Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum (https://forums.corral.net/forums/)
-   The Body Shop (https://forums.corral.net/forums/body-shop/)
-   -   Foxbody hatch closing issues (https://forums.corral.net/forums/body-shop/2485338-foxbody-hatch-closing-issues.html)

H.P.J 01-03-2019 11:57 AM

Foxbody hatch closing issues

2 Attachment(s)
What’s up guys, want to say thanks in advance for any help, my problem is as title states, my hatch doesn’t close right, i put a new striker and bushing, and new weather strip, have spent couple hours messing with the hinges and the striker, and it still doesn’t close right, it’s driving me nuts, it closes, there’s just a gap by the tail lights that I don’t like and you can push on it there’s an inch or 2 before the hatch bump stop hits the car, if I adjust the striker any lower the latch doesn’t hook it, I feel like it’s getting caught up by the hinges on the weather strip, it closes perfect without the weather strip, but the hatch lines up with the hood nice, I even tried making cardboard spacers for the hatch hinges, and although I think it made a difference, it’s still bad, I keep messing with it idk what the deal is with this thing, I’m about to start doing the body work to paint it and want it perfect, again thanks in advance for any help

Hp-j

tjm73 01-03-2019 12:42 PM

And inch or 2 sounds like an exaggeration. But yeah what is shown in the pics would bug me too. Has the car ever been in an accident? Does the gap grow from the roof as you follow it down to the taillights or is it consistent?

H.P.J 01-03-2019 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjm73 (Post 18519622)
And inch or 2 sounds like an exaggeration. But yeah what is shown in the pics would bug me too. Has the car ever been in an accident? Does the gap grow from the roof as you follow it down to the taillights or is it consistent?

Yea inch or is exaggeration I guess haha, the gap gets bigger as it goes down, car has never been crashed, I had ordered new hinges from lmr and they got here today, ima put them on and see what happens, I’m almost sure it’s not the hinges but I figured you what the heck

H.P.J 01-05-2019 11:30 AM

Question, does the hatch locking mechanism(or latch) have 2 steps or 1? Meaning like the doors, you can Click it once, door is closed but not all the way, click it a second time the door is tightly closed, anybody? My hatch latch only has one click, and won’t close all the way no matter what, I have installed new striker bushing new weather stripping and new hinges, still same problem, I’m starting to think my latch is f’d, if it helps any im missing the lock cylinder on the hatch, thanks in advance

88mikestangLX 02-12-2019 09:46 AM

The tolerances on these cars were crap. Without custom metalwork, does the hatch even close better than that?
Mine is not on the car so I can't check.

Your gap looks even down the side.

indy2000 04-24-2019 01:45 PM

Screw the bumpers in

Mustang408 04-24-2019 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy2000 (Post 18552306)
Screw the bumpers in

That's an idiotic reply.

Maybe your plastic bushing on the latch catch pin is broken off. Or, you could adjust the whole trunk catch mechanism on the body lower.

indy2000 04-24-2019 03:02 PM

It’s a hatch!!, idiotic reply with trunk!

Again, adjust the bumpers on the hatch

stangmike86gt 05-17-2019 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indy2000 (Post 18552326)
Itís a hatch!!, idiotic reply with trunk!

Again, adjust the bumpers on the hatch

that was going to be my suggestion too, but he says he can push it down then it will hit the bump stops. So, didn't sound like the stops to me.

did you try lowering the stryker and giving her the ol' slamarama...if you're able to push it down that much you should be able to lower the stryker and have it still catch.

indy2000 05-17-2019 02:37 PM

boring day?

there are two opposing forces

the striker and the bumpers, that is what keeps it tight

adjust as needed, this aint tough!

terryr 05-30-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.P.J (Post 18519616)
... I feel like itís getting caught up by the hinges on the weather strip, it closes perfect without the weather strip, but the hatch lines up with the hood nice, I even tried making cardboard spacers for the hatch hinges, and although I think it made a difference, itís still bad,...

Hp-j

My hatch vibrated so bad paint would chip of the edges. The car had factory spacers under the hinges and I screwed around with washers as well.

The stock rubber bumpers were squished down, and I found K cars had longer rubber bumpers and screwed into place.

Are the struts interfering?

[That hatch was heavy as hell to hold and adjust, especially with the wiper motor.]