Upfiring subs in Fox convertible - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 11-16-2014, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Upfiring subs in Fox convertible

I've searched for the past couple hours and have not found any answers, so I thought I would go ahead and ask in case anyone else is wondering.

1987 Mustang convertible is the car. Polk components in the doors and dash, OEM speakers in the rear are going to be replaced soon. I want to add some bass but I want to maintain use of the trunk and not have to worry about punching holes in speakers or scratching amps, etc.

What I'm thinking about here is two to four 8" subs firing up through the convertible top well. Box design could be sealed or ported depending on airspace requirements. I don't want to cut the top well liner since the car is cosmetically stock aside from wheels and the Pioneer AVIC D-1 in the dash.

My top has a glass window in it and I am a little concerned about movement and breaking it. Is there much chance of this happening? The enclosure would be very tight against the top well and I can almost see this becoming a problem, even with 8" subs. Anyone have any thoughts to offer on this?

I don't want to lose the spare and I'll occasionally use the car for roadtrips with the family once I get all the issues sorted out. Seeing as how trunk space is already limited, I can't justify giving any more up than necessary.

Thanks, all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
best option is the spare tire well. can't have your cake and eat it too

93 Notch -
Dart Block 347 Holley Dominator EFI
7675 Precision Turbo with an AOD
post #3 of 6 Old 11-18-2014, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Rock Steady View Post
best option is the spare tire well. can't have your cake and eat it too

To express how little I want to use the spare tire well, I'd rather not have a subwoofer at all. Being able to actually use the trunk as storage is not negotiable here. I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig. I'll get to it when I get to it. I've far too many things to sort out before I even think about subs and an amp anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 01-06-2015, 10:47 PM

Trader Feedback: (19)
I designed and built a box some years ago for 2 kicker 8's that fired downward (ported box), and fit entirely under where the top folds up. was approx. 3/4-1" off of the "floor" of the trunk. ports fired towards the back. basically looked like a trapezoid with the woofers pointing down and had "feet" keeping the bottom of box where speakers were mounted off the floor.

I wish I had some pictures of it as I have another 93 vert and want to do a similar box again. I may use a single Kicker L7 this time, or do another solobaric 12 in the spare tire well.

~~Project OMG RUKIDN ME?~~
built aod, 03 Mach I rims, Pony Down Stage 3 Kit,Tokico 5 way illumina's, Systemax upper/lower,indiglo gauges, Pa 130 amp alt., various phantom gauges, 331 B50 Block, Forged internals,TFS stage 2 heads/cam and 4 doors of FUN in a 79 Ford Fairmont
post #5 of 6 Old 02-05-2015, 12:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
sub in vert

I have 2 tens under the top in the well and the amps and cap mounted on a vertical board in the trunk I am out of town but I can post some pics when I get home
post #6 of 6 Old 03-19-2019, 11:18 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92droptop View Post
I have 2 tens under the top in the well and the amps and cap mounted on a vertical board in the trunk I am out of town but I can post some pics when I get home
Did you ever make it home? Let's see those pics

93 Notch -
Dart Block 347 Holley Dominator EFI
7675 Precision Turbo with an AOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement