Ford Mustang Forums banner

doin a twin turbo setup on sn95 need advice

913 views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  GT4788mm 
#1 ·
i am currently building a 347 with forged internals in my 95 mustang gt. engine is gonna be estimated to be about 425 to 450 to flywheel. i just recently bought a twin turbo setup and is needing some headups or advice on doin this deal. also i am not sure how much pain is involved and how much money ill be looking at to throw into this twin turbo setup. any help will be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Not sure what you are asking but I would say go ahead and open up your wallet. If the motor alone is going to make 425hp then adding a twin setup is really going to make some great power. Obviously this will depend on the twin turbo's size and piping. You have to think about fuel to support it and ignition and then some kind of tuning aid. Give us the details on the twin setup and the motor combination?

#3 ·
as far as motor i have crower h beam rods, diamond -20 cc dishtop pistons 40 over. crower forged crank, main girdle and arp bolts on bottom end. set of alumunim trickflows with 2.02 valves. edelbrock rpm performer 2 upper and lower intake. having custom grind cam made for my setup. best detail for twin turbo i got is i have a/r 63 on exhaust side and a/r 50 on beauty side. my pipin is 3 inches in diameter. i plan to run msd timing control module for the turbo setup and have the fuel delivery fig out as well at least i believe lol.

#5 ·
not sure how that would be an advice. . the bottom end is for to handle more power which is a no brainer. the upper is where im getting the power which isnt gonna be the same as a stock motor unless you go thru it which ur better off to get alumunim heads versus stock heads when it comes to getting more reliable power and having an aftermarket upper intake and lower for better flow which again stock isnt gonna beat unless you tamper with it. but the main point of this thread is to see what i gotta do to get the turbo setup goin on this motor. this is my first time dealing a setup like this. im wanting to get 10 psi out of the setup for now.

#6 ·
The bottom end on the stock shortblock is perfectly capable of handling more than the block itself can handle. Adding all of this...

as far as motor i have crower h beam rods, diamond -20 cc dishtop pistons 40 over. crower forged crank, main girdle and arp bolts on bottom end. having custom grind cam made for my setup.
... is just pissing away your hard earned money. If the stock short-block has good compression, just use it as is. At the most I'd throw in some moly rings and get the block cleaned/checked as well as honed. Throw in some new cam bearings while your at it and that's it! There is no need to stroke it, no need for new rods/pistons, no need for a girdle and no need for a custom cam. A stock short-block with the top end you plan on throwing on it will lay down an easy 500+rwhp at 10psi.

The 347 you plan on doing will not last long with 10psi and the likely 600-650rwhp it will lay down. To top it off, when the block splits....you are going to possibly trash that rotating assembly (yes, even with the girdle).

#8 ·
the plan of doin the dart block with the setup was actually planned just down the road. i came across a buddy on the deal with all the bottom end #### i just said cept the piston for 600 bucks includin the block as well. so... as far as pissin my money away i would say i didnt piss too much lol. i would like to see the darn thing out this year so i was gonna push the block but not enough to cause damage once again on the turbo setup i am not quite familiar on it. if i have to run 6-8 psi to be pushing the limit and not over ill do so. im sure ill be happy with that if i can pull it off. let me know if im talking stupid lol. anyone done the TT on a 94 or 95 mustang? if so let me know the pain or things i need to do that you wont know till you did one. thanks

#9 ·
I'm thinking more along the lines of 4-6psi if you are looking at keeping things somewhat safe. Again, 8psi on a stock shortblock with that top end will lay down an honest 500rwhp.

#11 ·
lol yikes didnt know the true power of doin a TT. darn thing been sitting getting a paint job done and now its in the front of my house just staring at me waitin to be running lol. like mistreatin favorite pet or something. i guess the smart thing would be to wait but heck you guys have been in my slight impatience shoes im sure lol. got ppl to shut down and shut up haha

#12 ·
ok so im gonna be a smart fella and hold off till i get a dart block. im not so sure about running the turbos i have seein that they have no brand to them. ive heard alot about the precision turbos and was wondering which one i should do for my setup if i go off and change turbos. also i dont want to risk the "boost creep" and heard those are commonly caused by the wastegates being too small. i dont have a clue what size or even how to tell what the ones i have are. any advice?

#13 ·
Heres the bottom line.............you really need to find someone preferably locally..who has the ability to put a tune on this car.... and guide you the rest of the way.......if you dont then you are gettin way over youre head......turbos are definately the way to go .......if youre using a stock block keep the power to 450ish at the rear wheels...you will be fine with using the stock computer with a chip no more than about 12 psi... bigger injectors and fuel pump and lines......try not to use any FMU .......anymore and youre looking at full standalone engine management ie FAST ....BIG STUFF.....more than 450ish RWHP on a stock block and youre driving a real time bomb.....................AND NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO WITH TWINS....THEY ARE TWICE THE FUN BUT FOR YOURE SITUATION YOU WOULD BE BETTER WITH A SINGLE TURBO....PREFERABLY FROM HELLION OR TTI...BOLT ON KIT.....STICK WITH GARRET OR PRECISION TURBOS
hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.