Ford Mustang Forums banner

Another "Fox Valve Covers" Thread

8K views 61 replies 15 participants last post by  TrickVert 
#1 ·
Another "Fox Valve Covers" Thread - Year Differences

I had my passenger-side VC off to replace the gasket, and have a rocker kissing the cover again. I've been able to massage things in the past to get them to clear, but am getting tired of the precision fitment needed every time a cover gets pulled off, so I'm considering going with a set of Fox covers.

I've read several threads both here and elsewhere proclaiming everything from "They fit without modification" to "They fit but you have to grind them here, and grind them there, and replace the baffle, and re-weld the filler neck..."

I *think* the difference comes from people using 87-92 covers vs. those from a '93.

What I've pieced together:

1) In the '93 Fox covers, it looks like Ford removed the vertical "ribs" along the sides inside the covers which people have indicated need to be ground down on others. These seem to have an "F2" or "F2A"stamp inside, as well(?).

2) It appears that the oil filler neck on some covers ('93 again?) is closer to the front of the valve cover than others. This might explain why some clear the TB and others don't?

These two factors might be determinant in proper fitment on the 94/95, although different heads will likely change the formula, as well. (I'm running GT40-P's.)

I'd like to verify this if anyone has definitive info.

Thanks,

Andy

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, it probably would, except I'm already using a gasket that's 5/16" thick now, and not sure going thicker would be wise. Maybe if I added the thinnest one(s) I could find. I have to be careful with clearance of the EGR mounting point on the intake, though. I can currently slip 2-3 sheets of paper between it and the VC. Nothing a hit with the grinder couldn't remedy, I guess, for a small relief.

The good news is I was able to loosen the VC this evening, and "persuade" it to move a few more thousandths, and the offending rocker is no longer tapping on it. I'm thinking of still getting the fox covers and trying to make them work though, so I don't have to deal with this "micro-clearance" in the future.

The oil filler position will be critical, as there's a lot of stuff running past the current one, as well as the TB interference concern.

Andy

#4 ·
An update: I have seen side-by-side pics of covers from a '93 and from a previous year, and can confirm that the '93 covers do not have the vertical ribs inside. The '93 covers also do appear to position the filler neck further forward than the earlier units. Whether or not it's enough to make a difference on fitment remains to be determined. I'm hoping to get better pics of this, and also to verify the year of the older covers.

Andy

#8 ·
#12 ·
I received the '93 Fox VC's last week, and took a look at things this past weekend.

First, some pics:

'89 Fox Valve Covers

'93 Fox Valve Covers

Inside - '93 VC's (Left) and '89 VC's (Right)

Confirmed:

1) The '93 covers do *not* have the vertical ribs inside.
2) There is an "F2" designation stamped iinside the '93 covers I received.
3) The oil fill on the '93 VC's is placed forward of those on the '89 covers.

From eyeballing things this weekend. it appears that the oil fill on the '93 covers will not interfere with the IAC, TB, etc. For now, my stock covers are remaining in place, but the next time the intake comes off, I plan to work on fitting these.

Hope this info helps someone in the interim.

Andy

#13 ·
all i had to to fit the passenger side cover was unbolt the baffle. i think if i trim it it will fit with a partial baffle installed. i dropped the other cover on the passenger side and it fell right in place. it didnt touch the alternator bolt at all some paople say touches with fox covers

#17 ·
I've swapped fox covers on my old 95 GT and my 94 Cobra. The GT required me to grind some of the valve cover to clear the alternator bolt. My Cobra did not require any modifications, the alternator bolt just barely kissed the valve cover when everything was bolted up. And of course with an S Trim it's nowhere near hitting lol.

#18 ·
as mentioned, it's not hard either way. put them on my old 95 GT and 94. both needed the inside clearanced with a grinder for the roller rockers. and both needed clearanced for the alternator. don't paint/polish/powder coat until you've made sure they fit.

best valve covers IMO. cheap and look good when cleaned up. also seal great.

mike

#20 ·
as mentioned, it's not hard either way. put them on my old 95 GT and 94. both needed the inside clearanced with a grinder for the roller rockers. and both needed clearanced for the alternator. don't paint/polish/powder coat until you've made sure they fit.
Same question, Mike. I am betting both sets were pre-1993?

Andy

#25 ·
That's exactly my setup. It's not that big of a deal really. There's only like two places where mine were hitting. I clearanced it all and then ran them for a while. Next time I had them off I could see a small place where it was still touching and took care of it!

#30 ·
I run the FRPP chrome fox covers on my 94 cobra with AFR 165's and the blue 1.6 ped mount RR's. They are the 93 style with no ribs inside. They cleared the alternator fine too without any mods. The only issue I had was the oil fill tube made it so that my oil fill cap would hit the IAC or TB, so what I did was find a extra fox cover with the oil fill tube and then took my chrome cover and cut the oil fill tube off directly below the little vac fitting and then took the extra valve cover and cut that oil fill tube off close to the cover itself and then got some rubber hose that fit it and that allowed me to make the oil fill tube taller and another nice thing was that it allowed me to rotate the tube so the vac fitting could point any direction I wanted it to. I even used a fancy oil fill tube cap and it stilled cleared everything in good shape. Good Luck!

Attachments

#35 ·
Ok ran into some issues with the fox valve covers clearing my roller rockers last night.... decided to stop working and head to the local watering hole for some wings and a few brews so it all worked out fine!
Back to the issue at hand, my valve covers of which I do not know the year they are from, have enough bracing inside to save the titanic from its demise!
These do not have the F2 stamping inside them and that's probably where I went wrong to begin with. I've heard these would work but the amount of grinding just doesn't make sense only to have it hit my alternator once it clears the rockers.
Does anyone know of a valve cover set up that will in fact clear the rockers and alternator without using a spacer to raise up the upper intake...? I'm hearing if I do swap to aftermarket covers I may need to use a spacer to get the upper to clear the taller covers and my intake bolt head is already digging into the insulator pad as it is. Not against spending the money but would rather not if someone has a cheaper alternative that would serve the same purpose. Thanks in advance

#37 ·
Other threads have indicated that those vertical often bosses need to be ground down flush, at least the ones on the upper side of the cover. Fitting around the alternator (if it is in fact an issue in your case) should be a matter of only minor modification. I like the Fox covers, and would proceed with the required work since you have them. If you want the simple approach, the shorter Trickflow covers have been stated to fit without modification, and without spacers.

Andy

#38 ·
Thanks for the reply Trick, I too like the look of the stock vc and would rather stay with them.
I knew the Trick Flow vc would be thrown out there but seeing as how nothing else is Trick Flow on the car I think I may track down some F2A vc and do whats needed for fitment..
I have seen some grinding work on some of these covers and it looks pretty extensive. I guess I am really just looking for an easier way to do it without all the grinding, cleaning, checking fitment and repeat... who knows, may just have to bite the bullet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.