Ford Mustang Forums banner

bad rear lower control arms?? help

7K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Phantom5oh 
#1 · (Edited)
I just had to replace my rear upper control arms. Everytime i stepped on the gas and let off and going over bumps I could hear the passenger rear control arm bang around. I have tubular uppers now with poly bushings. Funny thing is that the old upper arms look alright, the rubber is worn out but not broken I dont understand how it was banging around. The new tubular uppers fixed the banging 100%. But now one problem ive been having is still there. Wheel hop and lots of it that i can't stand. It seems to be coming from only the rear passenger side. I looked at all the torque boxes and felt them, nothing was torn or seperated or loose. Now if i take a simple right turn the right rear of the car shudders like small wheep hop. But if i take a left turn no wheep hop and the right side is completely smooth. My mods are a spool, subframe connectors weld in, eibach drag launch springs, and new shocks/struts all around including the quads, and new tubular upper arms. Is it possible that my lower arm, especially the passenger side, is damaged in some way? It is the passenger rear side of the car that wheel hops like mad, and i tried different psi settings in the airbag and nothing helped. Even rotated the driveshaft. Visually you can't see if theres any damage in the rubber. Because i saw no damage whatsoever in the upper arms, yet they were banging around. The car does have alot of mileage on it. About 180,000 miles for a 95. I have been slowly replacing all the suspension with high performance parts / poly bushings so it will hook. This is very irritating. The wheel hop makes me very unhappy and unsatisfied, i almost want to get rid of it. The engine is so powerful with its mods yet can't even hook in 2nd gear whatsoever.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had a similar clunking problem but very little wheel hop. I pulled the upper and lower control arms and replaced with some Mac control arms. Lower are fixed and uppers are adjustable. I also removed my quad shocks. My car hooked really well and NO WHEEL hop whatsoever. In fact, my original stock posi clutches only lasted a couple of weeks.

#3 ·
Its amazing, because im looking at my old upper arms now. And yeah they are cracked. But stick a screw driver thru the sleeve and you can deflect the rubber big time. I still can't see how this was making a banging sound, because it should still absorb. But hell, it doesn't. Im loving the new tubular upper arms. Now I guess I have to replace my lowers. They are no doubt in the same condition, which until they are actually out of the car, only then i'll be able to see how bad the rubber actually deflects. Our 5.0s have too much torque from the factory, lol. All the bushings are worn, but the only things taking the abuse is the right side of the suspension since the right side takes all the beating because of how torque twists a straight axle.

#5 · (Edited)
Its the spool... it isn't letting the tires turn at different speeds in the corners...

Think about it this way when you take a right turn the left (outside) tire has to travel around a larger arc then the right (inside) tire. To travel that larger arc the outside tire has to spin faster then the inside tire, because of the spool they are forced to travel at the same speed, so one of them has to slip on the ground... in your case it is the right side that is slipping... it is actually rotating faster then it needs to and thus slipping causing the wheel hop

#6 ·
Its not logical for my spool to be causing the problem, because I know guys that run spools on their stock suspension and dont get any problems whatsoever. The fact that I have a spool and the tires are locked means that if the spool was a problem, the right wheel wouldn't be the only wheel hopping around when i take a turn whether it be left or right. Both would wheel hop. And when I floor it going straight only my right wheel hops around. The rear control arm bushings are shot. I looked at it the other day and i could twist the lower control arm and saw the bushing deflect and seperate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.