Recommend a high quality paint gun - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
CSG

Trader Feedback: (18)
Recommend a high quality paint gun

Thinking if replacing my gun. I know almost nothing about what is on the market today. I only paint my own stuff & not that often. I would prefer a gun that I could use for both base & clear but am not dead set on that. I do not have to have the newest, very best gun, but do want very high quality. I am looking for some experienced opinions please. I also do not know where the market stands as far as waterborn paints. Do I need a gun that is compatible? I don't want to buy something that I can't get paint for in a few years.

Thanks, Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Trader Feedback: (0)
how often are you going to be painting?
i use a sata 1.4 HC
i use it everyday for both base and clear. take it apart about once a week and clean it real good and it sprays like brand new.
however i do not remember if mine is waterborn capable. i'd have to look it up in the manual.
Price $580 (no idea how i ended up getting it this cheap. especaially as it is a Heart and Soul edition)

post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2012, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
CSG

Depending on how much I wreck the race car I'll probably paint a car every couple years and a fender here and there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 12:24 AM

i'd prolly check out "DeVillbiss" or "Finex" if thats all your going to be painting, as long as you give your gun a good clean after use it should last a long time and no need to spend lots of money on one.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 AM

Trader Feedback: (10)
Garage
-- Professional Painter by trade The Iwata's are nice Sata I don't like where the Fan adjustment is Had one sprayed excellent but My finger kept hittin it, Im currently using a Binks M1G spent about $320 for it sprays just as good as my anest supernova perfer the handle more also for comfort. Painting is more skill then what gun you use. You can go out and buy the best gun money can buy but if your not that good of a painting the job will come out like chit. Honestly Go look at the Binks M1G 1.4 tip perfect for base/clear good for waterborne paints also
post #6 of 10 Old 10-17-2012, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
CSG

I am certainly not a pro painter but I manage to turn out pretty nice work through meticulous prep, slow painting & cutting/buffing. Since I do not have a proper booth I will be cutting everything I spray except the race car. I am leaning towards the Iwata 400 right now. I appreciate everyone's help, please keep it coming.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-21-2012, 06:14 PM

After 20 years with my old Sharpe, I bought a new gun last year. I've tried various HVLP guns and didn't like them. I'm sure there are good ones out there, I just hadn't used one and I didn't want to buy something I didn't end up liking. Since I was used to the old siphon feed conventional gun, I decided on the Satajet 4000B RP Digital. It puts out quite a bit of material so it I didn't have to learn a whole new technique to make it work for me. I only use it half a dozen times a year so while it is expensive for that little amount of use, it got me good results much quicker than a different gun might have.

SATAjet® 4000 B RP (DIGITAL) | SATA.COM

'67 notchback 289 Mustang - first car.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-24-2012, 01:37 PM

You really need to know what basecoat you are going to use before you choose the proper gun, especially with waterborne basecoats. Coverage, mil thickness, orientation, color, overall appearance, etc.. are all dependant on having the approved gun for the material you are working with.

There are some waterborne basecoats that recommend a HVLP gun, others recommend compliant guns like the SATA RP mentioned above. If you know what materials you prefer/are comfortable with, look for the manufacturer recommendations for that product. Matching the proper gun with the material you are using greatly benefits the final appearance. You do need a gun that is waterborne compatible, most are at this point(stainless needle, coated passages, outer coatings to help with cleaning/corrosion resistance).

I would recommend the same approach for clear. I have six different clears in my mixing room infront of me right now, they all have different recommendations for tip/nozzle size, HVLP/compliant, flash times, bake temperature etc... To achieve the desired appearance and longevity I always try and follow all recommendations from the manufacturer as close as possible.

It is possible to find one gun that will work for you for both base and clear, just might take a bit of homework. If you can try a gun before you buy one that always helps. If you are used to the conventional guns like "Dennis" spoke about above, I would recommend spraying with an IWATA before you buy one. They are great guns, but they are probably also the farthest thing away from what you are accustomed to.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
CSG

That is good information that I did not consider all of before. Currently I have a Devilbiss GFHV-501. Other then my primer gun this is all I have sprayed with. I am considering using the 501 for base and getting a new clear gun. I really don't know what to expect, maybe I should just keep using the 501 for everything?? If cutting and buffing are going to be done anyway is there a big advantage to a newer gun assuming mine is compatible with the paint requirements?
post #10 of 10 Old 07-07-2018, 10:34 PM

I know this an old post, but did you decide to keep using 501 ?
I obtained a new 501 gun.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement