To LED, or it to LED. That is the question. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (28)
To LED, or it to LED. That is the question.

Cost aside, should the turn signals, brake lights, etc. be left incandescent since they're "correct" (similar to the "horizontals-only" mindset), or stuff that and change to LED because they're brighter and better?

'95 GT Vert - Rio Red - Grey Leather - Black Top

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 09:09 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
if you find the right bulbs, you should do LED, just based on elec power reduction which is substantial

I went from 18amps to less than 2amps

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #3 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I won't do headlights and fogs, but that *is* another practical reason to do it. I'm leaning toward using Sylvania's ZEVO series. They work well in my F150's tails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 09:21 AM

Trader Feedback: (7)
Garage
I've read SO many reviews of infant failure and/or poor performance that I've given up on the idea.

I had previously bought some of the name-brand bulbs at Autozone to help people see the low-down brake lights in my T-Bucket. Pffft, fail - they don't have uniform distribution of light so it depends on the lenses and internal reflectors in each particular application. You won't know until you try if a bulb, which is essentially a bunch of flashlights aimed in different directions, will work for you. And if you try to get away with cheapo no-name China units, well you get what you pay for. I'm still out. As noted above who posted while I was posting, if you know of a bulb that works in a particular application, then maybe give it a try.

'87 20th Anniversary Cougar - 428W - Cougar 7.0
?

2012 GT500
post #5 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 09:36 AM

Trader Feedback: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickVert View Post
I won't do headlights and fogs, but that *is* another practical reason to do it. I'm leaning toward using Sylvania's ZEVO series. They work well in my F150's tails.
I did not do headlights or fogs.

just signals, running and brake lights

I used philips

there is a thread going on with pics of the differences between various bulbs

89 GT gr-40, KB2200(10psi), tweecer R/T,LC-1, 22gal cell, w/tailpipes.
post #6 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougar5.O View Post
I've read SO many reviews of infant failure and/or poor performance that I've given up on the idea.

I had previously bought some of the name-brand bulbs at Autozone to help people see the low-down brake lights in my T-Bucket. Pffft, fail - they don't have uniform distribution of light so it depends on the lenses and internal reflectors in each particular application. You won't know until you try if a bulb, which is essentially a bunch of flashlights aimed in different directions, will work for you. And if you try to get away with cheapo no-name China units, well you get what you pay for. I'm still out. As noted above who posted while I was posting, if you know of a bulb that works in a particular application, then maybe give it a try.
The cheap-o bulbs typically do have a high failure rate. I know this from experience. Several chips will burn out, or, in the case of the panels I installed in my dome light housing, they throw back to the 70's disco era and begin flashing and flickering randomly. As you also found, some are better at light distribution than others, The ones that concentrate chips on the end don't use the reflectors, for instance, and create hot spots. The ZEVO bulbs look weird, but seem to work well. They also have a lifetime warranty (from a company you can actually contact).

post #7 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 11:14 AM

Garage
Quote:
... The ZEVO bulbs look weird, but seem to work well. They also have a lifetime warranty (from a company you can actually contact).

I mean, you got my interest, but 17-19% 1-star ratings, most something like this:

Quote:
This is not the first set of ZEVO bulbs i have purchased, but it is the first set I have purchase online rather than in the auto parts store.

The quality of these bulbs compared to the bulbs purchased in store, make me question if these are genuine Sylvania bulbs.
The light output is not similar, the fitment of the bulb parts are loose, the plastic section appears to be of different/lesser quality material, and the give away kicker that these are not genuine bulbs IMO, is the bulbs DO NOT clock properly in the bulb socket, for proper reflection of the light output on the reflectors. This is not a mistake that a company like Sylvania makes.

These may be genuine Sylvania bulbs, and if they are, the quality has gone down considerably.
To some these are simply fancy LED bulbs, but improper output, improper clocking, and poor quality become safety concerns for the end user, regardless of their "for offroad use only" label.

I personally am disappointed in the product completely, considering the other 2 ZEVO bulbs i have installed currently (from the auto parts store) are so bright they light up a significant section of the road behind you, and the turn signal/brake function makes the light hard to miss, even in broad daylight, but these ZEVO bulbs (purchased thru amazon) are like comparing a candle to the sun its so much of a stark difference in light output.
I can't take the risk, I just can't.

?

2012 GT500
post #8 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

I think the key to this whole review is "... make(s) me question if these are genuine Sylvania bulbs." No complaints with the ones I've used.

post #9 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
I think the key to this whole review is "... make(s) me question if these are genuine Sylvania bulbs." No complaints with the ones I've used.
Agreed, I figured "forgeries", then I read this review:

Quote:
I have been using and recommending the Original Style of these (Pic Included) for 2-3 years now. Exceeded my expectations in every way. I have never seen a vehicle LED bulb be so perfectly white. The light output was evenly distributed and the brightness was excellent. Unfortunately Sylvania has redesigned the bulb and Ruined them.

The new design doesn't provide 360 light output like the old style and are not as bright or as white. The odd way the LED's are aimed towards the base of the bulb itself causes it to glow like a lampshade and my turn signal enclosure to emit a very soft light. The difference in brightness between Solid and Flashing is only about 20% which is especially awful during the day. These are junk and going back today. I wish Sylvania didn't go a ruin a good thing.

?

2012 GT500
post #10 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

The old design was that of a "barrel" like many of the eBay ones I see now. The new design is, indeed, completely different.

I was skeptical that these would work, and can see how they might not do well in some housings, but these really are very good in the truck. It will be interesting to see how they perform in the Mustang.

Actually, I just looked at Sylvania's lookup guide, and the Mustang and truck use the same bulb. It may be time for an experiment.

Last edited by TrickVert; Yesterday at 04:00 PM.
post #11 of 11 Unread Today, 02:35 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Hmm, I'm liking this thread!

Mustang Preference: (Favorite to least Favorite):
94-98's
. 05+ Stangs
. A tie for 03-04 Mach 1's and 4 eyed Foxes
. Pre-80's Mustangs.
2 Eyed Foxes and New Edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement