Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum (https://forums.corral.net/forums/)
-   Audio (https://forums.corral.net/forums/audio/)
-   -   Fox Body Speaker Upgrade (https://forums.corral.net/forums/audio/2490022-fox-body-speaker-upgrade.html)

PearlWhiteGT 04-23-2019 09:17 AM

Fox Body Speaker Upgrade

I'm looking to upgrade my old worn factory speakers with some budget replacements. I have a older Kenwood deck in there that will stay for now. Are the rear speakers on the hatch 5x7? If so, will a 6x8 fit in the same location without and modifications? I believe the door speakers are 5 1/4 and wondering if a 6" will fit without any mods. Anyone have any recommendations on speakers that are less than $75 for the pair so $150 max for the rears and doors. I'll upgrade the dash ones a little later.

tirefryr 05-04-2019 10:33 PM

The rears are indeed 5x7 and 6x8s will not drop right in. Honestly, I would not worry about the rears at all. The front speakers are 6.5". I would suggest taking your budget for the rears and just getting better fronts with an amplifier. I would shop used with your budget.

PearlWhiteGT 05-06-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tirefryr (Post 18554866)
The rears are indeed 5x7 and 6x8s will not drop right in. Honestly, I would not worry about the rears at all. The front speakers are 6.5". I would suggest taking your budget for the rears and just getting better fronts with an amplifier. I would shop used with your budget.

My stock fronts do not look like 6.5". Are you sure that they are that size? What does it take to drop in 6x8s?

Patrick Olsen 05-06-2019 02:48 PM

I'm pretty sure you're right, the stock door speakers are 5-1/4", but you can put 6-1/2"s in there without much work. I've got 6-1/2s in mine and I don't recall doing anything other than maybe drilling new holes for the mounting screws. As I recall, you have to be a bit careful with how deep the speakers are, as the doors don't have a ton of room for speakers with big magnets. In the past I've used Crutchfield's database for figuring out what will fit.

As for the rears, there are plenty of speakers that are marketed as both 5x7" and 6x8", with two sets of mounting tabs. I don't see any reason why those wouldn't drop right in. Big magnets may again be an issue - I've seen posts here on Corral that said a seatbelt bracket might interfere.

For budget, I don't think you'll have any issue finding good speakers (new) for $75/pair. Doesn't sound to me like you're looking to create an audiophile type setup, you just want to replace your 30-year-old speakers with something new. When I put new speakers in my little beater Subaru about 18 months ago, I picked up two sets of 6-1/2s at Best Buy - Pioneers and Kickers, both on big time mark-down. As I recall they were like 50% off and 70% off. I don't think either pair cost me $75.

tirefryr 05-07-2019 08:06 PM

I assure you, all Fox bodies that had door speakers from 84+ have 6.5" drivers in the doors. Mustang, T-bird, Cougar, Mark, LTD, etc. . .

As for the rears, you can find drivers that are marketed as 5x7/6x8. These are essentially a 5x7 with additional mounting holes that fit 6x8 mounts. Some are slightly larger so they will not fit a traditional 5x7 opening.

Tom.S760 05-08-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tirefryr (Post 18555502)
I assure you, all Fox bodies that had door speakers from 84+ have 6.5" drivers in the doors. Mustang, T-bird, Cougar, Mark, LTD, etc. . .

As for the rears, you can find drivers that are marketed as 5x7/6x8. These are essentially a 5x7 with additional mounting holes that fit 6x8 mounts. Some are slightly larger so they will not fit a traditional 5x7 opening.

I am pretty sure stock (from the factory) were indeed 5 1/4" door speakers. Many people replaced them with 6 1/2" speakers and I believe you can get away with putting in 2 or maybe 3 screws.

I wouldn't call it correct installations, but many people have different definitions of correct AND installed :lol:

PearlWhiteGT 05-09-2019 09:02 AM

Thanks fellas, at this moment anything will be better than my old blown out speakers. I just need a little sound to come out of them to enjoy some music on long drives over my exhaust. No need for a amp or subs.

Kool Rock Steady 05-09-2019 04:30 PM

I just did some 6.5 in doors and new 3.5 up front and 6x9 in rear. All Infinity. 6.5 and 3.5 gotta make sure they will fit. not all will fit.

toddturbo 05-12-2019 08:57 AM

I did the same thing BUT not all 6.5 will fit. You have to be especially careful with the depth. KRS, you put 6x9 in hatch back or coupe? I ain't done the rears on my GT yet...did component 6 1/2 in the doors, and component 3" tweeters in the dash. Just those two alone (without the rears) makes a HUGE difference in the quality of sound.

thadude 05-12-2019 04:25 PM

https://www.parts-express.com/cat/wo...%5D&PortalID=1

You might start there, I have the Dayton and Tang brands in my BMW and theyíve been great.

5.0carlo 05-31-2019 10:04 PM

I replaced all the speakers in my coupe with Pioneers. Keep in mind though most foxes have had their factory amp removed by now. You will need one to power the speakers as the headunit won’t get you too much volume and clarity. I just bought a small class D 4 channel amp to power my
Rear and door speakers. I’m going to power the dash speakers off the headunit.

5.0carlo 05-31-2019 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pardon the horrible handwriting but these are the ones I used and some of their specs.

Kool Rock Steady 06-01-2019 01:45 AM

Keep in mind the front speakers and door speakers are on same channel so you would have to run separate wires if you wanted head unit to power dash speakers

5.0carlo 06-02-2019 09:53 PM

I could have sworn my dash and door speakers already had seperate wiring when I installed the head unit but thanks for the tip. I’ll make sure and keep that in mind.