to be holding up pretty good.

93 Alloy Metallic Coupe In Progress

306, Fully Ported Twisted Wedges, Holley Systemax, Comp Cam Pro Mags & Custom Grind, PA Racing Tubular K, MM A Arms, MM Coilovers, Tokico D Specs, Cobra Brakes & Black Bullitts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement